SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ed_r80

Bookshelf BUT no books!! Help me decorate!

Eric R
5 years ago
So I got this bookshelf to cover an open space and now I don’t know what to put on it! I don’t have any books at all. I have some extra home decor though! Is it a good idea to use decor instead of books? Any help is appreciated so thanks in advance!

Comments (44)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Return the book shelf. If you want the space covered, a few studs and some drywall will do the trick, then hang some art. A tall three panel, two sided screen could possibly work. A bunch of doo dad home decor on a bookshelf for which you have no books isn't going to improve the thing you didn't need. Sorry : ) Take it back. Post a photo of what you are trying to hide..........I can't see why you'd need to hide the kitchen it appears to be that you are hiding.

• Eric R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Jan, I can’t return the bookshelf. Sale was final. I live in an apartment and I can’t drywall. I used a bookshelf to cover the back of my stove which in my opinion does not look good when viewing from living room. (Photo below)
  • Related Discussions

decorating bookshelf? pics of yours?

Q

Comments (24)
    Cooperbailey, Thanks for letting me know the color of your paint. My white wicker dresser arrived last week and I just love it with my cherry bookshelves. I am glad I chose white and your picture helped me. Thank you! Now I am giving my friend my big 21" high speaker stereo and buying a shelf unit to make the room look nicer. It will still have the stepper in it so it will never be beautiful but I am make it nicer. I will post pictures when it is done. I am starting to enjoy eclectic and not all matching also.
    ...See More

Leaning Ladder Bookshelf decorating?

Q

Comments (4)
    Mean no disrespect but why hv one if you didn't hv a specific purpose? Sounds like adding doodads for sake if adding doodads. Perhaps you can use in a room that really needs it
    ...See More

ikea bookshelf - decor ideas needed

Q

Comments (12)
    msa, look for recycled glass jug or demijohn. Here's one at Wayfair, https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/beachcrest-home-recycled-glass-decorative-jug-bchh2414.html?redir=SKU+BCHH2414&piid=20525727 If you're just starting, with that wider-than-the-TV print above the TV, and are planning to add more framed prints/pictures, that's a good start. If that's all you're doing, then it's unbalanced. You need to balance the width of the TV, and it helps if the depth (height) of the print over the TV is equal to or less than the TV. Look at your/phun's inspiration pic. Also look at the inspiration pic and notice that you have a large number of very small items in and on top of the bookcase. In the inspiration pic, a number of the items on top are corralled in a wire basket making them look like one larger unit. A lot of styling shelves successfully is understanding/figuring out balance and mass/weight. You can have different items on either side of the TV -- two fern prints vs. three varied size baskets -- but the mass is equivalent so they look well-balanced.
    ...See More

Help find bookshelf

Q

Comments (1)
    Ikea. They used to sell the tall skinny billy bookcases but no longer do (at least where I'm from). People do still sell them secondhand though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slim-Tall-DVD-CD-Books-Media-Storage-Tower-Shelf-Bookcase-Display-Unit-White-/223292023886 The wider ones look like these. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-00263850/ The shelves are adjustable to get the look in the picture
    ...See More
  • Rina
    5 years ago

You're right, the back of the stove is ug-ly.

What do you own that you want to display? Do you have a collection of any type of object, or do you want to start a collection?

What are your interests and hobbies?

Can I not persuade you to start reading? :-)

You want to make it look as though it had to be there because it reflects who you are, or because it shows off lovely things it would be a sin to hide.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Find another spot for the bookshelf dear, I have never SEEN a stove with a back that high. But in the interest of safety, I'd not park wood anything directly behind, up against it. A three panel screen,, would be a better, safer bet......leave a gap behind the stove please, or fold it up when stirring the wok. Amazon Prime, 70 bucks. Use the shelf thing....elsewhere or sell it on craigslist

https://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Home-Furnishings-900120-Contemporary/dp/B00AEA6I8Y/ref=pd_day0_201_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00AEA6I8Y&pd_rd_r=ACQ96R9QQCNAY6N0E6AN&pd_rd_w=4ZnN3&pd_rd_wg=wwR7w&psc=1&refRID=ACQ96R9QQCNAY6N0E6AN

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

A metal bakers rack. That would allow you to display some (non flammable) items, like extra dishes and pretty cookware and casseroles, crocks with extra utensils, a collection of pretty handmade pottery, maybe cookbooks on the lower shelves away from the cooking area. I think bakers racks would not be hard to find on CL.

