SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Please be able to handle your dog

lucillle
5 years ago

I have the greatest respect for people who choose to take on reactive, fearful, or behavior impaired dogs. And I know that part of the training involves being out in the world with other people.

I live in an apartment and they do not collect trash Friday or Saturday. I had some empty boxes I needed to get rid of which involved two short trips to the apartment dumpster. Both times, on the way, I met this young person, she looked to be around 18, with a large black dog. The dog did not like me at all, maybe it was the boxes, I don't know. It was growling, with hackles up, and the owner was pulling back on the leash with all her strength yelling 'no', and the second time the dog got within two feet of me.

Another foot and the pepper spray would have been retrieved out of my mini bag, fortunately that did not happen.

I just feel that if someone takes on a large dog, they should have the strength to handle it, or if the dog is being trained that perhaps a more secluded area may be good to start with. Maybe teach the dog to sit on command, it can't lunge at old ladies while sitting on its rear.

Comments (70)

• socks
    5 years ago

Lucille, if she hadn’t been able to hold the dog, it could have bitten you. Things can happen so fast you cannot react quickly enough to get pepper spray out I know you didn’t have it.) Please report this to the owner or manager. You would not be over-reacting. If the dog lives there, it could be a real problem. It could even bite a child.

• arkansas girl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

eld6161 our dog is reactive also. It's a handful but I wouldn't trade her for anything. I just make sure to stay clear of others. She's a weird dog though and you never know what she is fine with or what she isn't. We have been going to the dog park now for 5 years almost daily so you'd think she would be OK and well socialized...right? Wrong! She knows if someone comes in the park without a dog...they are a big fat NO NO in her eyes. I will have to leave but then sometimes she's OK usually if it's a woman she's OK. She goes nuts when she sees the mail carrier...just totally crazy. There is really nothing that can be done...she acts like she is scared to death when she sees them. She was a chained dog that was rescued from someone's back yard...starved and covered in mange. There is no telling what abuse she was subjected to. Some people she likes just fine and others she will not warm up to and will just bark and bark. She absolutely hates my brother in law...I think it's his big beard...she seems to be afraid of men with big beards. She's very much afraid of teen boys too. I'm sure this goes back to being chained up and abused by people. But anyway, I take my job as owner of a reactive dog very seriously and watch her like a hawk.

The dog at the apartment was probably afraid of the boxes...maybe the girl didn't realize the dog would react like that. She should have walked her away from you when she saw you again though.

• Related Discussions

Do you take your dog to a dog park to play?

Q

Comments (18)
    To a dog park--no. The reasons listed in this post are all valid, and all boil down to one, really--irresponsible owners. But that's not the only reason I would avoid our local dog park. There's a bit of a unique side issue with the local one. Now, that being said, when DD used to raise Seeing eye puppies, we regularly had get-togethers with the other dogs--at our monthly meetings, at parties, fairs, parades, camping. Once a summer, we'd rent a fenced park (with a lake) for a picnic and we'd let the dogs run free and enjoy themselves. The big difference, though, was that these dogs were all up on all their shots, they were all well-socialized and knew each other and the humans, and we had 2 very well-educated leaders of the club who were able to handle any problems that arose. It was a lot of fun--for the puppies and their raisers.
    ...See More

What is your favorite dog shampoo?

Q

Comments (44)
    I use Mane & Tail shampoo & conditioner on my dogs. It's got a pleasent smell, but not too perfume-y. It also leaves them feeling sooooo soft! I'm another who only bathes my dogs maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I have a long haired St. Bernard & a beagle/cocker spanial mix. Neither of them get stinky unless they roll in something, which doesn't happen often since they have a fenced-in backyard to play in while outside. I used to bathe my SB frequently b/c of his long hair, but found that it irritated his skin. Now, I brush when needed & of course towel dry when he's been in the rain. I clean my dog's ears frequently b/c they can get stinky if left alone, but bathing is limited to summer time (May or June to Sept. or Oct.) and only a few times at that. I also shave my SB during the summer b/c of his intolerance to heat, so this helps renew his coat & keeps him smelling good! :)
    ...See More

What protection when you walk your dog?

