SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gankaku

Aloe Vera Replant Problem with Pictures (sorry about first post)

gankaku
13 years ago

I have a huge aloe vera, which I'd been keeping in a square pot with a rounded rim. It had 3 babies this year. Spring came and I thought it'd be a good time to separate the babies and repot the large aloe vera, since the weight of it was tilting it and I'm always afraid the plant is going to fall over.

I'd been planting other flowers and such and this might be my mistake - I planted the babies in the peat moss+tiny bit of lime mixture soil I had. Also when I repotted the adult plant, I used some of this mixture, as well as putting the plant into a regular round pot.

My problems are:

* The adult plants lower spikes leaning against the pot are not looking good - does it not like laying against the sharper rim?

* Both adult and babies look terrible! What were healthy plants two weeks ago look awful. The babies are all wilty and discolored. The adult plant is losing a lot of the hardness in its spikes - even the big ones. I'm afraid I'm going to lose it if I don't fix it soon.

The adult plant is still inside but the babies are outside in the morning sun.

Here are some pictures so you can see my problems:

Here's the adult. The inside looks ok right now...

{{gwi:546458}}

But when I let go of the spike, there's no lift. It wilts and droops. Before replanting, it was nice and firm and all spikes stood out and up strongly (btw the tilt is just because it's so heavy; I've not been able to get it to sit centered...it seems to like to tilt to one side):

{{gwi:546459}}

The babies:

{{gwi:546460}}

On closer look you can see that each one has had die-back of the entire spike.

{{gwi:546461}}

This one has what looks like a strong spike but when you gently squeeze it, it's not firm - you can tell it's starting to go soft.

{{gwi:546462}}

I have the babies in the shade outside (they're getting a bit of morning sun). I just put the adult outside today. The soil is somewhat moist. Maybe I watered it too much after I repotted; I usually don't give too much water because they do better on the drier side.

If you suspect it's my soil and I'd better do something now, is it safe to repot with just some of our outside ground soil? We have a bunch of topsoil here (we're digging a project) and our soil is on the acidic side. Or should I just wait on it, does the adult look ok enough to wait longer?

I'm afraid to touch the babies (repot) because there's not much left to them.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH