SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comtessedelacouche

(Just a little) OT: May 12th is ME/CFS* Awareness Day: #TimeforUnrest

comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

(Disclaimer: This post is really 100% about antique roses, and why I don't, and can't grow any...)

* ME/CFS = Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; aka CFIDS, SEID, and various other equally awkward and less than illuminating names!

I beg your indulgence for a one-off promo for this annual event when thousands of people around the world do our best - often, like me, from our beds, where for many of us, most or all of our lives are frustratingly spent - to raise awareness of this often profoundly disabling but massively under-researched and frequently misunderstood condition.

Because so many of us remain so frail, for decades, with relapses following any small extra exertion even years after the most devastating period of illness is apparently over, it's extremely hard to get up and sustain any effective campaigns for increased funding for research and accessible, appropriate care. As a result, visibility is practically nil, myths abound, and politicians see little to gain by putting their resources behind it, when there are so many higher profile campaigns with fantastic, professional PR for diseases that may be similarly or less disabling and life-altering.

But a few years ago, one talented and very determined lady called Jennifer Brea started filming her in-bed half-life with her i-Phone, when she was too weak to even write or type a record of her experience, and doctors she consulted could not comprehend what she was telling them about what had happened to her. She met others online, and started filming and collating their experiences together. Incredibly, while continuing to be bed-bound for much of the time, over the next couple of years she turned this into a feature-length movie that went on to win a string of international awards and to make the 2018 Oscars shortlist for 2017's Best Documentary Movie!

If you haven't yet seen it, the movie is called, simply, 'Unrest' and it's available for streaming on Netflix or, according to which country you're in, you can watch it on i-Tunes, Vimeo on Demand, Amazon Video, or GooglePlay for a small fee. DVDs are are also available for sale.

All the profits from sales and rentals go back into the campaign for greater public awareness, doctor and care-provider education, and lobbying for vital research to improve the chances of finding a cure and ending the long-drawn out suffering and exclusion from society of millions of people around the world.

(If anyone would like to watch it, but can't afford or get access to any of these methods, I'm planning to put in a bulk order for the DVD and would be happy to post a copy, free of charge to anyone who'll commit to watch it and then pass it on, within a reasonable period, to someone else who's willing to watch and pass it on, and so on.)

The film offers an incredible, moving and sometimes absurdly funny opportunity to journey alongside Jennifer and her gorgeous, supportive husband (who everyone in the ME/CFS patient community is madly envious of: 100% loyal, supportive partners/carers are not, unfortunately, the norm here) that is also thought provoking about how society treats people with illnesses (and other life issues) that science does not yet have the tools or knowledge to adequately explain. I'm sure many of us here can relate in some way to this, whatever our own situation.

Here's a trailer and some more info: Unrest: The Movie

Here's the link to watch it now, or buy the DVD: Watch Unrest

Here's a link for if you've already seen the movie, or haven't but would like to make a contribution anyway to help the cause: #MEAction - or google your local ME/CFS support groups.

Let me know in the comments if you'd prefer a free loan copy of the DVD to watch and pass on. (It could take me a while to get this together, so patience may be needed.)

Please post any comments and reviews of the movie here. All questions welcome, which I will try hard to answer even if it takes me a while.

Thank you so much to everyone who's taken the time to read this, whether or not you take any further action - I assure you every single bit of extra awareness and accurate knowledge in the wider community does help make life a little easier for us.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm