SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Is anyone else too short to reach upper cabinets in laundry room?

I am working on the laundry space in our cabin in the mountains. We plan to move there full time in the very near future. I am going from a large mud room to this much smaller space so I will need to maximize every inch of storage. My plan is to switch to front loading units in order to put a countertop over them and gain some space hopefully for folding for my husband to use. (I like to fold laundry on my bed, but he requested some space in the laundry room).

So in looking at decent sized front load units I see most of the run at least 32” deep which means I will probably have around 36” deep counter there. At 5’4” I’m thinking I may have trouble reaching over the w/d to access the upper cabinets. I will have a step stool nearby but don’t want to constantly be setting it up to get to things. I was thinking of building out the space behind the uppers to bring them closer. Plus I could lower them a bit as I don’t need the standard 18“ clearance below as it’s not a kitchen. Has anyone else run across this issue and what was your solution?

This is a pic of the actual space. The window with shutters on the right was fake and is gone.

Here is my layout so far, the laundry is the back part of the guest powder room so I’m also trying to make it attractive. The laundry portion is 68” on the w/d wall by 78” on the window wall.

Comments (14)