SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Kitchen Reno Timeline or When Can I Start?!

louislinus
6 years ago
We are planning a major kitchen / downstairs remodel for 2019 that includes an extension to the kitchen that will require knocking down a portion of an exterior wall. (We have to wait until then because that's when we will have the money. )Of course I've already done the fun stuff like flooring, colors, etc but my question is when do I start talking to contractors?

There are obviously a lot of budget considerations with a big project like this and I need to know if my fantastical ideas are even feasible. I have a decent sized budget but still, we did our patio last summer and spent 2x what I originally planned. What is the right sequence of events? And when do I start?

1) Do I spend a $1k or so now to get an architect to do a plan and then have contractors bid on that?

2) Do I call some design/build contractors to come out and give us a rough estimate? Will they not even want to come knowing our job is at least 12 months out?

What's the right way to go about this? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and I *really* don't want to screw it up.

Comments (21)