• kazzh
    5 years ago
    How about finding some photo frames? An old, but still useful idea.... collections of family, friends, locations ? You must have some stored away electronically, we stash photo's in our devices and don't ever print them up. Use the edit function and crop, enhance and colour. Print in varying sizes and try selecting different styles of frame but keeping to one, two colours or surface - ie silver, scandi style timbers. Don't crowd your shelves- leave space for your developing collections?....
  • kaybf
    5 years ago

you don't need to fill it immediately so the idea of displaying a collection is a good one. think of something you like and start collecting. framing some photos or even art postcards is also a good idea.

but in the meantime you should fill some of the space with books. get them at a thrift shop or salvation army. you can get nice hard cover books for $.25 or even less. they'll look good and may even inspire you to read some of them.

• Nina Gutie
    5 years ago
    Paint it. Beige or white? Find some books and fun frames. Since it’s in the kitchen maybe some cookbooks? Plants on top of the books, hanging ones.
  • functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I don't think you have anything to worry about the stove catching the bookshelf onfire. If so ranges would not be set in between wood cabinets and drywall. They are well insulated. Pick up a few hardback books at goodwill and decorate the rest of the shelf with what you love. Remember less is more.

• dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

I think the bookshelf was a great solution to your problem. How about a bar shelf in the middle similar to the picture above? Then take out higher shelves and hang a poster or picture you will enjoy looking at. Underneath, continue your idea of using boxes or baskets in lower shelves for storage.

• User
    5 years ago

I know you said you don't have any books, but maybe cookbooks? I'm sorry If this was already said and I missed it. You can get them inexpensively at second hand stores for a few dollars or sometimes less. I would consider getting maybe a few books with subjects that interest you. Besides books, I would add maybe some plants, baskets, photos (eye level), pottery or dishes. If you can adjust the shelves it can look nice to have one with more space to accommodate a larger piece of art. I would do some searches looking up bookshelves and how they're arranged. Since this is right near the kitchen also do searches for baking racks and how they're arranged. Try arranging some items and post some photos here and we can make more suggestions. It looks like your kitchen cabinets are lighter wood and light counters and white trim. The bookshelf would probably look nice painted the trim color if you're up for it. Could you post photos of the surrounding area there so we can see how it relates to the rest of the room? If you paint it, you'll need to allow it to cure before you add items. I'd wait at least two weeks (the can of paint should state how long cure time is), but most times I believe it can take about a month or so to fully cure. You'd want to wipe it down, prime (I'd use bonding primer - Zinsser 123 primer is good or Kilz) then you could lightly go over with 220 sandpaper, clean dust, and two coats of your paint. I would use semi-gloss.

• bpath
    5 years ago

If your apartment is like the ones I've lived in, you don't have enough storage. A collection of similar bins or boxes can hold almost anything you have, from winter gloves to boxes of cookies!

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Does the exposed part of the stove get hot when you cook?

• Helen
    5 years ago

I do have books but I also have lots of other stuff that I put on my bookshelves.

I got nice boxes and baskets to store things.

Go to Goodwill and get books - they are cheap. I donated rid (literally) of about 50 boxes of books because there was no longer any reason for me to keep them. I held onto a few shelves of books that were still functional - i.e. Joy of Cooking or sentimental but I'm pretty much anti-clutter now so I only have digital media (books, music etc) because I don't want to deal with storing anything and it's easier to access digital.

If you have no decorative tchotchkes, look on the internet and see what style or colors you like and then coordinate by color or theme or whatever you find aesthetically pleasing.

I don't see why a bookcase would be more of a hazard than a wall - it's the back of the stove which I assume is insulated and generally rests against a wall anyway.

I think it's an ingenious way to hide the back of the stove which is a bizarre design element to deal with.

• Jazzy
    5 years ago
    I would not personally put anything wooden behind to stove as it could potentially be a fire hazard. I have never seen a stove that high in an apartment exposed. Consider a baker's rack ... If you don't have space for the bookshelf , consider reselling.
  • pandtkendall
    5 years ago

Could we see a photo of the stove from the kitchen side, please. I've never seen a stove back this high or placed with no wall behind it. Very strange. I probably wouldn't have rented this apt because of it.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

It looks like the space was designed for a slide in range but the landlord cheaped out and bought a used or clearance freestanding range (thus the high, exposed back). if the back of the bookcase doesn't look good from the kitchen, just paint the part of it that's exposed to match the walls/backsplash of the kitchen.

