SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

I HATE my printer!

Anglophilia
5 years ago

I have an HP all-in-one printer that I bought about 10 years ago. I don't print things very often so it doesn't get used a lot, but has always worked perfectly. What I DON'T like about it is the cost of ink replacement cartridges. So, when I needed some, I decided to try a 3rd party ink cartridge that they swore would work with this machine.

They arrived and I installed the cartridges and it immediately know that they were not HP and told me so. So what, Big Brother! I then tried to print my Proof of Insurance card to keep in my car, and it came out so faint it could hardly be read. Tried cleaning the print heads using the "set-up tools" on the printer - no luck.

So, I wrote a negative review on Amazon and thought I'd go buy some of the real kind at some point - in no hurry - present card does not expire until 1 July. I got an email from the 3rd party company immediately, offering to troubleshoot my problem - said it should work. Did all they suggested and they said they'd send me new cartridges at no charge (double black ones) and if they worked, would I revise my review. Of course!!!

They arrived promptly but I've had a lot going on and hadn't yet installed them. Today, I needed to print a tax form for my records so I put in the new cartridges - just the black ones - others had always worked. Still no black printing - in fact, it was worse!

I have spent the last SEVEN HOURS messing with this printer and the cartridges!!! Apparently, this is a known problem - at least if Google is an example. I finally too out the printhead and cleaned it with very hot water (recommended on YouTube). Lots and lots of black ink came out, so I thought it must have been clogged/dried up - I don''t print anything very often anymore.

Put it all back together and again, no joy. Did all the various utilities. In doing so, lost the connection to my computer - took forever to get that back. Went on HP's web site and tried all their suggestions yet again.

Called their Customer Service - of course I knew my printer was out of warranty so I was very surprised that they wanted to help me. Dumb me! After taking control of my computer (I was VERY uncomfortable with this - NO ONE takes control of my computer but Apple!), the CS rep starts telling me my computer is corrupted and that I also need a new printer. I can have a reconditioned one and he can "clean" my computer for $399. Huh? My computer does NOT need "cleaning"!!!! What has he done? When I got VERY firm with him, he admitted that I could shut him out and then go back to using my computer - that he had changed nothing. Well, in fact, he had Terminal open and so I had several things to close down at that point.

I was furious that he did not tell me right from the beginning what the cost would be. He finally said he could just "clean" my computer and try to troubleshoot my printer for $99 - I can buy a new one for that price.

I guess I'm naive but I would have thought better of HP than this kind of nonsense. Apple tells you right up front what non-warranty/AppleCare support costs - no lead-ons or shifty stuff.

I continued to try various things, including another cleaning of the printhead, but it's not working. What a total waste of a day! I will not buy another HP after this experience, so now I need to research (another day wasted?) all-in-one color printers for home use and see what's out there and recommended. Ugh!!!!!

Why is nothing ever simple? I know - most sane people would not spend the time I did, but I am known for my tenacity! I just hate throwing out what was a perfectly good AIO printer but I don't want to spend anymore money on one so old. Sigh...

Comments (29)