SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

Olive picking adventures

colleenoz
5 years ago

Some years ago I worked as second cook in a local restaurant owned by a couple who also owned a property outside of our small rural town which they systematically planted with olive trees as a retirement income project. Over the years they have planted about 6,000 trees, hundreds of which are quite large now.

Every year when the olives are ripe, they have an official harvest launch where they invite family and friends to spend a day hand picking olives and then have a huge lunch and take home a 2 litre bottle of oil from the olives they picked, as the olive oil processing company is just over the fence :-)

It's great fun, and we've been every year but one for I guess about 10 years now, from when the trees were small and spindly. DH and I refer to it as Olive National Wog Day, from a popular teen book here which was made into a movie (Looking for Alibrandi), where the Australian child of Italian immigrants refers to her annual family get together to process tomatoes into home canned sugo as "National Wog Day".

The crew is always different, depending on who's available. I always look forward to seeing my boss's extended family as I also worked with them when we had really busy times and they were like family of my own. Besides DH and I there are also some other regulars, and then the new people who come always seem to fit in really well to make a fairly cohesive but diverse group.

We lay long strips of shadecloth on either side of the trees then use little special rakes to strip down the branches and pull the olives off onto the shadecloth. When we've done several trees the cloth is gathered up to tip the olives into crates from which they can be tipped into a large bin to eventually be conveyed to the olive oil maker. After the first bin goes we go back to the house for morning tea, then back out to pick another bin full or two before finishing for lunch. Those who want to can go with the olives to the processor to see how they are made into oil. Those who've seen it get back to the house early for first dibs on the showers :-)

I always bring morning tea, which I love because it gives me the chance to go nuts baking. I like to have nine or ten offerings to cater for every taste and switch it around, though warm scones with home made jam and whipped cream are a given. Everyone seems to enjoy it and many repeat visitors have told me they look forward to morning tea :-)

Lately there have been two harvest days to give a little more flexibility and because the grove is now so large and well established there's always heaps of olives for the picking. Some folks even pick some to take home to pickle. This year we were free for both days.

What a contrast! Two weeks ago we had a huge group of about 28, from toddlers to 70s. The day was quite warm to hot and sunny and sunscreen and hats were a necessity. We picked about 900kg of olives before we knocked off for the day. Showers before lunch were very welcome to clean off the grime and then we sat around a long table on the verandah enjoying the lovely weather and a delicious huge lunch provided by our hosts, washed down with good wine and much bonhomie.

Yesterday couldn't have been more different. We were only about a dozen, as many people who had planned to come (including my sisters in law) decided it would be cancelled due to the cold, rainy weather change (it wasn't). We waited up at the house for a while for the worst of the rain to pass then headed out. Despite my Vietnamese rain cape I still got fairly wet as the cape stopped at my knees and the water ran down my upraised arms from the wet trees into my pullover. Poor DH was soaked as he found his high-tech rain jacket was no longer waterproof :-( At one point our host suggested we stop and sit in the cars to wait for a while but we decided there wasn't much point as we couldn't really get any wetter by then :-) But we still picked over 600kg between us before we went back for a blissful hot shower and lunch in the dining room by the log fire. It was despite what might be thought, a really fun day.

And I got extra oil for being the morning tea queen , so now I have 10 litres of fresh olive oil to see me through to next harvest!

Comments (13)