SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hort_lvr_4life

Tapla...my poor Ficus 'Alii' + my hubby = :-(

15 years ago

So we recently moved in the FREEZING COLD. I warned my husband I'd move my plants on my own because I don't trust that anyone would know how to protect them from the elements as I do. So he saw Mr. Ficus 'Alii' looking cold in the living room and put him in the moving truck, transported him to and move him into the new home unprotected from the elements. :-(

In just a few minutes the leaves were drooping...hours, drying. Next day I trimmed him down to twig status.

Now, three weeks later, he's not doing anything so I trimmed him better yesterday, getting rid of more dead, but also found the main trunk is not dead - the vascular bundle is wet. Roots are good (except the peat concrete). I took the pot outside and worked all the soil I could off the roots. Last night, I put the root ball in a plastic bag and tied it at the trunk for moisture retention. Today, I am buying the ingredients for the "Al's Famous Soil Mix" and will put Mr. Ficus 'Alii' in it.

Now, if it were ANY other plant (other than my Hoya carnosa from my late uncle) I'd never make a fuss; I'd throw it out. However, I air layered this in college and it has great sentimental value.

So, what now? I asked the tree forum, but was basically told, "Good luck," with no more info.

Obviously, I will be watering. The root ball will have to be beat a bit more to knock some more peat loose. Do I fertilize? (I have been). Do I cut any of the roots? Do I trim the trunk further (though, it's sad-looking enough)?

I really don't want to post a pic; it's sad and makes me even sadder. So, here's more info: the trunk is about 18" tall and not quite the diameter of a dime. It has 14 nodes. No branches or limbs. The root system is fantastic.

Any tips? Anyone else happen to know what to do?

Thank you so much!

Comments (6)