SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theroselvr

My hubby.. continued

theroselvr
14 years ago

I was waiting to see if the posts would come back but see they haven't. This is the latest in the saga..

My teen has been having mouth issues; she had 4 impacted wisdom teeth. 2 were removed in October before we started his treatment, another was done in late February; that one was the pits. It was top right wisdom tooth; her jaw was so painful she could barely open it for a long time. I ended up finding another oral surgeon who managed to get her jaw to open enough so that she could have tooth 4 pulled on 4/1. Poor kid then had issues again due to tooth 3; and finally in the last 2 weeks she's healing.

He went back to work 4/13 - light duty, driving a yard van at the port. He drives the truckers around to pick up their new cars (Mazdas) so they can load them on their car carriers. He's been getting up at 2am; going to sleep about 8pm - 5 days a week. He had to take his truck to the shop; once it was done he drove it to the port to get the trailer worked on. They couldn't keep his truck running so he had to bring it to someone else to get fixed. He picked everything up last week; finished out the week in the yard van & today is back to the life of a trucker. I don't know if he'll be able to handle it & I'm going to worry all day.

As most of you know; truckers that deliver cars have to drive the cars up on the trailer; then walk back down. Delivering, he has to walk up & drive down. I hope he is able to do this. He fell a few years ago from the top deck (as did another guy) so I worry.

He's looking pretty good. He's had pain issues from sitting around so long and now using his body. He still suffers with lack of saliva; and his throat. I think the things that saved him with swallowing was him being stubborn during treatment. Most people put water through the feeding tube because it's painful to swallow; he hated doing that because he'd have to pee too much. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that have swallowing issues; have to have their throat opened.. he is very fortunate. He's also fortunate that he doesn't have pain where his neck dissection was; but it's still early to tell. The Dr said that how ever he is at the 1 year mark is a good indication of how he will be; that's 4 more months.

He has a CT scan of the neck within the next few weeks. I don't know why they are doing a CT instead of a PET scan. I also don't know why they are only doing the neck; because IMO, they should do lungs too. From what I've read, the lungs are where it most likely goes next. I'm nervous because I've read a lot of posts from others with his cancer; around this time is when stuff would pop up.

A few weeks ago we started getting large bills.. apparently at some point his insurance got maxed out. I've been pretty calm about it; he, not so much. For some reason they are not covering about $500 of the original ENT's bill from August; which should have been paid 1st. Then there are multiple things at Jefferson; from the hospital ($15,000), oncologist, ENT (so far a few hundred) & radiation ($35,000). There was another for medical supplies; $250; the lady I spoke to yesterday cut it in 1/2 for us.

I'm in the process of sifting through insurance papers verses bills coming in. If I need to apply for charity care, I need to do it asap. He also found out that we will need to be a trailer by September; of course I worry who will give us a loan for that kind of money when he hasn't worked in 7 months.

All in all, I would not change my decision to treat there. His life & outcome are worth more then what ever debt we will have. So far he's doing well; and hopefully will continue to do so. I hope by this time next year it's just a bad memory.

Happy mothers day. Hope everyone is enjoying their roses! My garden is starting to bloom & I'm trying to enjoy it. I'm not sure how long we will be able to keep this house; it all depends on what shape he will be left in. IF he can't drive the truck we'll have to consider selling.

Pics of the garden.. taken with my blackberry. I haven't had time to upload from the new (bought last year) Nikon D 5000. I miss having a digital, not sure I like this camera. Blackberry doesn't take bad pictures; better then my last cell phone lol
{{gwi:207182}}Garden2010

Here is a link that might be useful: Full post on rose forum - My hubby, need prayers

Comments (5)