SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Can realtors manipulate walkscore info?

Lately, I've noticed an interesting trend when I look up the walkscore of a house I'm interested in. For example, today I saw a new listing that looked interesting, and walkability is one of my top priorities. So I went over to walkscore, typed in the address, and saw that there were two rather disreputable groceries right around the corner and then Publix was third on the list at .9 miles away.

But then I was looking at the listing on Estately or Zip, and i saw it had a higher walkscore there. So I clicked the walkscore link and not only was Publix now .8 miles away, it was the first store that showed up under groceries. The other two were nowhere to be seen.

The minor difference in distance is nothing, but I was wondering where those closer stores disappeared to. Can realtors adjust which results appear in the walkscore data on a click-through? I can see why one might want to do that---if Bubba's Adult Theater is the first thing that comes up under entertainment, perhaps a young family would do some rethinking, for instance--but is that possible, or is walkscore just suddenly prone to strange lapses?

Just curious.

Comments (10)