Q

Comments (72)
    Why are you against a hiking pole? Is there a reason we need to hear? I didn't mention about guns, tasers.......Lol. I got the hiking pole idea from my hiking club, it saved a few people from dog attacks over the years on the trails. My pole is light weight and easy to carry. I know the old saying "everything happens for a good reason", but 3 dog attacks?! There is no good reason for that! I called cops on 1 dog because the owner was being a jerk. 2 of the dogs are near my house, 1 of them just a few houses away. The lab attack was in a park and the owner was right there, we both jumped in to pull her dog and my puppy away from each other, I gave her credit for doing that, and she was very sorry about it. I don't go to that park with my dogs any more, because there are always some dogs there without leashes even we have a leash rule in town. And once in a while I still walk by the 2 houses, but not all the time. I just feel safer walking dogs at night with a hiking pole. I am sure I am not your size, I need my pole for just in case there is another dog attack. I tried to carry a big long flashlight before, but it was too heavy for me. I mentioned again about the pole because someone mentioned about spray. On a windy day the pray won't work, and it might hurt yourself. You don't have to agree with me or other people's ideas. We are here to share what we do after the dog attacks, because we care. I don't see you go against guns and tasers...,,why didn't you??? :-) I am in the US by the way, it's ok to carry a hiking pole walking on the street off the trails, I have seen other people walking with hiking poles on the sidewalks, on the bike path in my neighborhood (without dogs), you can check with your local police stations. It's ok to do so in my area. Have a good day and stay away from the heat. Another heat waive is coming, I will have to walk my dogs late at night when it's cool. Are you an admin for this pet forum? We have a much more friendly admin on our rose forum. It's a big family over there. Please visit there, we are there not only for having the same passion, growing roses together, we are there to make friends and to share the ideas and peace. May peace be with you even you 're against my Incredible hiking pole. Lol. Cheers
    ...See More

3dogs--posted a photo of the grape handle vanity

Q

Comments (13)
    I don't think it's pine. I only saw it inside in the garage, and it seemed darker to me. I was thinking walnut, but then, what do I know? It seemed in good condition, certainly better than the oak secretary, and the marble was also looking great, too. cyn, I already looked at it, and though it's great, I really don't need another dresser/vanity. Let us know if you go and look at it. My feeling was that the seller is eager to get rid of it before his move. Still, I'd check it out soon. This post was edited by nosoccermom on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 23:02
    ...See More
  • jewels_ks
    5 years ago

I've walked by our neighbors fence many times on my walk and their dog barks sometimes and other times he just sits and watches me. Yesterday I noticed a note by their gate that said: Caution: Please keep away from this section of the fence. Our dog is not longer able to be trusted with the safety of others. This includes; pets, children, and yourselves. We are trying to figure out the next step at this time. Thank you God Bless." I do not know if something happened, but is sure appears so.

• User
    5 years ago

Reactive dogs need homes too, I just wish their families would handle the responsibility like Eld does. Our lab is super friendly, loves people, loves the attention even more, but the folks walking by don’t know that. If we’re on the path and there are people coming towards us, I will move her to the side of the walk and put her in sit and wait command until they pass.

When people are nervous, a dog will pick up on that and react to it. Controlling the environment so no one is nervous makes it a win win for everyone involved, including the dog.

I hate those retracting leashes too...not a smart idea at all.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Arkansas, sounds like we have many similarities with our dogs. I envy that you "wouldn't trade her for anything." There are days that I am still stunned that we have this dog. And, this is going on since 2012.

Here is how I describe my dog: We love him, but we don't like him. We have him but we don't want him.

Lukki, yes to what dogs know and sense. Mine picks up fear right away.

Jewels, I can understand that. We have safety precautions and are always diligent.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 years ago

My husband and I currently own 10 dogs. 5 German Shepherds, 1 Australian Cattle Dog and 4 Lancashire Heelers. Each one has been raised and trained way beyond what most people can comprehend. Having said that, I always assume that they can surprise me and act accordingly. I never leave it to chance. Especially in this litigious society.

When we have new training clients with dogs that have significant fear/aggression issues I tell them there is no fix, there is just training that morphs into management. Just like there is no fix for dyslexia, there are coping skills that you can incorporate into your life, but there is no cure.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Since when did they start calling mean aggressive dogs "reactive"? Nothing like trying to sugar coat a mean dog. I am not talking about the untrained dog who jumps, etc but the dog that demonstrates aggressive behavior. Domestic dogs came from wild dogs. Tribes would allow the more docile dogs to hang around camp. With docile breeding with other docile dogs came our domestic dog. But the wild dog gene sometimes does surface and people just keep on breading those aggressive dogs producing more aggressive dogs. Now people make up excuses for the aggressive dog. When I was young an aggressive dog was put down so as not to breed or hurt anyone. How many adult and children have to be killed or maimed before someone does something about the so call "reactive dog"

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me the people that will walk up to a dog they don't know and thrust out their hand to pet it. Most of the time, I guess it is okay....but I don't think it is a good idea to pet a dog you don't know. In fact, my father stressed that to me when I was growing up. Never pet someone else's dog. I think he felt that way because he was bitten by a rabid dog when he was young and had to take the shots. So, that is something I have always abided by. Now, if it is a friend and I know their dog, and vice versa, that is different, but I would never reach to pet a dog that I don't know. I may even compliment someone on their dog, like if I see them with it in Petsmart or some place like that, but I never try to pet it. Sort of if I see a cute baby when I am out shopping....I may say to the mother, "What a cute baby" but I would never try to touch it. (Not that I am afraid the baby will bite....I wouldn't want strangers touching my baby either.) Anyway, my friend who has all the big unruly dogs...likes to take them everywhere she goes. We went to the flea market....it was in the winter and not hot, so she left them in the truck. We only stayed a short while. As we were leaving and waiting to get in line with the traffic...a lady walked up, and all five of the dogs started barking at her. She says to my friend, who was driving, "Oh, I love dogs. May I pet them?" Heck no....are you nuts?!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

I am one that uses a retractable leash. I am tall and my dog is very small (9 lbs.) so a "normal" leash would have her under my feet while we walk. Because we generally only go down our street and it's usually during the day when most people are away, she doesn't bother anyone. She has lots of friends in the neighborhood. More people than dogs. She is rather standoffish so doesn't jump up on anyone. If I am taking her out of our normal routine I put her harness and a regular leash on her. I don't think you can make generalizations regarding dogs. All are different and every encounter can be different. When I see other people coming and know their dog is rambunctious, we just go down the nearest driveway a little ways and let the dog pass. My dog is not interested in meeting anybody else's dog. She was stepped on by a big dog and now avoids them at all cost. I don't force her to meet any dogs or people. She has her favorites and that is good enough for me. I always keep her safety as my priority.

• Ally De
    5 years ago

Retractable leashes are a tool. Just like any tool they have varying degrees of utility depending on the circumstances and user skill. :)

I use them too in my own yard. I like to let them have more freedom to explore and I have a huge yard. I've never even come close to being hurt by them.

Where they get dangerous is out in public with clueless people. Which frankly can apply to a lot more than retractable leashes.

• User
    5 years ago

I agree completely with OP. I have only rescued smaller dogs, doxies, and terriers, Not Terrors. The reason I do not adopt or rescue a larger dog is because of the experience we had when we adopted a rather seemingly laid back larger dog. We had another rescue at home that had gone through obedience school. When we brough Lucky our new rescue home he tore into our other dog Josh, and we could NOT get those two apart. The new rescue bit my ex's husbands arms and hands to the point that he needed and had 23 stitches and lots of antibiotics. Lucky the new rescue killed my old dog. I was devastated. Terrible for all of us. We were very foolish thinking the new dog was laid back and sweet when we adopted him. AND we should have never let them meet each other in the beginning.

Now we only adopt smaller dogs. Ones I can handle. I have found that smaller dogs that need to be rescued are often people shy and very, very timid. They need working with to get them to the point that they trust you BUT, they make the most loyal, loving friend and companion in the world!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE all my babies. I think one should also take in consideration that if you cannot afford MEDICAL CARE DO NOT ADOPT. PERIOD. I have seen that when I go to get my furbabies checkup or shots. I hate that with a passion and cannot hardly contain my disdain for the person who has a poor animal who has been neglected sitting there all like he or she is doing something special for the animal when their dog obviously has been neglected and bringing it into the vet was the last resort. UGH.

• sonni1
    5 years ago

I agree that people should control their dogs and that dogs should not be allowed to jump on people or even slobber all over them. I have a rescue dog that has been difficult to train. She is excitable and pulls on her leash. Can't take her anywhwere! But then at the vet's office or on a walk, people seem to be offended if you don't let your dog loose so they can interact with it.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

I'm another person that does not try to pet every dog that comes along. I try to read the dog's body language but always ask the owner first. It's surprising the number of friendly looking dogs that the owner will say they can't be sure about them. I appreciate that honesty. I prefer to stand and talk with the owner and let the dogs relax and not feel threatened in any way. You will always have good dog owners and people that really shouldn't even have a dog. It's hard to see animals neglected and/or mistreated. I'm not sure what the answer is to that.

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Sometimes it's the owners with no manners. When their dog is jumping on you or pulling on your arm or clothing, they ignore the behavior. When you try to get the dog off of you they say he is harmless, just playing. They turn a blind eye to when the dog persists. I never l allowed this back when I had dogs. It is obnoxious behavior.

I also do not appreciate other people walking their dogs and using my yard or flower gardens as a rest room. Colossally rude.

• chisue
    5 years ago

Elmer -- Do I need to cite the ways the public is coached to place value on pets -- and why? Follow the money. It's *yuge*! lol

I only started thinking about this after our then-vet was on the cover of MONEY magazine. Pets are a gold mine, and not just for vets.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

No, but I disagree with you. I think people get pets because they want to have pets, often as adults because of experiences they had in their childhood homes. Or experiences they wanted to have but didn't. Not because of cultural pressures or the influence of advertising/marketing, if that's what you're insinuating.

As far as becoming a veterinarian being a guarantee of riches, you're wrong. The average vet makes substantially less than human physicians even at the lower tiers of doctor earnings, docs practicing in a primary care role with pediatrics or internal medicine specialties. Older vets who own practices and employ younger vets as "associates" (typically at rather low salaries) do better than the average but they're a small minority of the total.

• aok27502
    5 years ago

My friend and I are at our local park several days every week. I am most annoyed by the people with small dogs on retractable leashes. They let the dog out 20', so the leash is stretched across the path. Then when you ask them to retrieve the dog, they shrug like "what am I supposed to do?" You weigh 200 lbs. The dog weighs 10 lbs. PULL! You can control the dog if you want.

The people with larger dogs seems to take great care to restrain them. We see very few misbehaving large dogs.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I agree, aok. I've never seen a dog, of any size, walking at heel on a retractable leash. Has anyone else? To me, it's another sign of a not completely trained dog.

If it's "sniffing time", use a slightly longer leash (the slack of which you can hold in your hand) and follow behind them. You need to do that anyway, in case the dog poops.

• lily316
    5 years ago

In our dog park, dogs aren't allowed on leashes inside the fenced area. I used to take my two dogs there every weekend but I don't anymore because they are both ten years old and one of mine would drop dead playing frisbee or retrieving balls. >>Google retractable leashes if you want to see gruesome pictures. I read a few peoples pets being killed because they weren't paying attention and the dogs went into the street and got hit by cars. I'm deathly afraid of them. I've gotten marks on my legs from the soft leashes I use.