I think your solution is a good one. I, too, would pick up a few books. What are you going to do if you have a power outage with nothing to read!! But the ideas above are great, too. I especially like the photo display on part of it at least, if you could do all black and white or sepia, with matching (different sizes, though) frames. If they don't match, or with color photos, it could become a real hodgepodge.

The other idea that seems practical is to get matching boxes, baskets, etc and store things you might not have great space for otherwise. Maybe the photo display on the upper shelves and storage baskets on the lower?

• User
    5 years ago

The idea of going out and buying random books just to fill up a book case seems very bizarre to me. In my opinion, books should be purchased to be read, not used as "decor."

• mjlb
    5 years ago

I thought that looked familiar... see related discussion.

Good point about tipping hazard -- in addition to warning about fire hazard.

related discussion

• PRO
    Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
    5 years ago
    How about making the middle two shelves of it into a bar? You can use some stick on hockey puck lights to create accent lighting and display some of your glassware etc
    The upper and lower shelves could also have baskets or something more enclosed for more hidden storage
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

It might be a good idea to cover the back side, visible from the kitchen, with something to make it decorative from that side. My first thought was Foil ? Not decorative. The second thought was a pretty sample roll of wall paper that makes your kitchen look nice, and than afix a thin piece of plexiglass over that wallpaper. It is not expensive, and will allow the wallpaper to show thru. The 3rd thought was a poster of some pattern or still life, and than protect that by having it(craft stores sell do it yourself laminate) laminated before you afix it to the backside of the cabinet. That way you can wipe off any splatter of spaghetti sauce or whipped potatoes or 7 minute frost that might fly up there and land. The 4th idea is to buy some of that pretty pressed tin, either in black or white, or copper, or silver...or...and press that on the back of the shelves. Instant backsplash, and very attractive also. Now, on the shelves, I think using baskets or bins is awesome if you can find some that fit in, and do that on a couple of shelves, for seasonal items, softgoods for a table(cloth napkins, picnic ware, etc) as well as a pantry if you need add'l pantry storage or small appliance storage. If you wind up with more 'tools' to store on the shelves, you can always buy a cafe curtain rod and some rings, purchase a pretty single bed flat sheet, fold it at the top to create a faux valance as needed to keep it from being a drag on the floor surface, and no matter what you put in the shelving it will be hidden. Of course, you can do that same thing with a vintage piece of tablecloth, vinyl tablecloth, lace curtain panel. Well, now your ideas are endless. Have some fun with it all. I like the other ideas share above this post too. If you find a buy on the pressed tin tiles, you might get some more of the masonite cut to fit and nail it all across the opening from left to right, put the tiles on the kitchen side and....put the tiles or a poster or wallpaper all across the living side of the wall. ...AKA What was the complex owner thinking when he created this????? ?? They might cooperate in having the masonite installed and help defray the cost of the pressed tin tile since it would certainly be a permanent NEEDED asset to the place.

• ledmond10
    5 years ago

Why would it be more of a tipping hazard here than if backed up to a wall?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Omg. Spend 70 bucks and get a screen up above. Put it six inches to a foot away from back of cook...,, use the bookcase somewhere else. Not that hard. And you'll make up the 70 not buying junk to fill the shelves.

All is portable to the next home. A screen is always nice in a corner :)

• Eric R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi everyone thank you for all the opinions. I got a lot of great ideas from you all especially the cookbooks idea and photo frames. The bookshelf is here to stay because I’ve already tried a room divider and didn’t like it. Also, the stove is all electric (no flames) so no need to worry about that. Picture from kitchen coming soon. Thanks everyone again!
  • Eric R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi everyone thank you for all the opinions. I got a lot of great ideas from you all especially the cookbooks idea and photo frames. The bookshelf is here to stay because I’ve already tried a room divider and didn’t like it. Also, the stove is all electric (no flames) so no need to worry about that. Picture from kitchen coming soon. Thanks everyone again!
  • Eric R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s how it looks from the kitchen. I know it’s a little DIFFERENT but I don’t mind it so it should be ok. Also wanted to add that the bookshelf did not cost me a lot of money nor will the decor because I have a lot of it. And to the person who asked why I don’t have books.. well, I HAD some but I threw them out before moving into this place lol I didn’t know I was going to get a bookshelf until the landlord brought the tall stove so here I am covering it up.. but that’s just me. Anyway, thank you so much again for your comments!
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Please post an update photo when you get the shelves filled :)
    Good luck! ⭐️
  • tatts
    5 years ago

Put your Kindle on one shelf, on a stand. Let your visitors pick their own book. Problem solved.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

It seems like a good idea to me. If/when you move, you'll have a sturdy bookcase.

