SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Mango tree gone bananas !

My Glenn mango tree has absolutely gone berserk ! I planted the 5 1/2 ft tall baby in March 2010, after the first tree was killed by a frost that lasted for two days the previous winter. Not being a " savvy mango plantation owner " early on, I neglected to protect the four young trees I recently planted. Knowing a rare ( for us ) nightly freeze was a-comin' in December 2009, I did nothing to protect my babies ! Live and learn, all four of my sweet babies ( Glenn, Kent, Valencia Pride, Nam Doc Mai ) bit the dust that terrible week 8 1/2 yrs ago !

Sooo, starting over, I had sheets and warm, scenic strings of Xmass lights at the ready for any future cold nights,...which were few in number. Lately however, there's been no extra cold spells, ( global warming ?), and my main mango tree, the Glenn, has prospered like no other. That tree is now a robust 25 + feet tall and has just dropped on us a whopping harvest of OVER 300 FRUITS !! I have fought off the squirrels, fruit rats and iguanas, and now find myself, for the first time, up to my eyeballs in the sinfully delicious Glenns ! More than any other tree, it has thrived under it's owner's, ( finally learned ), care. This immense harvest is surprising to say the least, easily 30 % more than a year ago, and surprising in light of the high winds we experienced in Feb and early March, when lots of small fruits were blown off the tree !

A lesson well learned,...but now, despite giving many away to neighbors and friends, I must admit I am drowning in Glenn mangos !!! And worst yet, my other, more recently planted young mango trees ( Tebow, Valencia Pride and Kent ) are following in step with the rapid growth rate of the Glenn ! Yikes, - may have to finally think seriously about going into competition with Chiquita and Del Monte ! A pleasant problem to have I know,... have enough frozen mango slices in the stand-alone freezer to last us for the next 6 months,..but WE STILL HAVE OVER 100 YET TO PROCESS !!!

Anyone out there want some mangos ? :o)

Comments (13)