SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgmitro

How do I choose a new paint color for an already colorful room?

Jen V.
5 years ago

Hi, I have a large living room with honey colored white oak floors and a medium-dark wood beamed ceiling. The walls are currently a pale yellowish faux and I am trying to find a neutral creamy/beigy color to repaint the space. But every time I find a swatch that (I think) will look good, I get a sample, paint it on a 2x2 drywall, and when I hold it up to the wall, it looks either too yellow or too pink. And if it doesn't look too yellow or pink, it just looks too dull, almost grayish, which does not work. I feel like part of the problem is I can't see the color correctly because of the yellow already on the walls. I am having the same problem in a bedroom where the walls are a pale pink - everything looks too yellow or too green. [Note: The same color that looks too bright and yellow in the living room looks too gray-green-dull in the bedroom]. So how do you pick a paint color for a room that already has so much color in it that it feels impossible to see how the color will really look once it's all over the walls? I appreciate any advice or help with this!!!

Comments (2)