SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

An update on my hubby and his cancer and Hospice

Jasdip
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I haven't done any posting about hubby's health in a while. He had come home from re-hab end of Sept and was able to use a walker for a bit. Only a few days later he had very little to no strength to stand. He's wheel-chair bound and I have daily care coming in to help me......wash him, get him in and out of bed, etc etc.

He spent the day in the wheelchair, and we'd talk, watch movies, hang out etc.

This past Monday we had an app't with the oncologist and an MRI. The dr took one look at hubby and said that the cancer drugs aren't working so not to continue/renew them. He said "it's a matter of weeks, maybe a month or two."

I honestly think hearing those words sent hubby's body into shock. I know I was in shock, so I can't imagine how he was feeling. This week has been a fast slide downhill. He's in bed all the time, just wants to sleep and not wake up. We have a nurse come in daily, there are still meds to give him (one huge concern for me is he has fluid on his lungs). They have an anti-biotic for him in the thought that it's pneumonia. I give him the meds, dilaudin for pain etc, and he fights it. The nurse has seen more of a downturn even since yesterday, so he's going into hospice tomorrow.

On one hand I'm glad it's quick, for him not to linger and keep suffering. Obviously the ba*tard of a cancer doesn't want to go away. On the other hand, because it's quick, I'm devastated.

ETA: The care coordinator asked hubby where he would like to be and he wants to be home with me. I was all for this all week, except now that he's worse, I really really don't want to be there at the end. I can't imagine walking in to see him and he's gone. Hospice is the best place.

It's a lovely place, very well respected. Out in the country with trees, 6 private rooms and a large sunroom. Meals are provided, but he's not eating at all. Zilch appetite.

I was asked if I wanted an overnight nurse to come in and be with us in case he's of need. Our door right now is revolving with people in and out all the time, I didn't want anyone staying here overnight as well.

LOL.....I'm a prime candidate for phone scams. Every single number of the care providers come in as "anonymous' and I answer every call.

Comments (155)