• User
    5 years ago

Thank Goodness we live bordering National Forrest Land and have 40,000 acres surrounding us on three sides. I could not deal with dog parks, irresponsible owners. I had rather deal with bears, and other wildlife. Of course I take a pistol with me unless a bear attack. I have never seen anyone on the trails I use when I was a child or even now that I moved back in with my mom and dad. I have seen bears though. I rather deal with them.
    And my furchildren.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

National Forest or not, No Thanks to bears and pistols for me. Sounds like a dangerous place for your kids and pets. Be careful.

• User
    5 years ago

No kids thank God! I like nieces and nephews. You can send those little rug rats home. LOL Pets are what I have. Do not want children of my own. I always am Elmer, of snakes spiders, panthers. Yep, we got those too. I guess I am kinda use to it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Haha, not something I would or could get used to at all.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Ingrid sounds like a wonderful place to live. Some people don't understand that wild animals would rather avoid human contact and most especially don't like dogs, They only become aggressive if they are sick or you become a threat to them or their off spring.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

And some, like me, don't want to encounter animals of any kind at all.

The next time my poor dog gets skunked in my backyard, I'll call you to clean her up. You can also empty and replace the rodent traps I have around my house, in my yard and in my garage, that'll save me having to pay a service to do it. Some of the rats are a foot long and longer (not counting the tail), really disgusting.

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Wow, I never knew anyone with skunks, rodents and one foot rats in their home and garage. That IS truly disgusting. But, one method or another, these critters need to be controlled for our health and happiness.

• chisue
    5 years ago

Elmer -- As for vets making a pittance, that's certainly not true in my *urban/suburban* experience. Here, everyone and his brother (sister more likely) has multiple pets and the vet bills to go with them. There are dog and cat *events*. Gigantic pet stores sell tons of pet-related paraphernalia. People buy specialized food and vitamins for pets. They *dress* their pets. They clean up after them. They replace furniture ruined by pets -- which cannot be blamed for being the animals they are, just trying to live in an environment that is meant for actual human beings, not 'fur babies'. People make a living breeding animals for sale, assuring a constant oversupply of animals to be *sheltered* -- more income from pets. I can't imagine the total amount spent on pets today -- a sea change from my childhood, when some people had pets, but there was no constant yammer about them.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

By "around my home" I meant around the perimeter. Nothing in the house but we're careful to not leave doors open. The good thing is, most of these animals are nocturnal and sighting them is rare, other than the odd skunk that may be seen from time to time ambling down the road. There are bigger things around too, lots of deer. Coyotes and the occasional mountain lion are also around but they're more rare. Coyotes keep their distance but they aren't shy.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"Elmer -- As for vets making a pittance, that's certainly not true in my *urban/suburban* experience."

As I've said before, I have a vet in my family. I think I'm pretty up to date, their friends and former colleagues include vets working in much higher cost urban areas than Chicago. What I explained earlier (older vets that own practices do well, younger associates who outnumber them don't) is current and accurate.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I totally agree, aok, about the retractable leashes. It seems people with smaller dogs love them for some reason. I’m a runner, and sometimes run in the city in neighborhoods and in greenways and public paths (for runners, walkers, bikers) to change up my routine. It never ceases to amaze me that people walking their dogs think it’s ok when their dog is allowed to follow me too close, bark angrily at me, or they let their leash block my path because the are too lazy to pull their dog back. When I’m jogging now, I carry. Bears have been sighted in our area. Oy!

I love dogs and we’ve had a large dog almost all our lives, but always, always have ours under control. Our old chocolate lab now is so old he’s lost his bark, but our UPS and Fedex guys still almost let him in their trucks and give him treats. Mail carrier leaves a milk bone in the box frequently too.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have not seen the dog again. I'm wondering whether it was just visiting for the weekend with(or without) its owners, there are a lot of young people here and they do have friends over. Maybe a friend was just keeping another friend's dog for a day or two.

In any case, whoever the real owner is, I think they owe it to their dog and also to people like me, to take the time to train better. A badly trained dog in an apartment complex with children and other dogs is a recipe for disaster, and I'm sure a miserable dog life.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Never knew that about retractable leases, when or if I get a dog or two I will keep those in mind as something NOT to get!

