SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

How do I choose a paint brand?

Oakley
15 years ago

I have to put this here because the Painting forum is pretty dead and everyone here is familiar with interior paints.

I'll be painting four rooms. Great Room, (very big), sitting room (small) small areas of the dining room, and some in the kitchen, oh, and the utility room. I'm more concerned about the great room because it IS so big.

My builder prefers SW. First, I don't know what sheen I want. Kids are grown and gone, so I'm not too worried about having to wash walls very often.

I know about semi-gloss and high gloss..but what exactly is eggshell and matte? I know they have a dull luster, right? But can you wash them? What is the differnece between a matte and eggshell?

It seems like most posters like Benjamin Moore paint. Why? I've read that SW makes a "Superpaint" that is well liked also.

I am so new to this, I really need all the suggestions I can get! It's not set in stone that I have to use SW though.

Mainly, what's your favorite brand and why, and what is the difference between matte and eggshell, and their pro's and con's.

Comments (12)