SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atee62

Sugar Maple - close to house and girdling

Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would like some opinions. I have a huge 40 year old sugar maple tree about 16 feet away from my house and it has a few issues. First, the previous owner chopped the canopy on the side facing the house because it was hanging over the roof and posing a danger. It looks lopsided and the tree guy says it will never recover and will always be hap-haphazardly shaped. It is extremely tall and if a storm took it down, it would cause serious damage to our home. The second issue is that the roots are girdling. We have tried a few remedies, but it is slowly strangling itself to death. Tree guy thinks it might have about 10 years.

I was planning on living with the tree as it is but we decided to re-landscape the backyard. We are putting in a composite deck along with a paver patio that will have a raised retaining wall.

But I am feeling guilty as the tree has some life left and the chances of uprooting during a storm are not too bad at this point. It provides good shade (almost too much because we can't get grass to grow). But some of the landscaping/hardscaping we plan on doing could be affected when the tree comes down eventually. I have put about $600 in trying to keep it trimmed and help alleviate some of the girdling. I have received two quotes ($1200 and $1800) to remove it.

Keep or remove?

Comments (21)