In my experience, people with most big breeds are really good about training their dogs to behave properly in public. My issue is with many of the owners of labs or golden retrievers -- those dogs want to be everybody's "best friend", and 1) I don't want to be on intimate boundlessly "friendly" terms with any human stranger I've just met; I also don't want to be on intimate boundless "friendly" terms with any animal stranger I just met. 2) You can't tell when you first look at me that I am still undergoing physical therapy for knee balance and strengthening issues, and your "friendly" dog that just wants to LUV everybody and bounces up on me is a serious physical danger to me. It's gotten to the point that I absolutely loathe those breeds of dog, Yes, it's probably not the dog's fault but it's the association I now have.

I'll take a pit bull any day... the owners of those (that I know) are responsible pet owners. My brother had an absolutely wonderful pit-bull/boxer mix.

• secsteve
    5 years ago

Whenever we walk, our dogs are always on a non-retractable leashes.

On more then one occasion people have asked if they could pet them. I appreciate that versus those folks that just walk up and start reaching to pet them. There's something about the Basset and the Beagle that people seem to love. I always make sure they don't jump on anyone. Beulah gets especially carried away thinking everyone loves her.

I had to tell one neighbor NOT to bring her "friendly" little dog over to our dogs. Her husband did that (without asking first - just came up) and the "friendly" little dog nipped at her. We avoid said dog whenever we see her being walked.

I get especially frustrated when I hear someone say "Oh, their just being friendly" or "So and so won't hurt anyone". Nope, not taking any chances as there's always a first time for everything.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

Lucille...I'm glad your alright and nothing more happened. Please keep your spray handy.

When I used to be a hard core runner, I was approached by a cocker spaniel, off the leash twice. The owner standing right there reading the newspaper. She said kids had teased it and made it aggressive. Third time the dog didn't stop(growling viciously) I maced it, next day the "for sale sign" went up...and she moved.

I had a German Shepherd lung at my neck on a tight running trail, It was young & I was able to push it off me, happened twice, then never saw it again.

I had a coworker buy a shar pei, kept it in his garage while he was at work. It ate the sheet rock off the walls and died. He owned it for no other reason than to "look cool". Backing up chisue's opinion of buying pets as jewelry for their house & lifestyle.

• User
    5 years ago

Those incidents are wrong on so many levels Nicole, I would have freaked out! Glad you’re ok!

The problem with all the scenarios in this thread aren’t the dogs, it’s the people who are responsible for them and their lack of consideration for others.

Sadly, for what ever the reason, their breeding, abuse, or just a lack of training, some dogs really don’t belong out on the streets. When they are out though they should be amply restrained. Instead of a collar and leash (which can actually injure you and the dog), use a full body no pull harness so the dog will be easier to manage. If the dog is aggresive or reactive, use a muzzle to ensure no one is hurt. You may say that’s cruel and I hate the idea of a muzzle too but sometimes, that’s the only option and it’s much better than having someone mauled, a dog that’s put down and a court date.

If people would just take a moment to consider what it’s like for that person approaching and react in a responsible manner it would solve a large percentage of these issues.

We have an larger sized outdoor mall in the area that is entirely dog friendly, in the stores and out. It’s a busy place, so I don’t take our dog in the stores. It’s too overwhelming for her and makes her uncomfortable. However, there’s lots of seating outside so one of us waits with her while the other goes in.

People who don’t have dogs go there with the knowledge that dogs will be present which I think is really key. People who aren’t dog fans aren’t caught off guard and have a choice about it.

We had to go to the Apple store this weekend which is right in the middle of this mall. The weather was perfect so lots of people and dogs were there and even a live band. Some were interested in each other’s dogs, some enjoyed sharing their treats and lots of the kids were taking it all in especially the toddlers. I was surprised at how relaxed everyone was especially the people without dogs. Ellie was smiling the whole time and caught the attention of a lot of people. They either just stood back and spoke to us, or they asked if they could pet her. My common answer was sure, but be careful, she’s a big licker. Most said, oh that’s fine, but one lady didn’t want to get licked, which was fine too but making her aware made her chuckle and she thanked me for the warning. That simple consideration made for a great experienced for all of us, and especially our dog.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

chisue

"The pet industry is huge, and it wants to keep growing. People are constantly being told their lives are not complete without a pet."

