SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adigradina

Need help with 5-1-1 potting mix choice

Adrian B
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello All,

I have decided to start some container gardening this year (mostly tomatoes and peppers) so I purchased some 15 gallon containers for the tomatoes and 5 gallons for the peppers and lined them up in the sunny corner of our back yard, but when it came down to selecting the potting mix I began to have second thoughts about the big box store offerings.

After searching online for the best options, I found this website and I've spent hours after hours enjoying a variety of useful,informative and educative posts. The more I read, the more subjects to cover. I've gained a lot of knowledge from the water movement and retention threads and comments, got very familiar with container fertilizing and the 5-1-1 potting mix and decided to use it going forward.

I started driving to the neighborhood nurseries and big box stores in search of the mix components. I found #3 Perlite in 4cft bag and nursery pots at a local hydroponics store, got Sphagnum Peat Moss from Home Depot, Dolomitic Lime and fertilizer on Amazon, and now the only missing component is the "5".

I've found Earthgro groundcover bark at Home Depot (San Jose, CA area), and after reading some posts where some of the members here used it successfully, I decided to give it a try so I sifted 2 bags through a 1/2" screening cloth and got the material in the screenshots below. Since the material in these bags seem to be varying greatly from batch to batch, and I don't have any previous experience to compare it with, I'm turning to your expertise to find out if what I have is usable (and if it requires more sifting/more peat moss) or if I should be looking for other alternatives.

Additionally, I seem to have a good source of Turface in my area. Should I consider using that instead of Perlite for additional water retention?

Thank you for your advice and for the wealth of information you have contributed on this website.

Comments (10)