SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

What's happenin' with my baby Ruby red grapefruit tree ?

Curious if anyone out there can help me solve the mystery of what is nagging my young and precious Ruby Red grapefruit tree. Bought it at a local nursery a year ago,.. a healthy, vibrant specimen, holding onto four ( 4 ) huge, yellow RRG's,..ea larger than a softball ! Planted the small tree ( almost 4 ' tall ) in early Dec, 2017 after plucking the 4 fruits.

Wifey and I were somewhat apprehensive ever since I lost a 20 ' tall RRG tree to Citrus Greening 4 yrs ago ! So, as a precaution, we ordered & received ( free ) from The Florida Dept of Agriculture, a small plastic vial with hundreds of tiny " Parasitic Wasps ",...( actually the size of gnats ). Taped the bottle to the trunk and watched for next 3 days as they all crawled onto the small tree !

Then a month later I even spread 4, 5 shovelfuls of rich, black homemade compost around the base of the trunk ! All set for a dynamite growth spurt, right ? Didn't happen ! Looked good for awhile, then stopped,.. tree is now 4' 9 " tall, with a dozen small green/yellow fruits, 1/3 of which have black smudges, + some wrinkled leaves, - just a month away from the tree's normal harvest time ( Dec - Feb ). The largest are only the size of a baseball !

We fertilized maybe 3x with 10 - 10 - 10,...regret not using the big bag of Vigoro Avocado & Citrus fertilizer we just bought,...but am wondering, is it too late ? Or maybe that's not the problem ?

Am concerned due to the fact that I rate the Ruby Red's as my favorite tasting fruit ! Yes, even more so than my scrumptious Kent Mango's !!! :o)

A few pic's taken just now !

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022