SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmags12

What color white for cabinets to match baltic brown granite?

nina
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The wall color is BM Camouflage. Help please!

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    5 years ago

You need to paint your cabinets the same white as your trim. Any difference between whites will cause either your cabinets or your trim to look dirty.

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for responding! My trim is very white, I thought I should go more creamy off white because of the granite color and backsplash.

• Related Discussions

Baltic Brown or Tropic Brown

Q

Comments (14)
    I understand your dilemma. I was looking for a level 1 or level 2 when we designed our kitchen. I originally chose Giallo Napoleon for my kitchen and Tropic Brown for my master bath. After switching vendors, I felt like I was being pushed into going with Giallo Fiorito which looks alot like the Baltic Brown pattern. I was against it, but wanted to stay within a certain budget. I went to a stone yard with several hundred patterns of slabs and spent hours looking with my cabinet door in hand. I ended up choosing the Giallo Fiorito.After seeing the whole slab of it, I fell in love. It wasn't what I had in mind in the beginning, but once I saw all the other choices and realized that a leval 1 granite performs the same as a any other level of granite, I am more than pleased with my decision. Go with your gut, you will make the right decision. Here is a pic of the Giallo Fiorito in my kitchen. It resembles the Baltic Brown, and I've never thought it looked like bacteria or mold. I'm a biology instructor and grow plenty of cultures of both in Microbiology. However since reading the responses, I'll probably look at it differently! LOL!
    ...See More

Help with a baltic brown granite counter and paint.

Q

Comments (3)
    Here are a few links of ideas that inspired me: This one is FB Wimborne White http://www.charnwoodkitchens.co.uk/kitchen-styles--options/101/5 Not sure of the cream used in this photo...looks like a glaze...I am just planning on painting for now. http://www.stonetilesales.co.uk/worktops.html http://marble1.com/samples/Baltic%20Brown.jpg http://www.graniteworksurfaces.com/gallery/kitchens I think that gives some good idea of what I am going for... I picked the dimity originally because I was worried that whiter whites might be to stark, but after looking through dozens of decorating forums, seems as if dimity is a better wall paint? Should I use pointing for the cabinet and maybe wimborne white for the trim? Or even james white? I'm so confused...sigh. : ) Thanks again.
    ...See More

Brown granite with white cabinets?

Q

Comments (24)
    Here is the white paint thread. I remember it well but didn't follow closely because it was over my head and I have my cabinet maker's stock white, no name paint on mine. I just glanced briefly at the blog, but I love that kitchen. The wood is more copper in tone -- very different from a coffee tone, not really brown but orange. Would your dh go along with a granite that color? In my mind, wood and granite of the same color lend two different atmospheres to the kitchen. Both can work beautifully, but since you're talking about needing to convince your dh, it may not be what he wants. Here is a link that might be useful: White paint
    ...See More

Update 90s Baltic brown and white kitchen??

Q

Comments (7)
    Since you just bought it I would live with it as is for a few months. Inevitable you will find that there are more changes to the layout that you want to make and I would not invest any time or money until you are sure you want to keep it as is and just do cosmetic updates or move the foot print around. Even though it isn't your style it is still functional for the time being.
    ...See More
  • fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5 years ago

No comment

nina thanked fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I think I’d paint them the same color as your chairs which appear to be a creamy white.

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your input! Yes, the chairs are a creamy white. They are pottery barn chairs, the color is very beigy/creamy. I'd love to find a color somewhere in between the trim and the chair color.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

You dining set pretty much dominates the color scheme in the kitchen area. I don’t think I’d introduce yet a third white in the kitchen, especially if you’re going to paint the cabinetry on the side of the dining table. I’d try to match the chair color and get a sample and try it on a small area. I think any other white is going to look off.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Is the goal to modernize the kitchen? Because those are nice looking cabinets. A better update would be new flooring and new countertops (baltic brown granite screams early 2000)

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I agree that replacing the countertops with one with a creamy background would brighten things up. I’d also replace the bar stools and maybe just paint the overhang that faces the dining area.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Frankly, I wouldn't paint at all

these are nice looking cabinets.

I'm not a fan of Baltic Brown(that we used to have) or travertine backsplashes(which we used to have as an accent..I love yours more)), etc, yet they all seem to work pretty well in your kitchen. Right not, it's a cohesive space. When you paint your cabinets white-you're kinda saying "I tried to modernize the kitchen". Yet in your case, it won't modernize the kitchen. It'll date it to "when everybody painted their kitchen white regardless their other elements"

If you just can't stand stain and are willing to go through hassle of painting, costs, etc-I would look at very warm creams/ivories only. If all the other surfaces are to stay. They're too warm..they need very, very warm white next to them.

You can decide to change other surfaces-and it won't neccessarily be more expensive than a good pro paint job.

