SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

A very unusual summer

The unusually cool temperatures and cloudy conditions have had an effect on my garden in that quite a few roses, especially the tea roses, haven't been very eager to bloom. Duchesse de Brabant is blooming now, but the blooms are smaller than usual, with fewer petals. My two bushes of Le Vesuve have only had one or two blooms at a time so far, although Rosette Delizy, planted between them, has had a fairly good number of blooms. It's all very strange, and it will be interesting to see what the remainder of the year will bring.

Bishop's Castle is beginning its second flush

Rosette Delizy

Aunt Margy's Rose is also beginning to bloom again

Mlle. de Sombreuil

Evelyn is still a paler color than the apricot tones I thought I could expect.

Comments (40)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison
    These two cedars were planted as tiny one-gallon plants 11 years ago.

Eyes for You

Sweet Frances, new to me this year but a rose I'm growing very fond of.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

The quality of all your roses makes up for quantity, Ingrid. They are just beautiful. I especially like the photos of Bishop's Castle and SdlM. That's a lovely Evelyn bloom, too. As I've mentioned, she's got a fairly large color range. I checked out Sweet Frances on HMF the other day (she has such a lovely form and color), and she was named after someone's mother. Now I've forgotten the hybridizer. Do you remember? I think she's a winner. Diane

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Related Discussions

Summer Wind (before very heavy summer showers)

Q

Comments (2)
    That is a beauty Jane! You need to take off from work early one day..:) Hey...send some of that rain down here...Please! Need it bad. Thanks for sharing this one... Rick
    ...See More

Pruning Tomatoes to get another crop.

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't have an answer for you, but I'll be watching this thread. I was just looking at my largest container grown tomato plant today and wondering if it would survive a pruning. I don't think it will produce another crop until next year, but I may put it in the ground directly, just to see if I can give it a jump start with season extenders next spring. I gather from what I've read here that even though tomatoes may be perennial in certain climates not all are worth trying to keep alive, but experimenting is half the fun. Jan
    ...See More

very unusual fern in my garden...ID?

Q

Comments (5)
    Yeah the photograph doesn't quite capture how strange it is. The leaves are very leathery. You could imagine it's a fern that quickly appears in the SW desert after rains and then disappears. Not sure if there really is such a thing or not.
    ...See More

Unusual Recipes when the Garden is Very Productive

Q

Comments (47)
    Gardengrlz, here's the candy recipe: Zucchini Candy 10 cups peeled diced zucchini 1/2 inch cubes ( I use "worms" about 3 inches long and 1/12 inch thick and wide. The little dice would be good in muffins, though. 3 cups water 2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid 2 1/2 cups sugar Peel zucchini, dice, removing seeds. Mix the liquid syrup together. Add zucchini. Bring to a boil and them simmer for 25 min. Drain. Put on dehydrator trays. Dry 14 hours at 125 degrees. Turn pieces over and dry another 4 hours. This will feel dry and not sticky when done. Store in jars or other tightly sealed containers. If you dip in sugar when you turn them, they will be more like"gum drops" on the outside. And Sol's Zucchini Pancakes: Zucchini Pancakes ================== Sol's recipe 2 cups grated zucchini 3 eggs, lightly beaten 3 tablespoons melted butter (more for greasing the pan) 3/4 cup AP flour 1-1/2 tablespoons water 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese Black Pepper and Salt to taste * 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg Serve with: 6-1/2 ounces double cream brie Roasted tomatoes 2 tablespoons chopped chives Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Combine all pancake ingredients in a bowl, except for the water. Mix until smooth, then add enough water to make a thin batter. Mix until just combined. For 6-inch pancakes, add about 1/3 cup of batter to greased pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side. Serve with double cream brie (or your favorite melting cheese), roasted tomatoes and chives. *Add all the black pepper you like, but use a light hand with the salt, as parmesan provides some saltiness. I normally add 1/8 teaspoon salt, and find it's plenty. I often need more than 1 1/2 tbls of water as I like thinner "pancakes" to use as wraps. Use your discretion and make them as thin as you like. Annie
    ...See More
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Ingrid your roses are beautiful and looks so quite up in the hills. Scenery is breathtaking !
    Your Sweet Frances look like a star and growing beautifully. It looks like she can handle the heat really well. I am glad you got that rose.
    jin

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

Those cedars give such definition to your garden. I wish we had them here. Evelyn has a lovely glow from the inside. I love that in roses. Belle Story has it too.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked gdinieontarioz5
  • User
    4 years ago

Good to see you with new roses again... I like Aunt Margy's rose... and Eyes For You in particular..

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

I have been loving our weather this year! Yes it is unusual and I find myself hoping we will have a few more years like this. After all, we had five years of drought so why not? One can hope anyway. I am from Seattle, but find that I am really drawn to the landscapes of the drier SW. Whenever you show pictures of your garden with scrubs and mountains in the distance, I am in love. We have mountains on both sides of our house but I live in a closely packed neighborhood so not quite the same effect in photos. Here is Monsieur Tillier, not even a year in the ground, starting a second flush. I really adore the tea roses, I think they have a grace and natural beauty that is both untamed and refined. After a few days in a vase MT loses the pink and turns quite coppery. Day 1 and 3 in vase.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Ingrid, when I see pictures of your garden I definitely don’t think “Oh, her blooms are sparse“

I think “Dang. Every picture is better than the last!” Really, really lovely flowers.

Stephanie, as a former Seattlite, do you think Monsieur Tillier would do well here? He is gorgeous but I already have SdlM that I’m a bit worried about liking our weather, I don’t need two to cause me stress!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Sooo beautiful !! I have to get sweet frances again , what a charming rose . As a total Ca newbie , I am feeling kinda spoiled with the cooler weather , and probably foolish bc I want to keep planting and buying . It feels like spring to me !

Your views as always are just stunning. I can’t imagine the peace you must feel overlooking it all .

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Oursteelers, I never grew roses in the PNW, since I left at age 18. But its extremely healthy here with our cool foggy mornings this year. Not the slightest hint of any fungal diseases. I checked HMF and no bloom size info there. Mine are around 2.5-3 inches. The plant seems to want to bloom a lot for being so young. Has a very lovely tea fragrance and blooms hold well when cut.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

I can see why you are fond of Sweet Frances, lovely confections of pastel pink. I love the look of the pink roses with Rosette Delizy.

Your garden is so peaceful in the evening light. Beautiful photos, Ingrid. The cedars are quite statuesque.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    4 years ago

Such beautiful photos Ingrid! That Eyes For You looks like a rockii peony. Sweet Frances looks a bit like Abe. Does it smell like Abe? I can see why you like it. Your Bishops Castle looks happy, making those perfect flowers.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sweet Frances was bred by Mike Shoup of The Antique Rose Emporium, one of his Pioneer roses. The scent is not really sweet, perhaps more in the myrrh range, although I'm not at all good with characterizing fragrance. It's begun to heat up now, and I fear the cool days are a thing of the past, but that long cool spell will make the remainder of the summer seem shorter. Stephanie, Monsieur Tillier did not like the summer heat here when I tried it years ago, but I hope yours will bear up. It certainly is a lovely tea, and your beautiful photos make me long to have it again. our steelers, as a rose that doesn't like the heat, MS might be worth attempting.

Diane, I don't always comment, but eagerly look at every beautiful rose picture you post (and penstemons too since the animals leave them alone here). You're the reason I have Evelyn, and what a lovely reminder she is of you.

Lilyfinch, I know it won't be long before you have a beautiful garden, and the late fall planting season is not that far off. I hope that having roses to cherish in your garden will make the transition to CA a bit easier for you.

Jin, now that it's beginning to heat up we'll have to see how well Sweet Frances (and Evelyn, Plum Perfect, Eyes for You and General Schablikine, all newer roses) hold up in the heat. I've tried to plant them where they have afternoon shade, although that precious commodity is very rare now that almost all of the "good" spots are taken.

Krista, I can see where Sweet Frances would fit in quite well with your garden of beautiful pinkies. She's one of those roses that hovers between the pink and apricot spectrum, but in what I think is a very satisfying way.

Marlorena, I am so enjoying your postings of that gorgeous garden of yours. I love how you always seem to have some interesting new roses to look at.

Dinie, I'd have a difficult time living in any place where cedars didn't grow. This type of landscape says "home" to me, even though it's very far from the place I was born. That doesn't seem to matter; I think we all have a landscape of the heart.

noseometer, my Abraham Darby, which is planted close to Sweet Frances, has not yet bloomed, but from what I remember from when I had Abe years ago he had a somewhat sweeter scent.

4 years ago

My Monsiuer Tiller is from a cuttings. I got my first bloom this week but I only took one pic then got side track. It is not a great pic as I was trying to focus on the bloom. I can't wait to see colours like Stephanie's as her is beautiful. Stephanie , your rose rock ! The colours are so vivid and gorgeous .

jin

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

It is just a baby, Jin, but I've never seen a MT bloom look like yours.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments on the fragrance of Sweet Frances. So maybe she isn't as sweet in terms of fragrance, but I certainly enjoy the fragrances that aren't that sweet also. And that sure is a beautiful flower. Another one for my wish list. Sorry I asked the question twice - once on your other thread - I couldn't remember which thread it was.

Original Author
    4 years ago

noseometer, better to ask twice than not at all is what I say. It gets confusing since we also have the seasonal thread on the regular rose forum. It's now beginning to warm up with a vengeance and I'm curious how Sweet Frances will hold up in the heat since her petals look rather delicate. I will of course report on that. Mike Shoup's Pioneer roses don't seem wildly popular, although I'm growing Cole's Settlement and Deanne Krause in addition to SF, and will be adding Thomas Affleck and Star of the Republic in the fall. My little patch here should be as good a proving ground as any in terms of heat resistance.

Some more pics since the camera seems to be glued to my hand when I step outdoors.

Wild Edric
    Le Vesuve finally deigning to put out a very few blooms.
    Aunt Margy's Rose is into her second flush.
    The little green bushes in their cages are getting fertilized soon, something I haven't done inyears. I want some blooms on Coquette des Blanches, Baronne Henriette de Snoy and Abraham Darby!
    As usual SdlM (on the left) blooms all the time while the rest of the gang is thinking about it. Some of them are blameless since I keep disbudding them to encourage them to grow above the reach of bunny dentition.
    Wild Edric on the right and Marie Pavie on the left with lots of little buds.

• Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

Beautiful mix of light and shadow in your photos. I look forward to seeing your Coquettes des Blanches. I've been pleased with mine, the blooms are small but charming.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, Krista. I've only seen CdB once in person, in so. CA, and the blooms were a pretty decent size, and I wonder whether it's larger in warmer climates. I guess I'll find out, and I can't wait!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

All lovely, Ingrid. I prefer the softer color on Evelyn. There's something about Souvenir dlM that I can't get enough of, and I have to learn more about Sweet Frances. Your blooms are so clean and the foliage is flawless. Mine are starting their period of rest before the next bloom cycle, too. And, I have family coming from CA who scheduled their visit specifically to see the roses bloom. What they're going to see is my vast collection of weeds. They're magnificent this year.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • pippacovalent
    4 years ago

I just love all these photos I keep coming back to them.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked pippacovalent
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

flowers, you must know by now that peak bloom periods only happen before company arrives or after they've left. It's one of the immutable laws of nature, right along with the cat running up the curtain in the dining room, which yanks the rod out of the wall while you're serving them dinner three feet away, and your invariably gentle dog stalking their six-year-old (who has probably pulled its tail while you weren't looking). It's okay, the roses only care about you loving them.

4 years ago

Ingrid, you are so right and it sounds as if you might have gained this bit of wisdom from experience.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Lol, Ingrid that is too funny, and awfully descriptive...sure hoping that’s not recalled from memory!

I love all the photos of your garden...I think anytime would be a good to visit you! :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Yes, please share how your Pioneer roses do in the heat! I love the look of Coles Settlement also, and Lesil Neubauer had posted a photo of Pioneer Spirit that looked great. I think that the Texas heat is humid rather than the dry heat here in Albuquerque, and Ann's Beautiful Daughter did not do well here, so even though Texas is closer to here than the UK, that seems to be no guarantee of success. But I'd love to see how yours do.

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Beautiful pictures, as always. It looks like the little warmup we’re getting has brought out some more blooms. This is about as warm as I can stand it, but it’s inevitable that the real heat is coming. I’m eager to see what some fertilizer does for your roses. I know my Abe Darby and Evelyn like their fertilizer (and water.)

I agree that Sweet Frances is absolutely beautiful. That looks like my kind of rose. I’m looking forward to seeing it grow up, as I’m sure you are. It’s already grown well, from what I can see.

I’m sure you’ll see all the various color tones Evelyn has to offer. She’s always a surprise for me. I finally went up and deadheaded mine, and cut her back some. I also removed the fading sweet peas that were festooned over her. She was looking like a Christmas tree left up until March. Her decorations faded, and her ornaments long past their prime. Now I can look forward to a new flush of blooms.

As usual, your magnificent SDLM’s have me flummoxed over my little runt. It’s several years old, and is still about 2 x 2. She is blooming, but doesn’t even look like a distant relative of yours. Lately, I’ve been thinking she wouldn’t be that hard to remove. Remember when I didn’t even recognize your SDLM’s because they looked nothing like my pitiful specimen? Lol. That was quite a while ago, and she’s still pitiful. I rarely give up on a rose, but I think I’ve been patient enough with mine.

Her blooms are always much lighter pink than yours are, and very floppy. I wish I knew your SDLM secret:-)

It’s always a pleasure to see your garden, Ingrid. Be careful out there, my fellow “unbalanced” friend. (I mean falling, not unbalanced in the head, just in case someone doesn’t get it). Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cole's Settlement is not a prolific bloomer so far, and it's not very glamorous in its wire cage, but I'll try to photograph it soon, and also Deanna Krause, which has buds right now. Sweet Frances I would recommend over these two because as soon as it hit the ground it began to grow and bloom vigorously, which puts it ahead of 90% of the roses I have. Mme. Joseph Schwartz, planted right next to it, did the same, and is also a rose I highly recommend, more so than its parent, Duchesse de Brabant.

