SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irissto

About Amazon Prime shipping times

I have placed one order Thursday night for one item. It said to arrive by Monday the 24th even though it was Prime. No big deal, it was a bigger item, so I thought it might take longer. Placed an order for a couple of items (all Prime) just now. It said again the 24th. One of the items is a replacement plant light, so I don’t think the plants will be too happy. Tried to do a search, but didn’t really find anything. Since when does it take more than a week to get the stuff? Of course I could have added 17 dollars to get it in one day shipping, but Prime just did get more expensive anyway.

Comments (48)

• lucillle
    5 years ago

Could it have anything to do with the recent weather?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked lucillle
  • aok27502
    5 years ago

Are you certain that all the items qualify for prime shipping? If they're shipped from a third party, it doesn't apply.

Pretty much we get stuff in 1-2 days if it's truly fulfilled by Amazon.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked aok27502
  • Related Discussions

Kindle Fire, Amazon Prime, etc.

Q

Comments (17)
    "My son shared his Amazon Prime membership with me, so I get free shipping, but when I try to borrow a book from the Lending Library, it won't work. Maybe the Lending Library is just for primary Prime members not the ones who it was shared to. If that makes any sense...." You can only download books to Kindles or other "apparatus" (like a pc or BlackBerry or iPhone, etc.) if that equipment is registered to the account of the person with the Prime membership.
    ...See More

I don't understand Amazon Prime!

Q

Comments (47)
    Linelle, I don't know anything about Amazon Household. I'm the one with the Amazon account in my house. Usually dh just sends me a link to something on Amazon when he wants to order something, but he could easily log in using my username and password. My mom uses my Amazon account to watch videos on her iPad. I just logged into Amazon Prime on her iPad with my username and password, and she can now watch movies. She and my father have a regular Amazon account, and she doesn't usually need 2-day shipping but a couple of times when she needed something quickly, I have just ordered it for her. Her credit card number is saved in my account. I have an address book in Amazon with addresses saved for people I occasionally send gifts to (my relatives). When I place an order, you have the option to choose the method of payment and address for shipping so I just switch to my mom's credit card and address when she wants me to buy something for her. You could always do that with your daughter if she doesn't or can't set up a Household account, assuming you don't mind if she has your credit card saved in her account. Or, she could give you her log in information and you can just order things right from her account using your own credit card.
    ...See More

Amazon Prime..would you?

Q

Comments (53)
    We have had prime for years, even before they offered streaming. Somehow I received my first year free and there has been no looking back. What I like the most is not having to drive around looking for whatever it is I am trying to buy, it always seems to be a challenge. That said I do review prices between other stores/websites such as Target, and Home Depot, for example Amazon does not even come close to meeting the price I pay for bird seed through Home Depot. Even with shopping other websites and locally for many things, Amazon is a huge timesaver and worth the money for me.
    ...See More

Amazon’s new pilot program for Prime & Whole Foods

Q

Comments (24)
    vgkg - yep, I've seen similar here. Aldi has raised their Sea Scallops twice in the last few months. They had been $9.99 for 12 oz. back in the early spring and then went up to $11.99 around May and just went up again to $13.99. Still a lot cheaper than the price you are seeing. I haven't seen snow crab for $5/lb here for over a decade. They have been in the mid teens per pound since pre-covid with an occasional sale around $10. Now I don't even bother to look at them. I'd rather have King Crab but I'm not paying what they are asking these days.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

Earlier in the day is one time, later adds a day or so. Saturday and Sunday don't count.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked User
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I double checked. There is one of the items that has a seller and is fulfilled by Amazon. This is the one thing I ordered separately on Thursday for example.

• User
    5 years ago

If it doesn't have the "prime" logo near the price, you don't get Prime shipping. I'm still waiting for some beads I ordered in August, which I should get by the end of September. Free shipping, but they're from China. I ordered items for my Instant Pots and they arrived 48 hours after I ordered them. BUT: if I ordered on a Thursday or Friday, I may not get the items until Monday or Tuesday because there's not weekend delivery here.

• maddielee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

All items do not ship immediately delaying delivery on some. Weekends are are not business days.

This from Amazon.

"FREE Two-Day Shipping

Over 100 million items that arrive two business days after they ship"

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked maddielee
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

All of the items I ordered had the prime logo. I order from Amazon a lot, so I was wondering if they changed something. Ordering today, I would expect something like “delivery by Thursday if you order in the next 4 hours”

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    5 years ago

If the item contains lithium batteries, maybe the slower shipping has to do with shipping restrictions on lithium batteries?

For example, I can get that same blower by Tuesday. Maybe in my case it would come from across the state and in your case it would come from a warehouse a little further away?