Would I personally do that? No..frankly I would not. I'd identify what bothers me in the kitchen the most (if anything) and how I can achieve a change in a way that doesn't require big disruption

Maybe changing lights or adding a rug or smaller tweaks like that will make you happy more than trying to match paint to granite to backsplash to flooring.

Baltic Brown screams nineties(as far as I understand), white cabinets scream something else(2012? I don't remember)..I'd disregard what any separate element might be screaming, and look at the kitchen as a whole, and also as a part of the whole space.

It's a nice kitchen. I'm serious. And the nicest part is cabinets. If you love more of this white, rustic aesthetic-will take more than just paint the cabinets

Or will take much less-there are plenty ways to tie things together with colors and accessories..you don't need a major overhaul for that.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

Why do you want to paint them? They look beautiful from the pictures. If it is to brighten the kitchen, I would think that better lighting and a lighter wall color would help. If it is to modernize/update, I think the floor is dating the space, not the cabinets.

I think your dilemma with the color white to chose illustrates that this is probably a bad idea for this space, unless numerous other features (dining table, backsplash, counters and/or trim/windows) are also changed. I honestly don't think you can find a white that will coordinate well with everything you already have going on.

Another feature that could update, open up, and brighten the space would be to remove the bar. Are the posts load bearing? Do you like the bar? If both answers are no, I would remove it. If it is load bearing and you really want to try painting, I would paint the bar first (the same color as your table) to see if it looks good before trying to paint the cabinets. Good luck!

nina thanked kariyava
  • nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just to give a little history about the house....So, I inherited this kitchen when I got remarried and moved into my husbands home. It has been challenging to change anything over the years and I'm lucky now that he is agreeing to change the cabinets. To change the flooring and granite is not going to happen right now as it would be too much of a big expense. We have a painter friend that is going to do the cabinets at a very good price. Down the road the floor will go though. I've always wanted a white/off white kitchen so now is my opportunity to put my stamp on the house. The lighting was recently changed to what it is now about a year ago (you should have seen what was there prior!) so I can't do too much about that and I like the fixtures. The cabinets are so orange, I just hate them. I don't like the floor or the granite either but it seems the cabinets are the easiest and less costly solution. I have hard wood throughout the house, if I re-do the kitchen floor than I have to do the whole first floor and we priced it out and it was very expensive. So I can't do that right now. We wouldn't consider removing the bar, it is much needed and used everyday (5 kids and many friends). I love all your suggestions and believe me I wish I could rip up the floor and the granite. I still am leaning towards a white cabinet. Not a true white but a creamy white just not sure which color. Can anyone name a nice creamy white that would blend? Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Okay, I understand not being able to make other changes. BUT what I think we're all saying is that without doing any other changes it will be VERY difficult to find a white that will work. You run a very high risk of making things worse, not better. Also, if you go with any sort of white your floors will look way worse.

IMO I suggest you WAIT and save up until you can do a full remodel. Doing a piecemeal kitchen remodel never turns out well.

• kmg11
    5 years ago

I'm in agreement with the others. Painting them would be a big job and they look to be in very good condition.

I think with browns and warm woods more of a creamy white goes well. Your trim seems to be a a brighter white which seems to be throwing it off. I would look into painting this, which I know is not a fun job either!

Also, here's another thought...maybe paint/re-do the grout lines a color that blends with the tile. It makes all the lines fade away. We did this with the grout in our kitchen and it was a huge difference. Used a toothbrush, dipped in the grout stain and painted away! It took a good weekend as we had a large area, but so worth it! No more dirty looking lines, just a little bit of a backache-lol!

• virginia lynn
    5 years ago

I really like your cabinets as is. IMO it would look better if you got a new counter top and back splash.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

To follow up on SSAD's good point about the potential for cream cabinets to clash unfavorably with your tile -- is it possible for you to find the same wood as you have in your adjoining room and pay to run that flooring into your kitchen? (That would be cheaper than replacing all of the flooring on that level since you indicated that was beyond your budget). At least that way you won't have the cabinets/flooring clash if you are set on painting.

Take a look at this kitchen -- it has creamy cabinets and white windows/trim. If this combo does not bother you, then you probably won't be bothered with the white mismatch between your cabinets and windows/trim. If you don't like this look, don't paint your cabinets until you can afford to replace the warmer elements in your space that would prevent you from painting your cabinets a brighter white.

A Kitchen Designed for Family Gathering · More Info

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

To be clear, I didn't suggest to change the lights because I don't like them.

It's just a way to introduce something new if one is vaguely displeased with a room. Lights are like jewelry..they can give a different vibe.

Yours are totally fine.

okay..it's hard to argue with "I hate something", I know the feeling))

I suggest: read this post please..

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2014/03/26/great-shades-white-paint/

(she talks about walls..take into account your paint will be more glossy as it'll be for wood)

she tries to describe every color..obviously look into those she considers warm.

