SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariec_6a

Various plants owner NEED HELP potting mixes

mariec_6a
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello yall!

Ive been reading threads on this forum for weeks, which helped a lot to understand many many things, but now the further I am reading the further I am getting confused, so I decided to post my own questions :P This is my first time taking care of plants so please bare with me :) I have recently purchased several plant species (previously owned) and would like to change their yucky soil in which they all are potted into, like asap.. The succulents are currently in a soil that water just sits on top and doesn't go through, and the tropicals soil doesn't get to dry out, its always moist. I would like to do some sort of gritty/Al mix for each of them (511 or 111 or ?) but knowing that my plants all have different needs, some being succulents and other tropical, Im not sure if I can use the same combination for all of them but I would like to keep my shopping list the simplest possible. BTW I am a Canadian fellow so no turface in hand lol..

My succulents: 1. Jade 2. Echevenia

My tropicals: 3. Boston Fern 4. ZZ plant 5. Golden Pothos

So far these are the ingredients that I could find and that I can purchase: pine bark mulch (but do I need or not? is it truly just a filler?), perlite, oil dri absorbent (which I am kind of afraid to use/breathe), sphagnum moss, granulated dolomitic lime, lava rock (not sure of size yet though), natural aquarium gravel, vermiculite (again, yes no?), granulated gypsum (?) and montmorillite clay.

OK. So i do know about the constancy of particle sizes... my first question is which ingredient "combination" would be best for me to purchase (please include any substitutes as well & without abbreviation please :P) and which combination for which plants? Also, I do not understand PH very well, will i have to worry about that? And once its time to fertilize, what do I use for succulents, and what do I use for my tropicals, can I use the same nutrients? How can I make sure the ph won't be affected? Any possible diy fertilizer ideas that are easy to make and sufficient?

Thank you so much in advance for your time & help !!

Marie

Comments (37)