LOL! As if I would drink that koolaid. :-) I could not tolerate it if I had to live with the restrictions and responsibilities that having a pet would entail, now. Love puppies, most dogs, had cats most of my young adult life. DONE. Very happily petless for the last 9 years.

• lily316
    5 years ago

Yesterday walking one of the dogs in the three-mile nature preserve, three little boys ran up and fell down on the ground beside my 10 year old Dachshund. Their mother finally caught up with them but wasn't overly concerned except she said ...don't touch his lower back. They were lucky because Wally loves little kids and lavished licks and his tail was wagging the whole time. It would not have been pretty if he was a mean dog. Both my dogs have never snapped or acted in an unfriendly manner.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The problem with all the scenarios in this thread aren’t the dogs, it’s the people who are responsible for them and their lack of consideration for others.

I agree. And it isn't as if it can't be done. I have read that in the Seattle Amazon, there can be up to 6,000 dogs keeping their owners company. I would venture to say those owners probably spend time training their dogs, I'm sure there is an expectation of good dog manners. And with your peers and bosses looking at you from their windows while you are outside with your dog on break, I'd bet everyone picks up after their dog.

• Michael
    5 years ago

"The pet industry is huge, and it wants to keep growing. People are constantly being told their lives are not complete without a pet."

Some people are better off with a dog than a human relationship. So, yes, the pet industry, including food suppliers, vets, kennels, dog sitters, groomers etc., are taking advantage of the opportunity.

Nothing more funny than watching a very large man walking his very small dog down my street, stooping (make that kneeling) to pick up poop along the way. I have better hobbies.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have better hobbies.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The size of the dog has nothing to do with the amount of love and companionship owner and dog provide to one another..

I don't really see the ownership of a dog as a hobby, to me it is more like a relationship.

• chisue
    5 years ago

I view this as more evidence of the growing social alienation of human beings. A pet is not a person, and you don't have to BE fully human with one. You can be always 'in control' of the dynamic -- rather, lack thereof.

We've owned dogs. I like dogs. We don't have a pet now, but were either of us to live alone, a dog would be a probability. Psychologists often recommend dog ownership for people who are depressed...if only for the responsibility factor. A dog requires the human to get out of bed (and out of her head) to take care of the animal, from feeding it to exercising it -- which may involve at least some human interaction.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"I view this as more evidence of the growing social alienation of human beings. "

I certainly see it that way. And it's not a good thing, either.

• User
    5 years ago

"I view this as more evidence of the growing social alienation of human beings. "

I’m not sure I understand your statement Chisue, do you mean that people will do what they want or are inclinded to do as opposed to what is necessary or what is better for all involved....as in self absorbed?

• Michael
    5 years ago

Better hobbies. Like spending my day with grandchildren, hiking, creeking, kayaking, etc. I sure don't want my retired life to be spent scooping poop 3 times a day. Or, seniors in need; helping humans who have limited abilities.

Most dogs are marketed by puppy mills. They don't just happen to be orphans needing a human. Dogs are everywhere these days, even where prohibited.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Most dogs aren't from puppy mills.

If you don't like dogs, why not just say so and leave out the exaggerations/fact bending? Or maybe that's how you justify it to yourself?

• woodnative
    5 years ago

I miss having a dog but in my adult life the time is not right. Growing up I had a Shepherd/Collie type mix that was a joy. I would take her to the park, walks around the neighborhood, and delivering newspapers with me. We got her as a small pup and by the time she was a year or so old she was trustworthy walking off leash with me. She would stay right beside me. If a car was coming (Suburban neighborhood) I would say "Up" and she would go up on the curb until the car passed. She had perfect recoil and I knew she would not dart/run if there was a person or dog across the street or a rabbit ran past. She was a little shy with strangers, never aggressive. A great dog.

