SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seagrass_gw

Memorial Day menus?

We're socked into a chilly, foggy, wet weather pattern for the next few weeks. Brats on the grill aren't going to happen. My 86-year-old mother is going to be visiting us for awhile - we're hoping to take her out to a seafood shack for clam chowder and lobster rolls on the the weekend but we'll probably have to wear our woolies.

How about you?

seagrass

Comments (48)

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Boy, you ARE looking forward to visiting with your Mom, aren't you? I saw this posted twice, LOL.

I haven't made any plans, so far it's supposed to rain all Memorial Day weekend. We never do anything particularly special anyway, so maybe I can talk Elery into grilling something.

Annie

seagrass_gw Cape Cod thanked annie1992
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yeah - I tried to edit a typo and then when I hit the green "Submit" button the screen went blank and told me I was "unsuccessful". I've never been "unsuccessful" in my entire life. Gremlins all around Houzz these days...

• Related Discussions

Happy Memorial Day --formerly known as Decoration Day

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks Zeffy. I always have my father & his brothers & brothers-in-law, the whole generation really, on my mind at this time of year & again on Veteran's Day, Pearl Harbor Day... Daddy was in the US Army, serving at Anzio & North Africa. He never talked seriously about it, always made jokes about laying telephone line & his buddies playing jokes on each other. I never even knew he was at Anzio until I got a copy of his records, too late, long after he was gone.
    ...See More

camping memorial day thru labor day

Q

Comments (11)
    Jen, You know me, it is never too cold to camp, matter of fact on my way in about 2 1/2 hr for the weekend. It gets kind of tricky this time of yr with no running water in the campground though. We have to bring all water in jugs that we use. The REAL thing that bothers is me is no use of bathroom facilities, there is nothing like a restroom when you need one. Only 2 more months until the water is turned on. The smell of food cooking over the fire is awesome and so relaxing. Eal51----kind of funny you mention boyscouts, my hubby was a leader for years with my 3 boys and camped all yr. too. The stories I would hear about camping in igloos they made in the snow in the winter and waking up with icles on their faces etc it was so funny. I guess thats why we camp all yr, it is nothing compared to all those yrs. he went through. He says he is living the life now, he doesn't have to sleep in a tent in the cold any longer. We sleep in our tent when it is nice out though. Lynda
    ...See More

Memorial Day T'scape...A few hrs left til Memorial Day!

Q

Comments (11)
    Jeanne, your table is just lovely! The centerpiece is perfect, simple but so eye-catching. And you know that I love the addition of all the white bunnies (and tea pot). I am a firm believer that bunnies go with any and all holidays. LOL. Probably cause my house is overrun with the non-real kind. And none of those in the yard causing mischief, thanks to my life as a city dweller. Sorry I'm late to all the Memorial celebrations. And I never did get out my decor either. I'm going to give myself one more chance...4th of July...and if it stays packed again this year (be two in a row), then it will have to go. New rule I'm trying to enforce, stuff can NOT stay packed several years without seeing the light of day. I need to let someone else enjoy it if I can't. Anyway, I definitely enjoyed seeing your pretty things and am so glad you decorated for "us" here. ;o) hugs, Karen
    ...See More

What's on your Memorial Day Menu?

Q

Comments (62)
    Here is the recipe you requested, Shaun. A friend from work gave the recipe to me. Pineapple Coconut Self Frosting Cake 1 8.75-oz can crushed pineapple in syrup 1/3 cup shortening 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 egg 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup flaked coconut 1/3 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup pecans 3 tablespoon margarine or butter (melted) Thoroughly drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup of the syrup. Beat together shortening, sugar and vanilla. When creamy, beat in egg. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved syrup, beating after each addition. Spread 1/2 of batter in greased and floured 8" round or square cake pan. Try to evenly layer with crushed pineapple. Cover with remaining batter. In small bowl, combine coconut, brown sugar, pecans, and butter. Try to sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes. Nice to serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
    ...See More
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

I'll be following this, seagrass!