(there are many links like that, I just like her blog..and she really tries to describe and illustrate every color. )

take samples of warm whites in the stores..ask your friend to make samples for you on wood..put them vertically-as they'll be installed..look at them next to your counters, backsplash, flooring

alternatively, I can see your floor tile has this decorative detail, with white in it?(it's nice..I like it)

do you have a spare tile like this?

if yes-you can try and ask to match its color. see how looks like

or actually any warm cream you might have..around the house..a candle? a throw pillow? check them against your kitchen..if you have a feeling they migh work-you can try and color match these

also. don't look under "whites" only. look under"yellows" ..under "reds" even

your perfect cream might be hiding there

it takes time. but it's time worth investing

nobody will know the exact shade that will work best in your kitchen. It's all general suggestions. That might work for your kitchen or might not. Use them-but check each one in your space, in your light. Before making any decisions/

Good luck..I hope you'll share your progress. whatever road you decide to take.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I think aprilneverends' post is a very good one. It doesn't matter how many people want you to keep the brown wood - if it doesn't work for you that's all that matters. Frankly, I would feel the same and would want to paint even though the wood is very nice. What I don't care for, and you probably don't either, is the overall look it gives the kitchen. If funds were not an object (and when are they not?) of course you could wait an unforeseen amount of time and hope that nothing else interferes, and do everything all at once. If you want the cabinets changed now I would go ahead and do it. Keep in mind the points in april's post above which seem very sensible. I would love to see how it all turns out.

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I'm going to get new bar stools (what kind, send pics of examples please) and redo the grout on the floor. Husband said I could look into just doing the kitchen floor to match the existing in the house which is pretty much the same color of the cabinets. Only with that than there would be more of that orangy honey color that I don't like. I am at a stand still because we can't afford to redo the floor and the granite right now. I have lived with his ex-wife's taste in the kitchen for 6 years and I just want to change it easily and without spending a ton of money. I have never felt like the kitchen was mine but I do have an opportunity to do a little bit now. My painter is coming on Monday and I am going to look into very warm creamy off whites. Maybe we will win the lottery and I can redo the whole thing!! Thanks everyone, I'll post more pics when we are done.

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions for new bar stools?

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

NEW IDEA!!! How about just paint the island white and leave the rest and hubby said we could do floor. But what color floor now?

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

maybe BM Dove White for the island?

• lizziesma
    5 years ago

I guess orange is a matter of individual eyes...mine don't see orange, they see pretty wood cabinets. That said, I understand your wish to make it yours. I'm sure you'll receive many good ideas for changing your floors from the pros, which I'm not. I do wish you luck in your "new" home and look forward to an update.

nina thanked lizziesma
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

do you want to continue the wood you have-or would you rather use tile again?

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Im open to both. If i continue wood floor it will match the cabinets but i thought that was a design no-no. Do i do another color.? I love a wider plank But the rest of the house is the old skinny kind.

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a pick of the entry with kitcheN in background

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Foyer
  • nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another view
  • nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Family room next to kitchen
  • grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

Continue that beautiful flooring into the kitchen. I am so happy to read that you will change the floor. That is the only jarring thing in your space. Once that is done it will not be such a big deal to eventually change the countertops. Use some pretty area rugs, accessories that will make it yours. Keep in mind that for those of us who are older than HGTV orange cabinets did not exist. They were simply wood.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I agree with grapefruit..except I don't find the existing flooring neccessarily jarring...but wood floors you have are beautiful...and it's always better to match as best as possible, if it's same material. Really, beatiful flooring.

lack of contrast can be taken care of with rugs, floor cloths, you name it. And I don't think it would be a big deal, in your place

Also if you decide to paint your island, after all-here, there's your contrast too

like your new barstools btw

• Kim Weaver
    5 years ago
    I’m always reading on here of people advising to get “cooler” bulbs. Would that help with the orange-y color you see?
  • nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you. Ok i will continue the same flooring in kitchen and paint the island. The barstools are not new but they they are staying for now, i like them too. I need new barstools for the bar in between kitchen and family room. Any suggestions?

• nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe i will change out the bulbs too!

• kmg11
    5 years ago

Just a thought-

Do you need to have barstools at both islands? You have two islands with seating plus a table in the space. Maybe eliminate some of those barstools.

Also, what about painting the ones at the island like your dining chairs and leaving the island as is?

Maybe a lighter/creamier countertop in the future? Just food for thought.

I do like when the same flooring runs throughout! I've never pulled up tile, but I'm sure it's quite a job!

nina thanked kmg11
  • nina
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We actually do need the seating, 5 kids and tons of friends. And yes, a lighter countertop would be perfect, maybe a beigy marble. For barstools I like the saddle seats, they are narrow and not too bulky. Maybe in off white to match kitchen or a distressed gray. Target has a lot of nice ones.