SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesla30

Help me understand drywall return in relation to paint and jamb!!

jamesla30
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi guys, hoping someone can help so I don't screw this up. We are getting ready to place a huge window order for a new home. We have decided on Marvin and Ultimate Casements. We are trying to achieve the look below using drywall return.... basically the sash and possibly 'hardware' covers will be painted black, but the jamb and drywall return will be wall color (white).

My confusion is that we have the option of doing the Marvin Contemporary Casements instead of Ultimate Casements. One of the benefits is that the jambs are nearly 2.5" shorter than Ultimates (2 3/16 vs 4 9/16).

My window dealer seems to recommend the ultimates because they are basically the same price and "you are getting more wood". I assume he means a heavier/sturdier window. We also prefer the recessed exterior of the Ultimates instead of the Flush to frame sash. Other than those details they appear to be the same window.

My worry is that the larger jambs are going to screw up the look we are going for. However I am assuming we will be painting the jambs the same color as the drywall return, therefore does the size of the jamb matter? Its just going to be a piece of white wood next to white drywall right? Does it matter if it is more drywall than wood, or vise-versa? Or does the drywall return cover the jambs?

Sorry if I sound stupid I just want to make sure we get this right.

Lastly, is it going to cost us way more to paint after the windows are installed or should we inquire with Marvin about painting everything but the jambs black for us? Dealer recommends painting after installation as usually factory paint gets dinged up during install. I tend to agree but also could see it being cheaper and better at factory (as I assume they paint before the windows are assembled... i.e they don't have shitty paint tape lines.

Please help, this is the last decision we need to make. I really appreciate it.

3 EXAMPLES (And what we are trying to avoid last picture):

NOT THIS LAST ONE!

Comments (4)