My parents currently have a mini aussie/ poodle mix. They are older now but the dog gets plenty of attention, vet care etc. He is friendly almost to a fault lol. He is smart and housetrained etc. easily. My parents are not as disciplined now so the dog is a bit spoiled, he will jump on you etc.. A smart mix the dog has trained my parents very well LOL. He is a great dog for them though and keeps them active.

I loved having and working with a dog. As I don't have one it makes me even more upset when people don't take care of their dogs or properly care for/train/socialize them. When we first moved into our home a lady and her son on the street behind us got a German Shepherd pup. I love GSDs and it was neat to see. As it grew though I would often just see it tied out back barking at people. Once when it was a few months old I heard the lady calling for the dog and it was in our backyard (not fenced). There is a busy street nearby and I went out with some food. The pup was wary but I was able to keep it nearby with the food while the lady retrieved it. She was thankful. Fast forward a few months and I was walking my then 2 year old daughter around the block. The lady was walking the GSD on a leash on the other side and about half a block down. The dog was barking/growling and pulling towards us. The woman was barely holding the now large dog the best she could and yelled "YOu better go, I don't know if I can hold him". That was scary. The dog disappeared soon after which I was glad for the safety of my kids but I wonder if things could have been different if that dog was properly socialized/trained/exercised.

There is certainly a genetic component to personality as well as training. Likewise not every type of training works on every personality......you have to know the dog and what it needs. Bad owners can screw up a good dog, but there are also dogs who are naturally fearful/aggressive. Some of these can be good/ok dogs with the right owners, but I don't think every dog just needs "Love" to be a good dog.

• chisue
    5 years ago

The alienation is being documented, especially in studies of young adults.

I see 'pets over people' as another example. People are demanding; they insist on talking to you! "Having a pet is so much 'easier," is not 'the same' as an adult relationship -- or one to be desired. (We've talked about some equally one-sided human partnerships in this forum.)

I noticed a new word yesterday, "telephobia". It describes increasing numbers of people who text *to avoid* speaking to one another. There are excuses, but basically it's avoidance.

Is this insecurity -- an extended adolescence where you're afraid of being judged? I know there's an excessive amount of 'airbrushing' going on in our world -- not limited to visuals. (Facebook is one example, but it's more pervasive -- and easier to 'sell' when people won't communicate directly.)

I'll stop. This is tangential to the thread.

• User
    5 years ago

Thanks for clarifying. :c) It’s a term I hadn’t run across.

• Michael
    5 years ago

Elmer, I like dogs, but I dislike irresponsible dog owners, along with vets and pet stores that push puppies and cats. I consider a dog breeder a "mill". Dog breeders market dogs, and breed them for a living. A breeder in my county sold over 600 dogs last year. She's running a puppy mill. See the article at One Green Planet.

Just today I met three lazy, inconsiderate dog owners at Duranceux Park in Columbus. Three large dogs walking the trails without "direct control". The three lazy, inconsiderate owners ignored the very visible signs. Dog owners need to start obeying the law and speaking out against those who disobey. If not, some dog parks will be closed in this area and dog owners will be protesting.

Animals Under Direct Control

• No owner of any animal shall permit such animal to run large on any property not his own.
    • Owner shall have animal securely leashed or under "Direct Control" at all times.
    • Direct Control means the animal will come, sit and stay on command from the owner.
    • Direct Control is part of Columbus City Code 2327.11, and violation of this code is a 3rd degree misdemeanor.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

We agree - I too think dogs of any size should be under control of a human and not running wild in the vicinity of other dogs or people unless 1) they're docile and not aggressive to people or other dogs, 2) in an area that's allowed, 3) are in sight of a human responsible for their conduct and 4) respond IMMEDIATELY to vocal commands.

There are a lot of responsible breeders around. Also a lot of irresponsible ones, but you can say that about any occupation. You were a painting contractor? Don't ask me to describe how irresponsible and dishonest the past painting contractor I hired was/is. I won't slime all painting contractors after my experience. Nor paint all with the same brush but he was as lying and cheating an individual I ever encountered. .