SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bea_in_fl

Ace carnivorous plants (CP)

bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I stopped at my local Ace Hardware today and of course I took a look at their plants. There was a table with several CPs but none had tags. There are 11 species of these plants and some look very similar even to me…and I've been growing CPs for 20 years.

A sales lady heard me comment on the lack of tags to my husband and she volunteered that they were Cobra plants and Venus fly traps.

NOPE! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!! They all were north American pitcher plants (Sarracenia). She insisted even after I explained the difference and my experience with these plants. And to make it worse they were potted in regular potting soil…CPs are bog plants! They grow in water. I felt so sorry for them.

The moral of this post is unless you are buying "regular" plants at Ace (and these all have tags) stay away from CPs and orchids for that matter (same problem with these…no tags and wrong info).

BTW if you ever want to grow these amazing plants consider buying them from the most recognized and respected grower in the USA.

https://www.californiacarnivores.com/

Comment