SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_conor

Get conditioned air upstairs in all seasons?

Jeffrey Conor
5 years ago

I live in a small 2 story townhome (~16 feet wide by 32 feet long) with electric baseboard heating in all rooms and a mini split heater/ac unit in the downstairs. I want the upstairs bedrooms to be cooled and heated by the mini split as well. At present little to no cool air gets up their and the basebaord heaters still kick in upstairs in the winter.

The downstairs is open plan and the upstairs has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The staircase is on the long side of the home and is open.

So far I've considered installing a floor to floor transfer fan in the downstairs ceiling that would push air from downstairs into the master bedroom (and if it works, perhaps another for the 2nd bedroom) ($$$), putting a fan in the upstairs hallway and hoping the fan and open bedroom doors would get the air in the bedrooms enough ($$), or putting a hot tube (tube-works.com) in the staircase hallway and again hoping the open bedroom doors would get the air as well ($). Are there better ideas? Would one of these work better than others?

I wish I knew more about hvac and how to get the conditioned air from downstairs into the upstairs bedrooms, as that's my primary goal here. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (4)