SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_roselover

Feeling very overwhelmed & defeated...

HY aka NewbieRoseLover
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I know you more experienced gardeners are probably going to laugh at me and think me very naive...

It's coming to the end of summer here in Australia and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by all the pests in the garden. I feel like every day, I see yet another plant covered in SCALE and aphids - and ant nests everywhere farming the scale & aphids - I can't stand it!

I've been trying to be "good" and environmental and not use any chemicals - so I've only been using eco-oil and neem oil and/or soap & natural pyrethrin spray as a last resort - but I spend ages carefully spraying and then I turn around and look and the plant is covered with scale again!! I'm exhausted and feel like I'm getting nowhere. :-(

I know you're supposed to let the "good predators" take care of the problem and because I have a "cottage garden" style with lots of different plants - I do see ladybirds around and hover flies and parasitic wasps and all sorts of bugs - yes - but they just don't seem to be doing enough.

My gardenia are completely riddled with scale and keep dropping their flower buds because of this. Same with all my heuchera: COVERED in scale and I had to pull most of them out. And the impatiens and columbines and daisies! Everything that I can't understand why it's not thriving despite all the sun/shade, water & TLC - when I look closer, I find scale all over it. The foxgloves have been completely INFESTED with aphids (like the leaves completely encrusted - it makes my skin crawl). Same with my dahlias. And alstroemeria.

And ANTS! AAAAARRGGHH!! I HATE them! They're everywhere and they keep carrying scale and putting them back on the plants or moving them to new plants. Nests all over the garden, digging holes everywhere, under the pavers too, and climbing up into plants like my hollyhocks and chewing up the flower buds, ruining them before they open.

The only thing I can find to kill the queen & nests looks so poisonous, I'm afraid to use it. That's the problem - I'm scared to use the stronger chemicals and I don't want to kill the "good" bugs - but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. :-( I've been following all the recommended steps to keep plants as healthy & happy as possible: I amended the soil with compost & manure before planting, I mulch, I use seaweed tonic every fortnight, I use slow-release organic fertiliser, I water regularly, I prune & deadhead like a maniac, I clear away dead plant material promptly...

I feel so angry & frustrated & helpless & defeated, I just want to cry.

This is my first year gardening and the first time I'm experiencing summer - so maybe this just goes with the territory and I'm silly to expect anything else. You're probably all laughing at me.

Ironically, my roses are all fine. Huge & blooming. A few aphids on buds and a few yellow leaves at the bottom but pretty much all lush & healthy and producing new canes or flowers. It's ironic - I was scared to grow roses originally because everyone tells you how much work they are - so far, my roses have been the easiest things to look after! My only "problem" with them is that they're too vigorous and getting bigger than the space I have for them but really, in the scheme of things...

Here's PAOK this morning (she's having her 4th flush)

Every time when I've been in despair and thinking of giving up and going back to a native Australian bush garden, I see one of my roses and they make me smile again and I think maybe it's worth persisting.

I suppose it would be easier if I just had roses but I don't like the look of "rose gardens" where you only have roses - I like a variety of other plants "in wild profusion", like a true cottage garden.

I've been busy with book deadlines the last couple of weeks and haven't spent much time in the garden - but I just sent the finished manuscript off to my editor so I'm trying to catch up now and there are so many gardening jobs to do but every time I go out, I seem to end up spending all my time cursing & spraying things with more neem oil. :-(

Here's one of my poor gardenia, covered with scale & revolting mealy bugs...

Sigh. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Comments (21)