Right now, I feel as though the well has run dry. You know how some recipes delineate "active time" "total time"? Well, I want that first number to be really low, or an invite would work:)

CathyinSWPA

seagrass_gw Cape Cod thanked cathyinpa
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

We will most likely cancel but that's fine. I have the menu and shopping list and we will make same with better weather. Everyone knows this get-together needs good warm sunshine. Bocce, crochet, badminton, horseshoes, DH makes a putting green...

I worked out a somewhat easy do-ahead. (eyes roll, yeah right). And trying to go without plates/silverware, (ha)...I have a big box of 4inch bamboo skewers.

Spring Rolls

WatermelonRadish/GoldenBeet salad 'tacos'. (goat cheese, pesto, sun dried tomato)

Fresh Fridge Pickles

Cedar Plank Shrimp/Scallop appy... WhiteMiso/Ginger glaze coming off the grill

Smoked corn-on-the-cob in their husks

WholeBabyNewPotatoes par-boiled and skewered w/rosemary, red onion and poblano, (finished/roasted on the grill)

BabyBackRibs...(duh) : ).

Bonless/skinless stuffed/proscuitto wrapped SmokedChickenThighs

Rhubarb SheetPanPie

IceCreamSandwiches

5 years ago

Oh, I like to have a big bowl of peanuts in-shell and had planned to make caramel pop-corn for the kiddies since I found cute waxed paper bags. Maybe a Za'taar spiced for adults. Snack stands out near the game areas.

Fresh fruit slices whatever looks good.

No pasta, three bean salad, potato salad does give some prep relief.

So, we will have the thigh recipe this weekend since I've not trailed it yet... and smoked corn, salad, fridge pickles, and the rhubarb sheet pan since that is a first.

Just a few close friends no mater the weather.

• moosemac
    5 years ago

Our menu doesn't vary much from year to year. My "old" bachelor cousin and I celebrate our birthdays Memorial Day weekend. He is 10 years old than me. The menu is usually lobster, steamers, roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, arugula salad, and rib eye steaks for those that don't eat lobster. Appetizers are usually sea scallops wrapped in bacon or grilled asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, baguette and soft cheeses or bruschetta. A few bottles of a wines, we like to try new ones. Top it off with some sinful dessert homemade or bakery purchase and that's it.

Everything is cooked on the gas grill. We dine outside and use disposable pans, plates and utensils. Easy cooking and easy clean up.

The key is the weather. Long range forecast for Saturday & Sunday is 20% chance of rain with Monday a washout. I am shooting for Saturday.

• party_music50
    5 years ago

Who knows what the weather will be like, but I like a plain cookout best so that's what I hope for! The kind where someone is grilling a choice of hotdogs, hot sausage patties, or hamburgers, with all the condiments available (including hot peppers!), tons of salads (I love salads!), cold beer, and anyone to join in and make it a party. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I'm going to Sleevendog's.

I just need the address. Not gonna worry about an official invite. I'm a killer at badminton, but I cheat at crochet, and I'm dangerous with horseshoes. That menu sounds too good to pass up. You think I'm kidding and won't show up? Heh heh heh ; )

It's gonna rain here too, or I'd grill. I want ribs and corn on the cob, and my cuke salad with creme fraiche and onions. Simple, easy. I'm not going to get it though. Probably will do with BLT's. At least the local farmer's market now has some wonderful home grown tomatoes.

• plllog
    5 years ago

ROTFL!! 2Many, I daresay it's an artifact of autocorrect, but that is SO funny!

I don't think we're doing anything this year for various reasons. Our tradition, if you want to call it that, is picnic Americana at it's tritest. Hamburgers, hotdogs, perhaps fried chicken if anyone wants to bother, lots of condiments, toppings and pickles, vegetable sticks, baked beans, cole slaw, and apple pie with vanilla ice cream. We mostly sing (poorly) mournful Revolutionary war songs, but might drift into John Brown's Body, Goober Peas (Civil war) or Soldier's Three (Napoleonic?) to lighten the mood. We're very fortunate not to have any war dead, so we honor those who served and lost their lives in general.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 years ago

So far this is what I have planned. It may not stay that way though.

