SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

laundry room freakout! can anyone help?

maggiepie11
16 years ago

we're DAYS from an occupancy certificate. Only a cosmetic punchlist left and a few final plumbing fixtures, one of which is the utility sink in our second floor laundry room which will be dropped into a laminate counter top which sits on a sink base cabinet. We just went to install the counter top tonight so the plumber can install the final sink/faucet in there tomorrow (final plumbing day) and we ran into a world of hurt. 3 major problems.

1) the electrical box for the dryer plug is 6+ inches HIGHER than the top of the dryer and the plug doesn't reach. that box just got installed today. it's a fisher paykel dryer--could it be that it's an abnormally short cord? does anyone else have dryer plugs more than half way up the wall?

2) we went with a pan/wall drain for accidents with the washer and it appears they did no measuring and just randomly picked a spot on the wall for that drain. the plumber today took the pan and drilled a hole in the side and put this flimsy plastic piece with no sealant or anything--cracked the top of the pan and there's nothing that fits that tube sticking out of the wall on the washer, but the REAL problem is--he drilled the hole dead center in the pan and if you put the washer in the pan, it doesn't leave room for the dryer when you consider the dryer vent. you'd have to smash the dryer up against the wall to fit the washer in and then you can't vent the dryer.

3) we can't find a discharge drain for the washer and are assuming he might be using the same drain as the utility sink, except it would have been nice to know that because he's going to have to drill through the side of our cabinet if that's what they intend to do.

4) assuming all that works out and we slide everything down to accomodate the dryer vent and re-arrange the pan, then the plumbing for the utility sink will no longer fit inside the cabinet.

ok, so that's 4 major problems--i lied.

is this really as big a disaster as it seems right now? anyone with advice? i just called and left my builder a message and am DREADING the tantrum i'm about to throw on him for just being a dope in general.

someone please calm me down.

Comments (5)