SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jm30_gw

Red Maple girdled...Canker?

jm30
14 years ago

I'm hoping to start a discussion regarding the decline of this tree and hopefully get some specifics regarding what happened and what caused it. The tree is in the process of dying, and plans are already being made to remove it in the fall and replace with another tree. It is a Red Maple (I'm guessing Autumn Blaze maple, based on the shape of the leaves), and it is growing at my parents house in zone 5, central Indiana. It was planted in 2000, just 6 or 7' tall, and as you can see in the pics it has grown quite rapidly. It has been well cared for...proper mulching, supplemental water due to being in the flower bed, no chemicals being used nearby, and some winter protection on the south and west side from the house and deck. The last couple years it has had 2 or 3 places of what I thought was winter sunscald. However, new tissue always formed and grew back over. But this spring, it came out of dormancy with places all around the trunk. And the bark continually loosened and cracked, almost like the damaged places were growing. New tissue began growing in some places, but quickly died back. Now, as you can see, it is completely girdled and the leaves are turning fall red. Some of the new bark tissue that began growing has turned black and is kind of "crumbly" and dry. My research is leading me to believe it is a very agressive type of diffuse canker, that got started in an opening caused by winter injury. But in my experience, I've only seen minor, annual cankers on limbs, I've never seen anything this bad. We began removing the dead bark this spring, leaving the bark that was still attached by living tissue. But the bark just kept dying. In one of the pics there is 1 thin strip of bark left, and it has since died and detached from the wood. I would appreciate any discussion so we can learn from this and be more aware of what to look for in the future.

Also, after the tree is removed, they are planning on planting another tree nearby. If it is a type of canker, should they move away from that spot or will a new tree be safe in the same location?

{{gwi:403155}}From garden forums

{{gwi:403156}}From garden forums

{{gwi:403157}}From garden forums

{{gwi:403158}}From garden forums

{{gwi:403159}}From garden forums

{{gwi:403161}}From garden forums

{{gwi:403162}}From garden forums

{{gwi:403163}}From garden forums

Comments (10)