SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bojana2012

New laundry closet - front loader or top loader??

bojana2012
6 years ago

The front to back dimension of our new laundry closet is approx 38" but there's a trap plumbing valve that sticks out 2.5" from the back wall, so we only have 35.5" to work with. I'd prefer to buy a front loader bc the city is going to start metering our water in the next couple of years, I feel that the physics of how front loaders wash is more efficient, plus consumer reports rates them well, plus we can get a new LG 3670 for about $500. The 3670 is 31.75" front to back and so we can only leave it open a couple of inches (no more than 3.5") using one of these handy gadgets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JLEDZE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ODAPHTFQZ51L&colid=I9WEY4VOT35W&psc=0

My hesitation has to do with whether this opening will be enough to keep mold and mildew from developing inside the washer. We plan to use a HE detergent and in small amounts so it doesn't build up inside the machine. We plan to use the tub wash cycle once a month or more. We will dry out the rubber gasket around the door and can even dry out the inside of the tub after each use, and can remove the soap tray after each use to let it air out. But most people I know who don't have problems with their front loaders leave the door open all the way all the time when not in use...

HELP! I would love to hear about your experiences...especially if you're someone who has followed all the precautions with front loaders highlighted in the preceding paragraph. Thank you!

Comments (6)