Ham

Cajun Green Beans

Potato Salad

Sour Cream Cucumbers

Pineapple Walnut Salad

Dinner Rolls

• chloebud
    5 years ago

This is tentative...still thinking but the cookies I made for ice cream sandwiches are done and in the freezer. Guests are bringing appetizers and a berry crisp. Looks like nice weather for us here in SoCal.

Grilled Tri-Tip

Twice Baked Potatoes

Panzanella Salad

Corn (off the cob - sautéed)

Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

• basilcook3
    5 years ago

We are probably going to have slow cooker ribs, grilled corn, some kind of vegetables (I think honey roasted carrots), mashed potatoes, and for dessert we will have brownies with ice cream and whipped cream. There will be about 10 people, 3 kids. A few guests are bringing appetizers that will be eaten during when they get here, and then about an hour in we will eat.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

That's it, I'll meet you at Sleevendog's, 2many! I can leave as soon as the Gettysburg Address is recited and Taps are played at the local cemetary, I'll hurry.

I'm terribly unathletic so you can easily beat me at badminton, I'm even worse at croquet and horseshoes go on the bottom of a horse's hooves, where they can do less damage. (grin)

I'd help Sleevendog with the dishes, though, or whatever needs to be done...

Annie

• nancyjane_gardener
    5 years ago

We usually go to our summer cabin at the Russian River, but due to several SNAFUs with the former renter, we're giving our new renter an extra month.

I'll probably splurge on the ribs at a local chi chi market which I do 2x per year, they're soooo good! Corn and taters on the grill and we'll see what others want to bring! Nancy

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Wow, there’s some seriously good (and very diverse) food that’s going to be enjoyed this weekend! plllog, I love that you and yours sing those old songs! Annie, it’s been many years since I heard Taps play, also at a cemetery as a Memorial Day service. I couldn’t stop the tears wetting my face. This year their doing it at our historic Courthouse and bringing one of the bald eagles raised and released here.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Ever so slightly OT: The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry…

The weather updated to sporadic rain this weekend and I was overjoyed, finally this grilling newbie was going to grill on National Grilling Day… er, I mean, Memorial Day weekend. Talking way to fast, using run-on sentences and face plastered with a slightly manic grin I spoke to DH about it last night…

Me: What do you want smoked Greek ribs gorgonzola burgers or something else with corn on the cob and cuke salad or would you rather have potato salad maybe we should have tomatoes and baked beans but not together what do you think?

DH: I thought we were moving the temporary kitchen and wrapping it up.

Me: {face frozen} Huh?

DH: Demo. (DH often speaks in one-word sentences)

Me: (sitting with my back against the one remaining interior wall of what I euphemistically call Phase 1 of our reno, daring not to move my head lest I see the offending wall in my peripheral vision) I actually said: You need to be more specific. Demo what?

DH: I’m tearing down the wall this weekend.

No smoked ribs, no blue cheese stuffed burgers, no delightfully charred corn, not even a BLT with thick-cut bacon and garden ripened tomatoes so juicy you have to wipe your chin with each bite. Takeout. Fast. Food. Takeout. {only dogs can hear my screams}.

annie1992, DH and I will pick up you and whatever family members can fit in our car. We’ll need several cars to fit everyone. plllog, I know you and yours are in - we can sing on the way (I’ll lip-sync because no one wants to hear that). cathyinpa, this is the invite you were looking for, so gather everyone and be ready to pile in! seagrass_gw, grab some lobster rolls and your Mom on the way out, your coming too. moosemac I know you and your Cousin are coming, right? chloebud? party_music50? C'mon people, sleevendog is counting on us!

Who else is in? More importantly, can anyone here toss a mean horseshoe?

5 years ago

I usually get 150% guest attendance. Everyone brings friends, lol. The more the merrier.

One 4th of July after all was prepped, the smoker was tampered down, outdoor table buffet pretty and ready...we fell asleep, out cold, together in the hammock. When we woke up a friend was tending the grill and a dozen early guests were playing games all around us. (haha)

I just sanded and re-painted my horseshoes. Red and robins egg blue, lol.

Mice got into my shuttlecocks and ate most of the feathers off. grrr.

