SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wdb1019

baby succulent dies after parent leaf falls off and is replanted

whitney
6 years ago

I'm new to succulents and propagation. I've actually been experimenting for about 6 months, but I live in NYC on a first floor apartment with not a lot of sun, and long, dry, cold winters so the growing process has been slow. I've been placing the succulent leaves in a shallow cooking pan with cactus/succulent soil with perlite mixed in. One baby plant was doing well and the parent leaf fell off so I replanted it so it could begin to grow into a larger plant in an actual planting pot. It died just a couple days later. And another new sprouting succulent's parent leaf just fell off a few days ago, so I did the same thing - replanted it, and now it looks like it's about to die. It's little stems are collapsing and overall looks much weaker than it did before the parent leaf fell off. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? How do you know it's time to replant the new sprouting baby succulent? The baby plants just don't do well when the parent leaf falls off, it's as if it needs the larger leaf to rest upon because it doesn't have quite enough strength yet. As for watering - I've been watering about once a day. I use one of those plastic squeeze bottles with a nozzle to give just a little bit of moisture because the soil dries up so quickly. The plants are in a south facing window, but it doesn't get great sunlight, because of trees and buildings that block some sun as well as the fact that I'm in NY and sometimes the sun hardly shines at all on winter days! Anyways, any helpful hints are appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (6)