SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2015

Any predictions for how my pansies will do here?

begonia2015
5 years ago

It didn't occur to me until recently that cold season doesn't have to mean empty, depressing containers on my deck rails. I never kept any outdoor containers once the summer flowers died out. When I pull out the spent summer flowers, the deck gets depressing.

So this year I decided to fill them with cold season plants - so of course, I went for pansies.

I have never grown pansies before.

After doing a bit of research on them, I wonder about how they will do under my particular conditions. Will they bloom profusely enough all the way through spring (minus any really cold periods) or will I end up with a mass of greenery with sparse bloom, if any?

These are my conditions:

- I am in GA (north Atlanta) - LOTS of pansies being planted here, generally speaking.

- I planted them during the first week of October which is the "textbook" time for pansy planting in GA for the cold season. Trouble is we have had an exceptionally warm beginning of October with temps in the high 80's, even low 90's - not exactly ideal for pansy planting.

- They are on the deck, in over-the-rail planters, facing East. That means they will be getting some morning to right-after-noon sun but after that, sun is going on the other side of the house.

Will this be enough sun for the GA cold season or would they have done better in a west facing bed where they could get stronger afternoon sun?

After all, winter morning sun will be much less potent than the summer morning sun which is considered ideal for many plants in the south.

I don't want to end up with a container full of salad and hardly any color.

Now they are fresh from the nursery and while they have some blooms, they don't yet have the mass of blooms you see in ideal pansy pictures. Maybe that's because they've been in quite a bit of heat, which they don't like, right?

Should I expect better blooming once the temps drop?

How long does a pansy flower survive on its stem before starting to wilt?

Thank you so much for any predictions on how these containers will (or will not) work out and any advice to maximize bloom, under the circumstances.

Comments (4)