Clicking "Details" might explain the delay?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I have found many items are shipped from China and it does not tell you that anywhere. But the dates can be a hint.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I clicked on the details, nothing about batteries or anything like that. Here is another one. No batteries. I am so used to get the things quickly. Guess I will email them if this is the way it stays.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Those two green things are a battery and a charger. The battery is a lithium and must come via a truck. I purchased an electric chain saw earlier this year and that is the exact same battery that came with it from Greenworks. Recently few things that I order have been being delivered by the mail but by UPS. I think it started the middle of August.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked maifleur01
  • sephia_wa
    5 years ago

I just tried it, and it said I wouldn't get it until next Thur, 9/20. I live 10 min from the huge Amazon distribution center in Seattle.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked sephia_wa
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

Has it been shipped? Sometimes if you go to Track your package it will tell you where it was shipped from. I think my chain saw was shipped from New Jersey.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just for fun I looked at some other items from my daughters wishlists that are prime. The date for all of them says 25th. It’s a bit weird since it seems to work for all of you. I am not a customer to return a lot of things to be placed on some blacklist.

5 years ago

Maybe Lucille is right, the conditions in your area?
    They might be giving you a worst case date and it won't really take that long?

I have an item shipped by a 3rd party seller coming from Greensboro, North Carolina. It seems to be moving and they (USPS) expect it will be here (Vero Beach, Florida) on Monday. Maybe it won't.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Iris I looked at their website. Although it stated they have a ecommerce office in Seattle, Washington their US head office is in Mooresville, NC. I am not certain if a ecommerce office is just a selling office but I think so.

Edited to add that your OP stated it would arrive Monday the 24th. Monday is not the 24th.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The 24th is a Monday. Just not the Monday I would expect it with Prime shipping.

• User
    5 years ago

Iris, I checked the blower you ordered and for me it is showing if I order today, I get it Tuesday the 18th. You may get yours sooner, but I bet the delay is your address in South Carolina. The warehouse yours is coming from is probably impacted by Florence even if you are not.

ETA: Your warehouse could also be out of stock and mine is instock.

• User
    5 years ago

I ordered 15 packages of rawhide chews our dog liked that were being discontinued at the pet store. They came from all over the country in 12 different boxes!

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have no problem if this is weather related and temporary. I was just wondering if something changed with Prime since I didn’t see anything that orders to the East coast would be delayed because of the weather.

• User
    5 years ago

This is just food for thought.....

I used to be a big fan of Prime and Amazon, but lately, as in the past year and a half or so, there have been some notable changes to their business model that I’m not so thrilled with especially in light of the 20.00 price hike this year.

1. The Prime options of a product are always a few dollars more than the same product without prime. So between the annual fee and the higher price, you’re basically paying for that 2 day ship fee.

2. The 2 business day model is becoming more and more infrequent.

3. The sellers are not monitored and you are always at risk of unwittingly getting copycats.

4. They have altered their return policy. Use it more than they think you should and your account is automatically canceled, even the subscriptions you’ve paid for and are prime dependent.

5. Their pricing is not usually any better than what I can get at a local store AND now I have to pay taxes on purchases too.

6. ETA: They now use a combination of shipping services which primarily entails the postal service. We’ve had several problems with deliveries and I’m just not a fan.

During this past year, before I turn to Amazon, I’ve been trying to buy locally instead. At least that way I’m supporting local businesses and because of Amazon, they need all the help they can get. We’re up for renewal in November and I’m seriously considering the idea of canceling it all together.

• User
    5 years ago

If I could buy the item locally, I would. The ONLY reason I started shopping Amazon and the ONLY reason I order now, is that NO ONE carries it local. The daybed I ordered, not one furniture store in a 100 mile radius even had a display, you had to order from a catalog. (and it took 6 weeks to come.)

Nothing I order from Amazon or Ebay is available local.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

" I didn’t see anything that orders to the East coast would be delayed because of the weather. "

How could you POSSIBLY not figure that out? Have you not watched the news??

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Chessie
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chess-yeah, of course I have watched the news. They do usually say something though. Due to winter storm, hurricane or whatever. This time I just had a longer than expected date on my items.

• chisue
    5 years ago

I order so little that I didn't know I'd get a $1 credit for not caring when the stuff I ordered arrived. (Disposable paper bags for our central vacuum.)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked chisue
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I'm a very satisfied Amazon Prime customer at probably a mid-range level of buying activity. For me, it's all about convenience, availability, and fair prices.

I probably average two purchases a month. I've never had an issue with two day Prime delivery (which sometimes involves the US Postal Service for smaller items) and sometimes things arrive in one day. I live in an area that I suspect has a high concentration of Amazon buyers and maybe Amazon is more geared up to successfully handle the volume here compared to other areas, I don't know.

Whenever possible, I avoid Marketplace seller shipping and instead, I look for the same item sold by or fulfilled by Amazon. Even at a higher price, just to minimize the chance of a hassle.