My biggest issue is beverages. And glassware. No dishwasher at the farm and just low flow spring water but now have an outdoor vintage cast iron enamel sink. Still a pain doing dishes. We insist everyone brings beverage of choice. I stopped years ago trying to please. I make only iced tea unsweetened, and a ginger/lime/lemon seltzer. A honey bear next to the ice trough. A couple cases of jelly and pint ball jars.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

You have the shuttlecocks with the real feathers???!!! Oh, I'm so gonna beat everyone! (I wish).

That's a lovely story Sleeve, I can just picture it! Isn't it wonderful to have such great friends?! Ball jars are the perfect glass for such an occasion.

Well, I suppose you can now count on 200% attendance ; ) (again, I wish).

• chloebud
    5 years ago

I'm in and will bring some of our sunshine! :-) Never tossed a horseshoe in my life...is that a problem?

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

"Never tossed a horseshoe in my life...is that a problem?" Naaaaaaw. Not at all. I'll play a game with you! Just don't stand behind me, in front of me, or anywhere to the sides of me ; )

chloebud, Oh great, now I gotta bring something. Humidity? No. Mesquites? Nah. How 'bout a cool mountain breeze? Yep : ) Oh, I could make poke sallet! We have poke in our yard and I can't get rid of the stuff no matter how I try. And no, I've never had the courage to make it (or eat it). But I've been offered it.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Growing up with my family in the midwest, every summer holiday (Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day) always involved the grill. Simple - burgers, brats & dogs. All of the usual condiments/toppings. Then there were baked beans, potato and macaroni salads, seven layer salad, veggies and dip. Watermelon and brownies. Iced tea, lemonade and beer.

When I married into my husband's family in Massachusetts, for the same holidays it was always a clamboil. Steamers, new red potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, corn, linguicia and sometimes -if Pop was feeling generous -lobsters. I don't remember dessert after all of that. Beer and wine (since we were all grown up).

It's going to be a washout here on Monday.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

seagrass_gw, I'm sorry it's going to be a washout for you, but you'll get to visit with your Mom and take her out for a nice treat, and that'll be enjoyable : )

On the bright side for us, we'll be tearing a wall down that we've been anxious to take down for some months! Things always work out, somehow : )

seagrass_gw Cape Cod thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

"Just don't stand behind me, in front of me, or anywhere to the sides of me." ; )

No problem! I'll be safe on the sidelines sipping some Pinot Grigio. ;-)

• plllog
    5 years ago

It's supposed to rain here too! Which is really really rare, but probably will just be a little anticipatory June gloom floating by unprecipitated.

I'll bring the song sheets and onion jam. :)

• User
    5 years ago

Probably rain here from the tropical system in the Gulf. Doesn't matter; dh won't be home until next Tuesday.

Am hoping to do burgers on the grill once he's home. Have been harvesting cherry tomatoes for the past week and am starting to see a blush on a few of the beefsteaks. Will make a run to Glasers Farm for non-GMO Peaches & Cream corn. My mouth is watering just thinking about that sweet treat.

• nancyjane_gardener
    5 years ago

We can bring our ukes! Hell! We can bring our whole ukulele group! We play for food! Nancy

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I guess we're all going to Sleevendog's! I'll bring a bottle of wine! And a raincoat!

I can probably handle horseshoes. Bum knee precludes badminton. Singing sounds fun, as long as everyone sings louder than me.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Well, I wish we were all descending upon Sleevendog's feast and fun! I'd love to meet all you wonderful people/amazing cooks! And wouldn't Sleevendog be utterly surprised?! Perhaps the shock would be eased by all the goodies we'd bring : )

5 years ago

Canceled until the 4th of July so you have lots of time to plan, lol.

Too risky with imminent thunderstorms. I'll spend the weekend planting the garden when it isn't stormy. And test the stuffed thigh recipe.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

If y'all go to sleevendog's for the 4th of July, please take plenty of video.

This really made me laugh:

this grilling newbie

considering all the amazing things you've been posting here lately, 2Many.

