SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008

Comforters, king on a queen

debrak_2008
6 years ago

We have a regular queen size bed but queen size comforters are always too small. Technically they fit but I don't like the way they look. I was all set to buy a king size comforter set but most sets include sheets that I have no use for.

Does anyone use king on a queen? If so, how do you make it work?

Comments (29)

• bpath
    6 years ago

I haven't seen king sets that come with a whole set of bedding, besides, just shams and maybe a bed skirt. (Queen bed, queen comforter, because a kind comforter would drag down the sides when we sleep.)

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

I had a double-sided pillow top queen mattress and found king size sheets and comforter was just right. There are comforters that come alone, you don't have to buy the bed in a bag.

• Related Discussions

King comforter / queen duvet

Q

Comments (4)
    I have used a king duvet in a queen cover and it worked just fine and gave it that cozy look. I ended up getting some velcro and stitching small tabs on the corners on the duvet and in the duvet cover so they wouldn't scooch around.
    ...See More

Rethinking king size bed for master- anyone regret their queen?

Q

Comments (66)
    If you have the room for it King is always better! But just keep in mind its always harder to downsize once you’re used to it. we upgraded from Queen to King when I was pregnant with my second kid.. i was already feeling cramped with one kid kicking me.. fast forward to now Ive separated/divorced and I let ex hubby keep King bed but i got myself a Cal King out of wanting to keep the space i was used to and my littlest still bed sharing… my current home has small bedrooms and i am now considering downgrading to a queen to have more room in my master bedroom, but i dont want to give up all the room.. wish i didnt get used to it now, because my bed takes up most of the room 😭
    ...See More

king size comforter

Q

Comments (1)
    I've never tried it but I certainly would! Wish I would've thought of that.
    ...See More

what is the size of a full/queen comforter?

Q

Comments (6)
    These sizes can vary by manufacturer, so you'd best check the description of any of one that you may want to buy. The sizes are usually listed on the package, or in the description, if ordering online. Twins usually are around 68 x 90. Full sizes can range from 78 x 86 to 86 x 86. Queens range from 86 x 86 to 90 x 94. I just purchased a queen comforter last week from Overstock that was 90 x 92.
    ...See More
  • debrak_2008
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm looking at JCP as they are having a sale and many of the sets do in fact include sheets. 13 piece sets. I did find some that are smaller sets and do not include sheets. I guess I will just need to look at each set I'm interested in to see what it includes.

Our current queen comforter only hangs over the sides a few inches.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I have a king-sized duvet and king-sized shams on my queen bed. I like it! Sorry the light from the windows makes it hard to take a good picture.

I bought the duvet a few years ago from Overstock. For a while I had a Target duvet cover on it, and it looked a bit wonky, where the cover was a bit big for the duvet. This cover is from Ikea and fits pretty well. So if you went this route, I'd recommend either buying the same brand duvet and cover or check the measurements.

• Jan Shimer
    6 years ago
    hubby and I just started having queen comforter issues after 44 years. just started thinking about twin ones..how does it look???!
  • bettyglo
    6 years ago
    We have a king on our queen better. I didn’t like how the sides were so short and king looks great!
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

I think it's a false economy to buy a whole set that includes the sheets you don't need just because they are on sale. Have you looked at individually priced king comforters to see how the prices compare? Lots of places sell just the comforters or duvet covers that you can stuff with a down or down alternative comforter.

• debbie1000
    6 years ago

Similar situation--full/queen size on a full bed. Full/queens are wider than full (and they don't make a lot of full comforters).

It's in our guest room and it is actually too wide for our full bed. But we put it on so it looks "right" as you go into the room and the excess is on the side near the wall that you don't see as often. But it did not come with sheets so we did not have to deal with that.

• bpath
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You could probably get a comforter cover made in the fabric you like, to go over the comforter weight/fill that you like, then buy whatever sheets you want.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

I use king comforters/bedspreads on our queen beds. I do not use dust Ruffles, so they king hangs down a nice length on the sides. I have never seen the sets that include sheets.

• ratherbesewing
    6 years ago

My pet peeve is that current sizing for full/queen comforters and coverlets tends to be skimpy. Sometimes, you can find a true queen which might be a little more generous. Buyer beware these days because the sizes (actual measurement in inches) will vary. When shopping, know YOUR measurements.

• H B
    6 years ago

Jan, I’d post a picture but too embarrassed. I think it looks fine, but we don’t do the piles of decorative pillows, etc. and no one sees the room except us and the kids. That said, I have matching duvet covers on the twins and straighten them out every morning. They are wider than needed, so they can be overlapped in the middle, or I kind of fold them under in the middle. We have a contemporary type bed platform, with an upholstered headboard. I’m so much warmer with a comforter that goes all the way over me (I’m, um, a little wider than hubby), the function over what it looks like is worth it.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think I need to go shopping just to look around. I've only looked at JCP.com and all seemed to be sets. I don't mind sets that include a dust ruffle and decor pillows but I definately don't want the sheets. I will take measurements so I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you all for the help!

• 2pups4me
    6 years ago

I use king comforters on both of our queen guest beds. The only drawback is having to make the king shams into standard/queen size, but it’s not difficult if you have some sewing skills.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

We have used a king duvet on our queen bed for years. Too much fighting over the covers with the queen.