Returns are a breeze, no questions asked.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I have been using Amazon Prime for over a year. No problems until a few weeks ago. Prime order said to arrive on Sat (I needed it Sat). Got an email confirming this. Then I got an email from Amazon saying it would ship on Sept 13! I called and they could never give me a reasonable explanation (English not being CS man's first language didn't help) so I cancelled the order.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Anglophilia
  • share_oh
    5 years ago

I've been a prime member for several years. Used to be everything was "free" 2 day shipping... then this past year especially it would say that but when I ordered it might say delivery was free 2 day... but it was not 2 days from then. I kept complaining every time. I got several free months from them for basically deceptive advertising. Finally it no longer says free 2 days but it will say free delivery by ____ date. That's fine with me.

Don't tell me it's free shipping in 2 days when it's not. If it takes longer, then so be it, but quit saying 2 days. I guess they finally got that - at least with my orders!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked share_oh
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 years ago

On a side note, if you haven’t ordered the blower yet check out the Ego 530. It got really good ratings. I bought one at at a big box store last week for $179. Loving it.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I did order it. The Greenworks chainsaw is working very well for us, so I thought I stick with the brand.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

My brother was here in VA over the weekend and left Sunday morning to go back to FL. It took him TEN and a half hours to get from Rocky Mt, NC to Florence SC. There are so many road closures it is just unbelievable. I am surprised if anyone is getting any orders anywhere, on time.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Chessie
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh no! That’s terrible! Thankfully the weather in my area turned out far better than predicted. I got 1.5 inches of rain total instead of the at least 8 inches they predicted.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

The last thing I ordered from Amazon had an expected delivery date of 10 days (no, it wasn't Prime, but it did qualify for free shipping). I received it in two days!

There is a warehouse just south of Cincinnati, and a few more have opened in Ohio, so things often arrive in 1-2 days; but some things come from far and can take a long time.

"Last mile" via USPS has been a real problem, though. Tracking says delivered although it wasn't, and might not show up for several days, or has been mis-delivered, or has just disappeared.

Elmer, you may have an Amazon facility fairly close to you also which would account for the rapid arrivals.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • pkramer60
    5 years ago

You are in SC and your have just suffered through a hurricane. Many roads, including the interstates are too flooded to travel through. The Governor of your state has asked that non-essential travel be curtailed until flooding damage and dangers are gone. Have patience, one weeks wait is not bad and it may even be longer.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked pkramer60
    5 years ago

" ... USPS has been a real problem, though. Tracking says delivered although it wasn't ... "

I don't know if USPS does this everywhere but one time I had a package show as "Delivered" when it had not been. (Not to me that is)

I called the post office and gave the tracking number. The lady was able to see the GPS coordinates (and physical street address) of the location at which the carrier scanned the package "Delivered".

She was able to quickly verify that the package had been misdelivered (and where to).

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn’t say I have a problem, I just wanted to know why. Tried to google it first and there were a bunch of articles that stated prime isn’t 2 days anymore. Some were from 2015 though, so I thought I ask here if there was a change I missed.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

I am sorry it should have been obvious with a hurricane about to hit either North or South Carolina that a delay should be expected. Given the timing adding extra money for one day shipping would not have done anything as the roads are CLOSED.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My point is, it was not said it was a delay. It was just stated as a date. There was one order I placed last year that told me right away that FedEx delivery to my Zip code would be delayed (don’t remember if that was Amazon). I am not anywhere near the coast (and yes I am watching the news and am aware of inland flooding).

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Have to add that I just signed out of my Amazon account and looked up some items. With 2 day delivery (if I sign up for prime) they would again arrive on Monday the 24th. Since I signed out, they shouldn’t know I am in SC, right? And it would still be a week.

edited to show the same book from before. So batteries are not the problem.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I think that, even if you are not signed in, some sites (and perhaps Amazon is one) can see your general location. I won't swear to that, though.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just saw that zooming in. Not my city, but close enough. Thanks.

• Jennilyn Helms
    5 years ago

Iris,

I am in NC and ordered several things the past few days and they all say delivery Mon 24th. I called and inquired about this and was told it was due to Hurricane Florence. They said it may come earlier but do not expect it to. Many roads in and out of NC and SC are packed and/or not driveable so they're not sending trucks through. Hope this helps.

Jennilyn

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Jennilyn Helms
  • Jennilyn Helms
    5 years ago

Just an update,
    Looks like they're getting things out when they can. One of my "Sept 24th" items is currently out for delivery today and a couple others switched to Thurs the 20th.

Yay!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Jennilyn Helms
  • User
    5 years ago

I ordered a few things yesterday and it'll be out for delivery today. I had to call the courier because I forgot I bought tickets for a movie and don't want them to dropship. Instead I want them to "hide" the parcel. Let's hope they do....

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

spank, have you spoken to Amazon about this? Could it be flood related?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wonder if they are already thinking about Christmas shipping. Usually the tracking will say that a package will arrive by 8pm. Had one saying arriving by 11pm. I would rather get them the next day instead of the mailman showing up at bedtime.