We're supposed to have a deluge here, which is fine. I keep telling myself it's fine.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I'm so sorry sleevendog - and you had so much planned. Apparently many here are having to put off plans. Wish I could send our better weather everyone's way coz we aren't going to use it - staying inside and tearing out sheetrock.

writersblock, Wow, that's a huge compliment you gave me - I'm smiling hugely and my face is a bit flushed, no lie! You just made me feel so good : ) Thank you! I'm sorry you're rained out too : ( But, if we go to sleeve's 4th of July, you and yours are comin' too. So there ; )

• plllog
    5 years ago

Well, the ick is supposed to clear up here, so you're welcome, but the only place long enough for horseshoes is from the front porch through the living and dining rooms and out the back, and that would involve moving the dining table, which takes four people, and no, there will be no throwing of horseshoes through the living room, not even Nerf ones. So it won't be much fun here. :) No breakage, but not much fun. :) I suppose those so inclined could move the patio furniture and play baby badminton on the garage roof, if someone wants to stand in the driveway and throw the shuttlecocks back up...

Sleevendog, so sorry about your plans! Stay safe and have fun digging in the garden.

• plllog
    5 years ago

Never mind. Memorial day picnic is back on, though indoors. Hot dogs. Pan grilled, I guess. Bought buns, both whole wheat and egg. Baked beans, but maybe from a can because the only beans I have are garbanzo, adzuki and pinto. Maybe I'll get to pick up some white beans in time. Baby sweet corn, on the cob. Kale slaw (actually, cole slaw with some kale in it). Lots of veggie toppings for the hot dogs. Vanilla ice cream and cinnamon apple topping.

No horseshoes.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's going to rain and be in the mid 50's on Monday. So we are going to do baby back ribs in the oven, low and slow in foil with a rub and then out of for with BBQ sauce in a hot oven. Cole slaw and B&M canned baked beans. Maybe hot chocolate for dessert. Brrrrrrr.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Seagrass, have a hot chocolate for me. Here it's going to be a high of 91F. I'd much prefer your 50s, anything over 80F is too darned hot for me! It will be in the 80s all next week, then thankfully, back down to normal, which is low 70s and high 60s, much more tolerable.

Everyone can come here, but we'll all just want to sit in the air conditioning.

CindyMac, I just got the SunGolds in the ground last week, along with the rest of my heirlooms. Rutgers for canning made it into the garden just a couple of days ago, along with the eggplant, brussels sprouts, Napa, broccoli and peppers. It'll be a couple of months before I have tomatoes, it's always a very long wait for Elery, tomato season is only about 6 weeks long here and he loves them.

2many, I always cry when I hear Taps. We had a father/son team, the son would play and the father would "echo". The Dad passed away from cancer a few years ago and the younger brother learned Taps just so he could play the "echo". Just makes me cry more...

Annie

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie - I love winter. Temps above 70 and any humidity kills me. I've never been to the tropics and have no desire to go there. That said, I do love tomatoes.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Seagrass, I agree, as does Mother. She says she can always put more clothes on, but there's only so many that can be taken off. (grin) As soon as my stepdad passed away Mother sold the winter place in Florida and announced that she would never go back there again.

I do love my garden and all the fresh produce, but I don't like the heat, don't like the humidity and just generally don't like summer very much. I'm not a morning person at all, but I get up and work in the garden at about 7 am, before it gets too hot. Right now it's 72F and the humidity is 74%, higher than the temperature. At least we aren't getting hurricanes or tornadoes, so it's good. And I've been planting the garden, running the sprinkler. With the wet and the heat, things should just be popping! The Lake Michigan beaches are absolutely packed for the holiday, of course, but water temperatures are still in the 40s. That ought to be a shock to the system, LOL.

Annie

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Annie - I remember the curling of my thighs when I dipped into Lake Superior!! We lived in Standish, Michgan for several years. My father worked north of Detroit.

We're almost 30 degrees cooler here this morning than yesterday - overcast, breezy and wet. Fine by me.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

I envy you that weather, here it's 92F, having broken the "record high" set in 1911 of 91F. That's just too darned hot. It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow, then moderate into the 80s on Tuesday, then normal temperatures in the 70s at the end of the week.

