SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljohnson28

Bedroom Curtain Ideas

5 years ago

I'm looking for advice on what curtains/fabric might work best in my son's bedroom. I just finished painting the walls, which are BM Monterey White and do plan to add an accent pillow of some kind once I figure out drapes. This is a large bedroom, with 2 of these long windows in the room. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    5 years ago

How old is your son? And can we see the whole room?

• Related Discussions

Idea for curtain of blind bor bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    I think you want to post your questions over on the design board, not in the gallery. You'll get more answers there. Try this: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/?10086
    ...See More

Curtains for boys bedroom - help please!

Q

Comments (8)
    How about Pottery Barn Kids navy blackout curtains? They are lined and heavy and I think they would look more generous on the window than the JCP ones you bought. They also have some new patterns out that your son might like. There is a navy pattern with thin pinstripes. There is also a navy gingham but your son might find that too babyish. Country Curtains has a navy check curtain as well but I would make sure they are lined so they aren't too skimpy.
    ...See More

Need curtain ideas for Master Bedroom

Q

Comments (10)
    Navy because that’s my dad wanted a blue bedroom so she bought the fabric in navy. It took her months to pick the bedding , would a different wall color help? And still use the navy? I will upload more pictures of the room when she sends me some. I am not sure the layout of the room allows to move the bed (giant tv on the other wall).
    ...See More

A big window in master bedroom closet and none in the master bedroom

Q

Comments (4)
    Guessing the window is there for curb appeal on the front façade. Have you drawn a mock up to see what that would look like? Sky light /solar tubes add TONS of natural light!! Gotta wonder who the architect was and if it would be cheaper to move the closet so the window is part of the room, than mess with outside walls!!
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

My son is 19 and away at college. We've been working to give the room a more adult look and recently updated the furniture with nicer items. Previously, the room had Ikea furniture that I didn't have to worry about teenage boys destroying! We also took down tons of childhood posters and memorablia, before painting. I'll post a few more pictures when I go home. Thanks for your response.

• 5 years ago

I would try a pop of a blue Linen or twill curtain.

Louise Johnson thanked Robin Reyes
  • 5 years ago

Curtain panels are going to be a problem with the side table. Shutters would look stunning in that room.

• 5 years ago

Will he be keeping the shades up during the day? A double rod with sheers and blue or linen curtains (as Robin Reyes) suggested would give daytime privacy as well as decorative pattern.

A 19 year old is a young adult. He may have very definite opinions on the lamps and curtains. A small decorative pillow is not likely to be appreciated, IMHO, while the nice big new pillows will probably appeal to him a lot.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Sorry but that space looks like a granny bedroom no 19 yr old I know would like that decor. Ask him what he wants first then come back right now this is a room you want .Did you ask him he wanted the memoribilia removed this is his space ask questions.

• 5 years ago

Here are a few more pictures of the room. I'll eventually replace the bookshelf and entertainment stand with nicer furniture, but this is the way it looks now.

Our son was ready for a more updated look and liked the bed and bedding. He is in school 10 hours away and therefore home for holidays and will likely be studying abroad this summer. When he is home he wants his books, tv/Playstation, and a couch for friends to crash. The rest is negotiable.

• 5 years ago
    I don’t think drapes are the solution until you address the overall layout of this room and color scheme. Seems the sofa and carpet don’t harmonize well color wise IMO and I noticed this in your ideabook that might work for layout.
    Pacific Palisades · More Info

The TV really needs to go on the opposite wall and if you use comfy swivel chairs like this arrangement he and a friend can comfortably hang out. The TV placement where it currently sits will fight with any drapes and just create more awkwardness. Once you get the chairs picked out that will help determine drapes. If you said no way to ditching the sofa then I’d say just leave the windows as they are until your son moves out after college and then you can rethink the whole sofa thing. Good luck!
  • PRO
    5 years ago

How does your son feel about losing his childhood room? You've basically turned it into a guest room.

Years ago, there used to be a column in House Beautiful by a wonderful woman, Dee Hardie. Oh how I looked forward to her monthly column! Everyone wanted her for their next door neighbor/best friend.

She told how she redid a daughter's room when she went to college - it was to be a very grown up room now and a big surprise. DD came home from college, saw her new room, and burst into tears, yelling at her mother, "You've just taken away my entire childhood!". Of course, Dee was devastated - just didn't think of it that way.

My DD is now 46 and her bedroom still has varsity letters on plaques, a chair with stuffed animals, and many other things from her childhood. I think she'd be shattered if I removed them. Her boys love seeing all her old things. It's her room and will stay that way until she dismantles the house to move me out - either to the nursing home or the graveyard!

• 5 years ago
    I don’t know why people assume the OP hasn’t had a discussion with their son about this. Can we leave it to purely design direction so we don’t scare posters away? Sheesh.
  • 5 years ago

I don't know. I have 2 college grandsons, 18 and 20, and another one 25 and out of college. This would not be a room they would want to come home to. While a lot of their childhood mementos may be gone from their rooms, it has been replaced by college and sports memorabilia, still casual in decor, not middle-age adult. Of course all kids are different. What are your son's interests and hobbies? You said he liked the bedding which is surprising; it is quite feminine for a 19 yr old young man. Drapes and sheers would make it more so. Have you actually sat down with him and gotten "his" ideas"?

