SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angierainbow83

Year 2 Newbie Container Gardener- Need help with potting soil mix

angierainbow83
13 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read over my post. I'm going on year 2 of my container gardening experience & learning some hard lessons from year 1....

At this time, I can only have a container garden, so I'm looking for the best solutions to help with a better gardening harvest. I'm looking to start potting some of my bulbs but I'm having some trouble with the best or most sutiable soil to use. I'm only interested in organic soils & tried my hand with Miracle Gro's version of organic soil. Last year, I didn't seem to have much success with my tomatoes or bell peppers using that soil, so I wanted to try something different. I figured that some possible root problems occurred as well but my plants were able to grow tall & bloom but I got very small veggies to grow; so small that none could be harvested. The only veggies I could harvest were Swiss Chard & some herbs. Oddly, I gave up on my swiss chard after my other veggies died off & the southern winter freeze came along, but they continued to grow heavily with minimal watering or care taking. I am still harvesting some til this day.

This year, I'm using large plastic containers for my tomatoes, swiss chard, bell peppers & onions; a wooden planter box for my strawberries; a plastic window box for my herbs.

I do apologize for not having the sizes or any other specs of my container garden, as I said I'm only pushing into year 2 of this, outside of my endless years of growing all kinds of hot peppers as a child (they seem to grow regardless of any real care).

I would like help on what is the best organic potting soil to use & whats the best way to plant them? I have seen alot of info about using river rocks at the bottom for drainage, is this a good idea? Also I have seen info about EarthGro Humus/Manure & potting soil, are these good soils & ferts to use in containers? I hear that they resist watering a great deal.

Thank you all in advance for any & all info & advice you can give. I'm glad that I found this site, just wish it was a year sooner, lol!

Comments (5)