SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt98svt

Cost of building - comparing two plans

matt98svt
6 years ago

Hi all, im ready to downsize from a 3000 sq ft home I built 10 yrs ago to something closer to half that size now that my girls are in college. Im in upstate SC and theres still lots of land for cheap around me and cost to build is quite reasonable here. My current house is 1500 above ground and 1500 below with a finished walkout basement. Cost per sq ft was much cheaper for the basement area vs the above sq ft in my last house. I have found two plans I am looking at building, similar in sq ft, but one is a 1.5 story with a shed dormer and the other would similar to my current house with a main level with a finished walkout basement. Im trying to get a ballpark of what the price difference between the two would be. I really really like the 1.5 story, and while a 1.5 story is cheaper than a 2 story or putting it all on 1 level, im afraid it will cost a fair amount more than the plan with the walkout basement. Both are very simple designs as I will be paying cash for the home and want to cut as many unnecessary cost as possible. Anyhow, i will post 3 photos of each plan and welcome any input

Comments (23)