SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charmed_gw

Should I have my Norway Maple removed?

charmed
18 years ago

When we bought our first house 3 yrs ago, one of the things I most disliked about it was the backyard tree. I hate to call a tree ugly, but it really is, and the dense shade is unwelcome since my next door neighbor's huge Holly and numerous Pines and Yews already shade our yard quite a bit. I want some sunlight and air circulation! For a time, I considered removal out of the question - it just seemed very wrong to even think about removing a tree. However, I'm pretty sure the tree in question is a Norway Maple, which is non-native and considered invasive in my state. Last summer, I'd almost decided on turning it into a snag, and growing some sort of native vine on it, but now I really think I just want it gone. I've even got a baby Serviceberry (A.laevis) to plant instead, although in a more suitable spot (the current tree is too close to the house and cuts off my view of the children playing. My problem is that friends and relatives are expressing a lot of shock and disapproval and it's making me question whether it's the 'right thing to do.' Isn't it actually a good idea to remove non-native invasives? I admit it doesn't seem particularly invasive, but what if birds are spreading the seeds? I have a small, urban backyard, and I'd really like to make it as ecologically friendly (and attractive to birds!) as possible. What do you think -- would it be a good or bad thing to get rid of the Norway Maple? Thanks

Comments (60)

Sponsored
    Hebert Design Build
    Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
    Rhode Island Design Build Firm | Best of Houzz 2015-2023