SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakejones_gw

Norway Maple vs. Sugar Maple

jakejones
16 years ago

In another post, someone asked about a maple. Some thought it was a sugar maple, but it probably was a Norway maple. It got me thinking and observing. I have noticed a lot of yellow foliage on sugar maples this year. The newer sugar maples (Autumn Blaze, Glory, etc.) are really almost all red.

But there are a lot of sugar maples that are yellow. They look a lot like Norway maples. Norway leaves are a bit larger and alomst all yellow with some green. Sugar maples that are yellow have a bit of red on some leaves. Also the bark of Sugar maples is rougher, with edges you can chip off. Norway bark is rough, but not as rough.

People don't like Norway maples. They are very common, grow fast. It's hard to grow grass under them and they produce a lot of seedlings. Their fall color is yellow, which isn't great always, but this year looks good.

If you're going to plant a maple, the newer varieties have red foliage and there are better trees for yellow (Gingko).

Silver maple (not sugar maples) is a taller tree with more serated leaves. It can get very big in only 80 years. I think this maligned tree actually has a lot of character --tall, nice bark, fine leaves, which yellow in fall. It sheds branches, so I like looking at it in someone else's yard!

I like the newer sugar maples, with their red color with leaves that hold on for a long time. I once had the older sugar maples with just yellow leaves. They had top die-back, maybe from circling roots. I have to admit that these yellow sugar maples were not great. I had four in a square in my front yard.

Thought on these three maples?

Comments (35)