Since this will be at the back of your stove, you might want to make sure that the paint, at least on the back, is for "high heat".

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-12-oz-Bar-B-Que-Black-Satin-High-Heat-Spray-Paint-3-Pack-7778830/303282792?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-AllProducts%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkdPv64zw2gIVwlmGCh3KhQ4wEAkYAyABEgJlyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIjXnfWM8NoCFdALgQodbDsDKw

In addition to any cookbooks you have or might acquire, you could display items such as canister sets, candy dishes, candle holders, serving trays and dishes.

As to the color ... IF you want the shelving unit to not be a visual focal point ... if you want it to visually disappear as if it were a wall, you might paint it the same color as your wall. Alternately, you could just paint other side -- the interior sides, back and shelves -- a less stark color.

If you decide you want something different to cover this space and/or want to use this shelving elsewhere, you could measure the width of the base cabinet in which the stove is placed (? about 42" ?) and locate a heating/ac duct installer in your area and buy a square piece of sheet metal you could have framed as if it were a photo and attach it to both the overhead and base cabinets with screws and remove it if/when you move.

You could have this piece of sheet metal framed with wood to minimize any risk of being cut from the edges of the metal, provided, of course, you take into account the frame's width as you have the metal cut.

You could paint that square of sheet metal you're having framed with the black high heat spray paint -- but do make sure you have adequate ventilation to use spray paint. (Paint it outdoors if you can; it dries well enough to handle it by the edges fairly quickly.)

The side of the metal opposite the stove could be decorated in any number of ways. You could paint it another solid color or paint a design on it. You could affix wallpaper or contact paper to it. You could use magnets to hold pictures in place on it. This would be an art project you could take with you if/when you move.

One caveat, if you don't frame the metal, you'd want to be sure the metal was cut by pro, put the cut edge against the wall and still be very careful about cutting yourself on that outer exposed edge.

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Keep the book case away from the stove please. You do not have to have flames for something to become combustible. The auto ignite point of cardboard is about 450 degrees (hence the book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury!!). The back of the book case is probably a cardboard like backing material. It does not have to come into direct contact with flames to combust. And exposing it over and over to high temps lowers the auto ignite point. Keep the book case away from the stove.

• User
    5 years ago

All bookshelves, tall dressers, stoves, etc have anti tip straps or brackets that they come with. Which almost everyone ignores. And a few people regret ignoring when it kills a child or pet when it falls over on them. A friend of mine actually testified in a lawsuit over a death resulting from a stove tipping over and causing a death.

So you have 2 elements back to back that can hurt you if not properly installed.

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Sophie, I totally forgot about the whole tip factor. Good catch. The stove is improperly installed and then the bookcase has no straps.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

The heat producing elements of the stove are not at all close to the back of that bookcase. In fact, the top of the stove will provide a barrier from the burner/hot food and the back of the bookcase. I'm sure the upper and surrounding cabinets are closer to the elements than that bookcase.

• JustDoIt
    5 years ago

Actually, the bookcase is a pretty good solution to a problem.

• Eric R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Once again, thank you so much to every single person giving me advice. Especially fire & tipping hazards advice! Thanks and stay tuned (if you’d like) for the finished look.
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

You can probably buy 'hurricane straps' at a local building supply store and make them work for your bookcase...

• kazzh
    5 years ago
    The bookcase is a good solution to your problem, good on you. It doesn't look so bad at all from kitchen side..... the idea of pressed tin,metal to provide a splash back and fire protection gets my vote. For all the fire comments .....ensure you have a working kitchen fire extinguisher and fire blanket!
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 years ago

I like the look and it's a good idea. I would, however, put the bookcase on sliding pads or casters and just move it away some when using the oven. No big deal.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I looked at a few instalation instructions for electric ranges online. There is clearance requirements for the height of cabinets above and on the sides of the cooktop, but 0 clearance is required for the back wall and bottom cabinets.

• Eric R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hello people, I’ve now filled up my bookcase. I am happy with the result even though some say this is solely for books. I may change out the items because I’m the kind of person that gets tired of the same thing after a while lol. Anyway, thank you again to everyone for your input.
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Sure beats the back of the stove! Good job :)
  • josephene_gw
    5 years ago

Our library sells books by the bag $1.00

per bag.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Glad you came up with a plan that makes you happy!