• User
    6 years ago

Ack I just got rid of a very nice white king duvet because we have a queen. Bought it second hand and it wasn't marked for size and couldn't find tag while in the store. I do think it seemed too big on ours but this thread has me second guessing!

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

A queen mattress is 80 long by 60 wide. Add mattress thickness, in my case 10” (80+10) by (60+10+10) and I figure my queen comforter must measure approx. 90 x 80 if I want the bed skirt to show. Therefore I go by measurement rather than queen vs king labeling.

if I want to tuck bedspread or coverlet where it stays tucked or if I want it to go all the way to the ground I use a king.

I have also converted to king pillows so it becomes more expensive as need to buy shams/cases separate from bed covering.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks for the pics as I need to step back and decide what look I'm striving for.
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Debra here is first option, where you’d go by mattress measurement rather than size on label. Here is a pic of bedding just covering mattress, to allow for skirt to show.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

I've have the same complaint...queen bed and duvets and quilts don't feel big enough. I've thought of doing a king size too. I have found most quilt and duvet "sets" are usually the cover and 2 pillow cases.

• mary
    6 years ago

We have a pretty thick mattress and I'm thinking of buying a king for queen bed. I don't necessarily want it to hang to the floor but I do want it to cover all of the side of the mattress and box spring and some people online are saying the comforter I'm looking at needs to be bought a size up.

Guess I could buy both sizes and return one.

Just measured my old comforter and it's wider than the new one I'm looking at. Guess I should try the King.

• Jan Shimer
    6 years ago
    thanks...we had a trip to see friends in France last year and to the Czech republic...they all use twins on their double beds..they look just fine..I liked it.
  • mary
    6 years ago

got the king....it came with a bed skirt but I haven't put it on. the king covers well enough and I think it will be easier to clean under the bed w/o the bed skirt. Also since the bed skirt is a king and the pleated type not sure if it would work on the queen bed. since so much of it would be covered I could probably get away with it but don't really feel the need

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I was curious about the 2 twin duvets on king bed idea and found this article with some photos:

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/scandinavian-style-two-duvets-on-one-bed-168149

• Jan Shimer
    6 years ago
    callgirl5.....that's what they have in France and Czech republic
    ..!!!!!!!!! they gave us 2 sheets as a gift not realizing our beds aren't set up this way..but now I want to do it...looks amazing when bed is made..
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago

You can purchase a comforter without the sheets at many places - Bed, Bath and Beyond, Macy's, LLBean etc.

I just finished 3 beds - a king, a queen and a full. I detest bed skirts and I don't like seeing the sides of the mattresses so I always buy larger comforters.

My new king has a high profile innerspring and a low profile box spring so I ordered my winter comforter from Cuddledown and picked an Oversize king. For summer I ordered a king matelase bedspread from the Company Store. Both are large enough to cover the mattresses.

Cuddledown also sells oversize queen if you think a regular king would be too large. We put a king on our queen bed but it also has a high mattress.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

What one must first decide is how one sleeps. Is the room warm or cold? By warm, I mean is it pretty much the same temp daytime and night or is the heat turned down or off at night? Most people in the US sleep in very warm rooms - often 70°. If so, a huge, heavy comforter that goes all the way down, would be stifling at night.

I sleep in a very cold room - if I can get it into the 50's, I'm very happy. In the summer, I aim for 66-68 - hard to get it much more than 25° colder than the outside temp and it's hot at night where I live.

What works very well for me is to have a larger top sheet on my Queen size bed. I buy my sheets in the UK as they come wider and longer there - very easy. If there is a good drop on both sides and a good fold-back at the top, I'm happy. I don't like heavy (weight, not warmth) covers. I discovered that other than when we lived in ME in the winter, a down comforter was just too hot at night. So, I use a down BLANKET. I think I got mine at Target. I did get a King for my Queen bed, and I use it side-ways - the satin binding is on the sides, not the top/bottom. On top of that, I use a very lightweight quilt - the French call them a boutis. This keeps me very warm unless the outside temp is in the single digits. If so, I put a mohair throw crossways over the top of the bed - it's my shoulders and the trunk of my body that get cold, not my legs.

I always use a dust ruffle on a bed. I like the look and one can store things under the bed without it looking terrible. I prefer a custom made one, but there are some decent readymade ones out there but they are not cheap.

Investing in good bedding is worth the expense. We spend a LOT of time in our bed and if we don't sleep well, the next day does not go well at all. When I say "good bedding", I'm not talking about sheets such as Porthault or Pratesi that are priced in the stratosphere! But better than what is typically available. It's one reason I buy my sheets in the UK - excellent quality, lovely details, and affordable.

I have 3 sets of sheets/cases for my bed, so I rotate and don't wash them to death. I have sheets that are 15 years old and still in excellent condition. I replenish a sheet at a time. I prefer a white top sheet, one set of white cases (I use french back shams only), and a small patterned bottom sheet with a 2nd set of cases that are the same or that add a little touch of color. My quilt is a toile and goes with the rest of the room.

• Lyn
    6 years ago
    Skimpy queen-sized duvet covers are driving me nuts also! I tried a king-size but it seems too heavy and hard to manage, and unbalanced in appearance. I need an in-between size because I added a 3" cushion to my mattress, which I love, but duvet covers don't reach low enough to cover the top edge of the base where the skirt rests. I've resigned myself to making my own cover, but good fabric stores are far and few between. I feel your pain!