SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Deciding how to fit tub and shower along 9' wall

AJCN
5 years ago

In this bathroom, there is a tub and a shower which are going to be demoed and rebuilt. My Dad wants to make the shower bigger. Right now here is the tub and shower wall:

With that big fat pony wall gone, he will be able to gain some space for the shower. My question is about the type of tub he should choose.

Alcove tub option: In order to maximize the size of shower, should he install a 60" long 3-wall alcove tub? Right now the plumbing is in that big pony wall. If he doesn't want to move the drain, I'm not sure where the plumbing would go. (If he is okay with moving the drain, the plumbing could go in the wall between the mater bedroom and bathroom opposite of where it is now. If it has to go in another pony wall, can the wall be skinnier?

Drop-in tub option: Or, should he install a 60" drop-in tub, but instead of putting stone decking around the whole thing, only put a piece of stone on the front edge, put cabinet panels or tile on the skirt, and the plumbing could go there, setting the faucet on the stone decking? There's 42" from exterior wall to door frame, so maybe a 36" drop-in with a 6" piece of decking on the front?

Other option? Since the wall is only 9' long, I'm trying to get him almost a 4' space for the shower by only using a 5' tub.

Comments (20)