• 5 years ago
    got email sale from Kohl's showed 40" panel in a blue or blue-grey idk...not too narrow for his? 2 chairs ok, but if tv is better there, I guess sofa is too!
  • 5 years ago

I think it’s an awesome room for a 19 yr old college kid to come home to. Big bed, big couch, mounted tv and mom. I’ve got two 6 ft tall 16 yr old boys that would love that room. as a matter of fact they each picked out bedroom furniture for their bedrooms for our new house after outgrowing twin beds and pottery barn quilts and picked out adult stuff much like this. I’m no designer but I’m putting black out Roman shades on their windows. College kids like to sleep in. I like the bedding but pick out a couple of plush, large throws. One for the bed and one for the couch.

these are my last two Kids. College kids aren’t that picky. They just want a warm, comfortable place to come home and sprawl. Good job imho.

Btw my middle dd studied abroad at Bond Universit...worth checking out!

Louise Johnson thanked ILoveRed
  • 5 years ago

Personally I agree with thinkdesignlive--

• 5 years ago

I just think anglophillia got off topic and put in some non-design advice that just did not belong here.

There is nothing wrong with her design ability

• 5 years ago

I think the room is lovely. Going back to window treatments, I like the idea of Roman shades, but I see you already have functional blinds so in that case I would entertain panels just to "dress" the windows.

• 5 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I agree that the room has a bit of an identity crisis. For the 8 years we’ve lived in the house our son had anything he wanted on the walls & we were always “that house” with tons of kids in & out all the time. He has a huge collection of baseball memorabilia, which I moved (with his blessing) to a small bedroom that is now a home gym. He was home when we did much of this over the summer. He is a musician, but his instruments are at school. I promise he doesn’t feel mistreated!
    I do like the idea of Roman Shades for the room & will look at some options.
    I plan to eventually replace the carpet likely with the hardwood that is in the rest of the house.
  • 5 years ago

The forum is pretty much anti drapery...

How about a menswear type fabric? I feel like the room could use some pattern and some more fabric. Grommet if they will be stationary, ripplefold if you want something to open and close easily.

• 5 years ago
    I also thought something like navy drapes or a striped pattern might work. The Roman shades I looked at were striped as well.
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Louise, you don't need to defend yourself or your son here! Please don't...

I agree with thinkdesignlive...this is a forum for design. Other comments are not well-intentioned, imho. And I, for one, am glad that she commented on it (otherwise I would have been the "school marm" who would have pointed out how rude it is to comment on someone else's parenting...If you won't do it face to face...don't do it while hiding behind the screen....)

I like the idea of navy...what about a pinstripe fabric?

Louise Johnson thanked User
  • 5 years ago

I actually think the room looks pretty great, and if 19-y-o son is on board, so much the better. Love the bed; has a bit of a British Colonial feel.

I do think curtains would finish the room. And unless the TV gets turned so he can watch it in bed, it looks a little high. If you keep it there, I would put a wide dresser underneath. Lamps could also be taller. They look a bit stunted next to that bed.

Louise Johnson thanked groveraxle
  • 5 years ago

Louise Johnson thanked groveraxle
  • 5 years ago

Thank you for these ideas! I do plan to get a larger piece of furniture for below the TV. I would be open to swaping the lamps for larger, less feminine ones. I did consider centering the bed between the windows and placing the TV on the opposite side. If I did this, I might do a couple of chairs where the bookcase is now and move the bookcase. May have to play a bit more with layout options.

• 5 years ago

I LOVE the picture that @thinkdesignlive pulled from my ideabook. Months after adding that picture, I was on FB Marketplace and someone was selling the same Drexel Heritage bed and Restoration Hardware end tables for pennies on the dollar. I couldn't believe my luck!

@Ilovered wow, Bond University looks amazing. Our son will likely be in Russia this summer for 6 weeks as part of a language immersion program. Then, I hope next summer he has an internship before he graduates! He wants a comfy bed, but beyond that he is pretty uninterested in the design of his room. His grandparents use the room more than he does now.

Just for reference, this was his room before:

• 5 years ago
    Louise I like your last idea. I don’t think the TV works there unless it’s centered regardless of what’s below it. Knowing the bed will be an obstacle to that and to TV watching I do think moving it is the best for the room.
    Louise Johnson thanked thinkdesignlive
  • 5 years ago

I like the room. Blue would be a nice touch. Your son will be moving on (and away) with his life soon anyway.

• 5 years ago

I didn't know drapes had a gender.

• 5 years ago
    Wanted to post an update for my son’s room. I rearranged the room as several of you suggested. I ended up getting rid of the couch and replacing it with a comfy chair and ottoman. I went with navy drapes that have a heavy cotton weave texture. Below are a few pictures:
  • 5 years ago
    Thanks to everyone who weighed in and gave advice. :)
  • 5 years ago

That looks great.

• 5 years ago

Very nice! I like everything about the new arrangement, drapes and furniture.

• 5 years ago

Much better outcome than what you started with!

• 5 years ago

You could put a foam mattress under the big bed for his friends who couch surf?