Lisa, the behavior and appearance of your SdlM frankly puzzle me. The leaves look typical, and the flowers look a bit like mine when they're already a few days old, except for the drooping habit, which mine never exhibit. I have two SdlM, and the second is only half as tall as the first, even though I've had it for years, so that isn't the strangest thing about yours, although in your rich soil it should be taller. The flowers on mine do get paler in a day or two, but the buds and new blooms always look pink. I wonder if yours is a less desirable clone. It should be easy to tell whether it's SdlM by the fragrance, which is very distinctive. Can you possibly take more pictures, in the evening and without the sun on it, including whole-bush shots? Also, would you happen to know where you obtained it?

Original Author
    4 years ago

We had a bit of cloud covering the hot sun and I ventured out to take some pics of SdlM for Lisa to study and compare to hers, and of course the rest of the roses were out there too....... I did get a shot of Cole's Settlement for noseometer.

This is the smaller bush of SdlM which has been hollowed out on one side by the bunnies, but you can see the mostly upright stance of the blooms, even more prominent on the larger bush below.

Cole's Settlement, not growing as well as it should as some creature had hollowed out the root area and partially eaten the roots.

International Herald Tribute and Marie Pavie happily intermingling under the benign gaze of Mr. Toad. I will always remember Jeri particularly for introducing me to the wondrous IHT.
    Aunt Margy's Rose has grown a bit since her first flush and is blooming again, although somewhat less abundantly.
    La France with somewhat damaged but still very welcome blooms.
    Eyes for You with a yellow mimulus in the background.

A beautiful new bloom of Sweet Frances on the right with the white blooms of Mme. Joseph Schwartz on the left.

Thank you for looking.

4 years ago

Thanks for sharing photos! There's something I find very charming about Cole's Settlement, which is surprising since I tend to like the heavily doubled flowers. Yours seems to be growing strongly and has a lot of buds. Please share how it does for you this summer. I may also need to replace my Earth Angel with Sweet Frances. I finally got Earth Angel to grow, and the flowers it produces have been extremely susceptible to thrips and getting crispy in the sun.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I share your liking for this rose and for the very double fluffy beauties, noseo, and I firmly believe that every garden should have both, for added interest and contrast. I'll be watching CS to see how it holds up in the summer heat, although the petals have quite a bit of substance, as do the leaves.

Tonight the evening sky was very strange, with a rainbow and a very pinkish light. It was around 8:15 when I went outside and the last photo was taken at 8:45, so it should have been almost dark but instead everything in the landscape glowed under this almost unearthly pink-apricot sky.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

Have the blooms on your SDLM always had that appearance, Lisa? I wonder what is going on... Have you sniffed the blooms?...the moderate fragrance reminds me of baby powder...

SDLM... prior to blooms opening

Then petal-packed blooms...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

Beautiful sunset photos! The colors in the sky are magical...

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

You guys really do take some amazing pictures, I can’t believe the colors you capture

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Oh, lo e the colours in sky. I always enjoy nature . This is bizarre Bec I took pics yesterday at 5.30 am while driving to work. I showed them to my kids Bec they never look up to enjoy anything so engrossed in their video games.
    First photo taken in the car when I was at red light. Second and third was as I was walking from garage to work . one side is different colour than the other as the sunrise is coming up.
    Last pic. on my back at 3.30 pm yesterday. My favorite was electric blue the early morning at dusk.
    jin

Original Author
    4 years ago

Sheila, those are such gorgeous pictures. I never tire of seeing your roses, which are larger and more beautiful with every passing year. Can you please tell me the name of the stunning yellow rose in the last photo?

Lynn, that is exactly what SdlM should look like. The color and shape are perfect. I continue to have doubts about Lisa's rose.

Jin, from everything I've read about Florida, it's supposed to have fantastic sunrises and sunsets, especially over the ocean. Are you anywhere near the water?

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

My SDLM blooms look like Lynn's too I think...

Like tissue paper scrunched up basically

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked pippacovalent
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pippa, it actually looks good enough to eat!

4 years ago

No, we are basically middle of the state. It's about 45 mins drive to Ocean. I think anywhere in the world has beautiful sunrises and sunsets. The Ocean just makes it more dramatic .

Pippa, your rose looks beautiful. I love the ruffle look too .

jin

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Ingrid, the yellow is Teasing Georgia. I did love the light that evening. I love all your photos.

4 years ago

Ingrid, Sheila and Jin, I've always loved night time and early am photos of clouds, sunsets, sunrises, etc. Those are all mystical and magical shots. And, you're all killing me with the SdlM photos! I need to toss this so called climber and get a shrub form, which is what I thought I was getting in the first place.

Jin, that ocean photo is a prize winner if ever I saw one!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022