SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hyacin

PNW - Thoughts on Velvet Bentgrass

hyacin
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I know, I know....Hear me out.

Currently I run ~3,200 sq ft of lawn with a blend of Barenbrug Turf Star RPR rye, Garnet CRF , and Windward Chewings fescue...at least this is what I have overseeded with every year for the past 4 years (windward is relatively new to the mix). During this time I have learned many things about my soil and its limitations ( and strengths). I live just outside of Seattle.

1. My lawn is already incredibly high maintenance so bentgrass doesn't scare me so much anymore. This is not due to the seed, it is due to the moles and soil type. I happen to be looking for a more aggressive grass to help with healing. Currently, if a mole makes holes, they aren't fixed without a reseeding program....I generally reseed 2X a year. I own pre-emergents, but they are rarely an option. I use them most late Oct - March if able. With a more aggressive grass, I can use them more often.

2. Not looking for greens height, but short enough to keep from false crowns. I'm not opposed to buying a cal trimmer (heck, I want one)...I already have a push reel in the arsenal that I like using.

3. Mostly full sun now that some concerning trees have been removed.

4. I have always wanted a uniform stand. It has always been a desire of mine. I am willing, in some less than full sun areas, to seed in conjunction with the Windward chewings fescue, and Garnet CRF. Those two would blend better with the finer velvet.

5. This has been a really important factor...my soil. I have found out that I have EXTREMELY sandy soil. I water deep, but I do not water so deep that I am just wasting water. I did two years of deep and infrequent, but that just does not work for a lush stand. I have read time and time again that bentgrass loves sandy, well drained soil. PH looking good right now, but with the soil, it has a tendency to become acidic...20 lbs/ 1,000 sq ft of lime is an every fall program now. This soil leeches.

6. Amending the sandy soil would be back breaking labor....~2,200 of the lawn is on the top tier and the only access stairs. Removing and replacing the soil is a big undertaking I would wish to avoid.

7. Lawn is low traffic anyway

8. Can tell the previous owner used colonial bentgrass.

9. Most interested in Villa and SR7200 (Avalon) velvet bentgrass varieties

10. My understanding is that velvet crowds out Poa Annua well. After a couple years, I can say that I am currently PA free. When mowing, I typically may find a single plant every other mowing.

11. I have an irrigation system and the consistency has been ironed out.

12. I strongly suspect I have had 4 invasions of Velvet already. Lighter color, but fine turf, extremely dense, and spreads. Those invasions left me with holes that I reconditioned, but I can't help but think back about how dense that section of turf was.

13. I trap on average 15 moles a year. I am backed up to a wooded area. I have gotten pretty good at catching them early.

14. If I tackled this project, it would be a year from now so I could get everything sorted.

Anybody used velvet or any bentgrass in their lawn? Anybody want to talk me out of this crazy idea? I am fascinated by the characteristics of VB.

Thanks for reading all!

Comment (1)