SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbond1967

Jade in Need of Help

gbond1967
10 days ago

I sort of inherited what I believe to be a jade succulent that looks like it needs some help. It's at least ten years old. I re-potted it in fresh succulent-specific soil but I'm sure it needs some more help based on the pictures I am seeing of other similar plants!

It is straggly, which I understand can happen when it doesn't get enough sun. I have it in an east-facing window, which is the only option. However, I have read that the red coloration is heat stress. So I am not sure what the best light option is. On a clear day, because we are in an apartment building on a hill, it can get direct sunlight from sunrise to about 11:00 a.m. or so. The rest of the day is indirect since the sun is on the other side of the building. There is a west-facing window, but it doesn't get nearly as much light because of other buildings and trees. The east window is the most practical option for several reasons.

I am also wondering about the wrinkled leaves. Some newer leaves appear plump green, but these seem to be thin and shriveling! There is a plugged hole in the bottom of the pot that I unplug and then put the whole thing into a larger pot of water. I had read somewhere that allowing he soil and roots to draw the water up is better than watering from the top. I let it sit in water for over an hour after re-potting because the instructions said to water it well. I know they don't need a lot of water, especially in winter.

I am very new to succulents, so any observations or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)