I have to sprinkle the garden because at these temperatures everything just dries right up. The peppers are loving it, though! And now watch, it'll be 50 next week, Elery says Michigan is the only place where you can use the snowblower and the lawnmower in the same week. (grin)

I'm just sitting here sucking up the air conditioning, while the kids all went to the local beach. Inland lakes are a lot warmer than Lake Michigan...

Annie

seagrass_gw Cape Cod thanked annie1992
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's awful. I really hate hot weather. I abhor hot weather, I'd be happy to live in the 40's/50's rainy conditions.. I don't even crave sunshine,,,

• plllog
    5 years ago

Seagrass, thank-you for answering a question I've often had, which is why people who have a choice and no particular ties choose to live in such intemperate places as I see on TV. Answer: Some actually like being cold! Thanks! Happy Memorial Day.

BTW, it's going to be B&M canned baked beans. I don't use that much sugar, so canned won. :)

seagrass_gw Cape Cod thanked plllog
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

I hate the heat. I dread when summer comes, with it comes humidity. I'm not a beach person, water person, sunbather. We've got heat this week, and going to be hotter tomorrow 31°C (87F) and that's too hot for me. Factoring in the humidity it feels hotter. It's supposed to feel like 37 on Monday which is way too hot for me. Much as I love the southern states, there's no way I'd survive there :-)

seagrass_gw Cape Cod thanked Jasdip
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'd go back to Savannah again in February. Other than that I could never live in the South. Our home is on the outer part of Cape Cod. Because of the ocean, we are warmer in the winter than inland and cooler in the summer than inland. It's a nice climate overall but we do get hot and muggy, buggy and touristy in the high summer.

• plllog
    5 years ago

I think it's harder when you go between deep snow and 90°. You're constantly acclimatizing. I never minded Phoenix in the Summer when I was young (not sure if I'd love it now). They said you know who the snowbirds are because they faint when they walk into Sears (a/c). While I was abroad, I decided that a high of 40°C was fine but 42°C was just too hot. I prefer temperate. We have approximately 40° between our standard Winter lows and normal Summer highs, beyond which we really start to complain. :)

So it looks like we won't be getting rain tomorrow after all. It makes all the little flags on the soldiers' graves look sad, so I'm glad of that.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I never minded Phoenix in the Summer when I was young (not sure if I'd love it now)

Likewise. I lived there in the 70s with only a swamp cooler (no a/c) and it was fine, for the most part. But I hate to be cold.

Still raining here, courtesy of Alberto.

• Lars
    5 years ago

It's grilling weather here (74° and sunny), but I've chosen to cook inside because I plan to make the Normandy chicken recipe that Islay posted because Kevin bought the dry English cider, and I bought chicken thighs yesterday. We'll also have broccoli and rice with a mushroom sauce for both. I was going to make a beet salad as well, but I don't think we'll need it.

I used to crochet when I was very young - Aunt Marie (who was Alsatian like my grandmother) taught me how to do it to make doilies when I was four or five. I also used to play croquet at that age, up until I was about ten. I haven't played badminton since I was about 13, but my sister and I used to play that quite frequently. I only played horseshoes at summer camp, although we did have horses, along with horseshoes, at home. I've never played bocce, however, although I've seen people playing it in Golden Gate Park.

We had spicy grits with sausage and cheese for brunch today. I add peppers, celery, herbs, chicken broth, and frozen corn to the grits as well while they are cooking.

We've never had a Memorial Day tradition, but one year I drove up to San Francisco, and it rained heavily the first day I was there. I also forgot to pack pants on that trip, and so in addition to having to buy an umbrella, I had to buy pants.

• deeebert
    5 years ago

33 years ago we moved into a suburban neighborhood in Sandy Springs

Georgia. We have always had neighborhood parties for the Holidays, pool opening and other events. I am struck now by the continuation of these events.. Very inclusive, people of all ages and now children and grandchildren. We have a neighbor, a trained chef, who chooses to participate and prepare smoked meats. A committee does all the rest, music,wine and beer, sides for the brisket and pulled pork and the participating neighbors brings appetizers and desserts. A good time is had by all dispite the rain from Alberto. What a special place and really a showcase of true
    America