SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suuuueee

various aloe vera/potting mix questions

suuuueee
17 years ago

hi there. because it was so nice and sunny today (for once) i was gonna put my aloe plant outside so it could get some direct sunlight. but on the way, i stumbled and dropped the plant.

because i only repotted 4 days ago, everything fell out, dirt and all. also, when it hit the deck, two of the leaves bent and cracked, so i ripped the top parts off.

when i repotted 4 days ago, it was my first time, and i didn't realize that i should've ruffled it up so that the roots weren't stuck in the shape of the old pot. so because the plant had fallen out anyway, i thought, why not? i'll repot it properly this time.

so after shaking out all the chunks of dirt, i got to take a look at the roots. (i did take pictures and everything, but i've misplaced the USB cable; sorry!) the roots were quite dry (so that means they're not rotting, right?) but not SO dry that they were brittle. even though they were covered in dirt, i'm pretty sure they're not white in color. they looked tan/red/brown to me. is this a healthy color?

so right now i'm letting it sit outside on some paper in the sunlight. how long can i let it just sit without a pot?

reason i haven't repotted it yet, is because i have some questions about the proper potting mix. i used a potting mix especially made for cactus & succulents (said so right on the bag!) by Scotts. but it doesn't look fast-draining AT ALL to me. i'm no expert but it doesn't look very different from regular potting mix.

so i'm wondering... before i repot, should i mix the supposedly C&S mix with some more stuff? i'm guessing perlite? is perlite available in most stores?

or can i mix it with things like marbles?

thanks for all your help in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor