SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfaustclancy

Soaking grass seed overnight! Am I nuts?

dfaustclancy
11 years ago

Yes, I am soaking 20 lbs of grass seed overnight in a giant

brand new plastic garbage can in warm water. As for the "Am I nuts" question, please don't answer that! I met an old Vietnamese guy who had the most beautiful lucious green like-velvet lawn I have EVER seen. When I asked him how he did it, he told me! He mixed seed with soil and water in a giant container and left it in there for three days. Then, on his hands and knees he applied this dirt/grass seed mixture to the ground BY HAND. I am not doing that! (Close to it, though!) However, it made sense to me that soaking the seed would shorten the germination time and probably ensure you use less water irrigating while it grows. I only have an area about the size of a 9 x 12 rug to do. I have purchased new top soil and spread it where I plan to put the new grass seed. I will let the seeds soak 32 hours, mixing it around from time to time with a broom handle. (Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble..)

Then, with a kitchen colander, I'll pull the soaked seeds out and plant. I'm imagining that the seed will swell, just like other flower seeds I soak overnight to speed germination. So, anybody EVER do this crazy stunt? Or anybody wanna give me tips on anything? I'll let you know how it goes!

Comments (25)