SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Delosperma that stays open in cloudy weather - unusual?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

There was a time I had so many colonies of Delosperma they were self-seeding somewhat prolifically. Then the first couple Polar Vortex winter killed off most of them, and the most recent PV-III finished off my last of the original plantings.

However there's one that's a seedling...I definitely didn't plant any in this area. Also, it must be somewhat hardy as it was undamaged in PV-III. ( More on that in a moment, though. Some of the seedlings surely died, too, in the 3 PV winters.)

But what's really interesting, is I've noticed a couple days now that is holding open flowers even on completely cloudy days.

So I have 2 thoughts. Either this is an actual genetic change in this seedling...OR...is it possible that at some times of year when the whether is so awful, they just open their flowers in heavy cloud cover out of a kind of desperation? Cause this is approaching being the dreariest late spring/early summer I can remember. I have a Peony 'Edulis Superba' that is covered in white mildew, something I've never seen since I started gardening as a kid.

Asphodeline lutea in the foreground of course.

Anyhow...something I'm finding about xeric plants in a very [summer] humid climate: YOU HAVE GOT TO WASH ALL POTTING SOIL FROM THEM. Cause they need so little water, that even a peat/gravel blend, as often used by wholesalers for such plants ,will hold so much moisture in our climate that they scarcely need to grow beyond it. I just pulled up a huge patch of one that die last winter, perhaps it was 'Firespinner', planted 3 springs ago, probably, and it has hardly grown any roots beyond the original container zone. Same with Cistus 'Ledon'. Died in PV-III but no wonder it did because when it finally got really cold, its roots had hardly grown more than 1 inch beyond the origin band pot from Joy Creek. Thus they couldn't protect it from dessication very well, even though the top was getting pretty big (about 18"x18") This could help explain why the seedling was hardy, even if it was pretty much a seedling right off of a bog-standard D. cooperi that died in one of the Polar Vortexes.

Comments (4)