SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart_gw

Replacing An Old, Stately Sugar Maple

I am so depressed. Our 60 foot tall, old sugar maple has to go. The house was built around 1870 and I'm sure that tree must be close to that old. It still has a heavy iron chain with a hook in it for hitching up horses.

After 100+ years, and being hit by lightening at least once, it has attracted woodpeckers and carpenter ants. Two arborists have said that it is a hazard and cannot be saved.

When I was a child I waited for the school bus under that tree. My children waited for the school bus under this tree. Being in a southern exposure it protected the house from summer sun. It provided breathtaking color in the autumn. What a pleasure it always was to look out the upstairs window in autumn and be hit by a blaze of yellow, orange, and red leaves. It had, and still has, a beautiful form.

The house will look lonely and naked without it. Oh, there are other trees -- mature evergreens -- around the house, but this tree is special.

I'm not normally such a sentimental person. It's amusing to realize how attached we can become our trees. We often just take them for granted, except in the autumn when they remind you that they are there. They have personal histories with us, as well as their own lengthy histories.

But on to the practical: we will enjoy its color one last time in the autumn. The tree service said that, if we wait until late autumn to have them remove it, they will reduce the cost of removal, as their business is slow at that time of the year.

So, we need to think of a replacement. Of course, the immediate impulse is to replace it with another sugar maple. It could take some doing to talk me out of that notion, but I could be persuaded by a convincing argument. Does anyone want to make other suggestions?

If it's reasonably affordable, we'll get a somewhat mature tree (depending on cost 'cos I'm not paying tens of thousands of dollars), so that we don't have to start off with something that's only 3 or 4 feet tall. I'd like a tree to be able to reach some level of maturity before I die. Hopefully something that would be equally as serviceable as the sugar maple. :-)

You folks have said that sugar maples are slow growing, and they certainly are common in this neck of the woods.

I'll scan through this forum more closely, but please feel free to make a suggestion. The only qualifications are that the tree be deciduous and have glorious autumn color.

Thank you!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!