SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floravitapaintedchandeliers

For wall art, do you prefer Original paintings or Prints? and Why?

I've seen a couple discussions lately on the vast topic of wall art. I'd love to know from home owners if you prefer to own Original paintings or do you shop for Prints?

(thought that of course I should add an image here...) :-)

Comments (47)

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

I'd rather have a great print than a staving artist original.

• PRO
    Floravita Painted Chandeliers
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Sushipup1,

What makes you think most artists starve? I guess that's the stereotype. Is it that you don't see really awesome art in art festivals in your area?

I just think that your comment is interesting (and I mean that positively). :-)

And, you know, these days print quality is awesome! If a painting is color corrected well, it can look just like the original, minus any texture that would be there. And you can get prints on a lot of different surfaces.

• Related Discussions

What do you think of this wall art for my living room?

Q

Comments (15)
    Dang, I didn't come back to the thread to check and I've got the wrong piece over the piano! Anyway, I'd think it would be too small for your fp. Here it is at 36x24 over the piano. Too small but you could certainly flank it with a couple other pieces. Then I sized what I thought looked like a good size over the piano, at this room angle. As of now, without sitting on it, I do think I like the third one best, quite large, although that would depend on the fp wall as you don't want to dominate your focal. It does make a really nice vignette with your chairs, and I think it looks really pretty in your room, right on target. So, I'd get it regardless of where it ends up. The frame would be a fabulous price just in itself. I see it's still out there. The tapestry is gone, though. Hopefully you picked that one up. So, even though times have changed already! here's something to look at as food for thought. Oops! And the main reason I ps'd this was to move your chairs! lol. The one on the right, esp, needs to move out and away from the piano more. I'd also shift the fp one to the left a bit if you can. The piano needs to breathe more, and so do the chairs, I think. From the pic and plan, they would still seem close enough for conversation. I also tried to angle the fp one a little more inwards. I do love that ottoman there. Maybe angling the chair a bit would help it to not block the fp quite so much, although overlap is a good thing!
    ...See More

Help! Which Plan for Storage around the Range Do You Prefer?

Q

Comments (85)
    Ice, thanks for posting your lovely kitchen. I struggle with visualizing ideas, so it is really helpful! Funky, if we go with additional lighting I think you are right that the sconces are going to work better with the look and small space. It also makes a lot of sense to add a little additional light - it can always be turned down - and to have a couple lights that are task-specific or for mood. The artwork idea is so fun. I'm going to have to think about this! I also have that evil powder room wall, if I could find the right decoration. There's something terribly pleasing about having begun the kitchen planning with the thought, "Oh my, where am I going to put all my stuff? How is this ever going to work?" and to be drawing toward the conclusion and be thinking things like, "My storage plan around the range should be nothing, or art. Bbtrix, Thanks for hunting out this pictures for me. The style you pictured and the placement might look really good in this situation. The pulls are a kind of a strange color, "antique pewter," so maybe hard to match. The faucet is chrome and lighting fixtures in the dining area are currently dark bronze. So ... we're already getting patchworky, for better or worse. Here are the pulls - first is the stock photo, and the second is a photo I took when investigating flooring. (We're probably about to order the brown tile on the top.) The pull looks more silvery in direct light:
    ...See More

Art dilemma/discussion of originals vs prints

Q

Comments (26)
    That picture makes you smile. Buy the print you love and that fits your budget. Most folks don't have any original art unless they or a friend created it, but if/when you see original art you love in your budget, buy that. ETA: DH just came home and I showed him the picture. He just smiled and looked down. One of our dogs, who goes in our pool a lot and show shook off all over me yesterday afternoon, was lying near his feet. I would definitely hang that in a pool bath or kid's bath, utility room or mud room -- guest bath if it fits. I think you will enjoy it. You can get the stretched canvas and not frame it at all. I have done that and like the look for kid's rooms and casual spaces. It is also a way to hang the piece now and add a frame later if you prefer. And if you do frame it, you don't have to mat it, like you will have to do with a paper print (unless you float it in glass). Get the print first and then take it and try it with different frames. I think that image will look best with a very simple approach.
    ...See More

Which wallpaper pattern do you prefer for an accent wall

Q

Comments (18)
    It looks like the wallpapers that you have shown us are all over the place. I think you may want to back off and start with creating a color palette that includes the furniture, as well as bedding and flooring. I'm not big on the idea of finding wallpaper first and then designing around it.
    ...See More
  • sml 3
    6 years ago

I like buying from local artists- and I don’t have the budget to pay for higher priced pieces. I also think it depends on the interior style of your house and what you can get away with.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

I also like buying from local artists. It’s fun when you can meet the artist, or at least have a gallery owner tell you about the artist. I also just like having the original thing, the thing the artist actually created, rather than a copy. But I do have both — originals and prints — in my house. What I don’t care for are prints that the entire world has, or has had in their dorm room...you know, the Renoirs and the Picassos. No judgment, I just wouldn’t hang it myself.

I also have my kids’ school art framed and/or displayed around the house, and they’re all my favorite works of art!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

What CPA said! Strong paintings are wonderful for any home, office or other interior space. Original work means one owns the only original version of a painting. Paintings don't have to match the sofa or the curtains. Strong artwork can and deserves to stand on it's own. Perhaps it's time to match the chairs and the rug to the painting! :-)

• H B
    6 years ago

We have original art (paintings, watercolors, prints, photographs, quilts, etc.) by family members (of all ages); and original paintings and prints by artists. We have a few 'prints' and they are because we love them too -- for example there is a reproduction of one of the drawings from "guess how much I love you" and a fun winnie the pooh, as well as reproductions of old Disney posters; and a reproduction Durer engraving (no way could afford a real one!). They are selected because we like them, and not to match any particular decor or space. Sometimes it is challenging to find the best place to hang them. I enjoy looking at what other people have chosen for art in their homes, and when it seems unique or unusual, there's usually a pretty cool story to go with it. Glad to see anyone enjoying art.

• cawaps
    6 years ago

I have both in my house, though at this point vastly more original pieces than prints. I've retired some prints as too boring or generic, and unfortunately that describes a lot of what it widely available. But I have some gems, too. Beautifully colored dynamic artwork that happens to be a giclee print from World Market. Heck, I still have framed poster I got in grad school that is terribly faded but I like so much I may replace it (and I can do that because it's a print) rather than throw away.

Prints are convenient for making suggestions on the boards because they are easy to shop for, comparatively inexpensive (generally), and you don't have to worry about someone snatching it up before you can buy it.

• sml 3
    6 years ago

It’s so much more personal to buy from a local artist. Knowing that someone’s heart and soul went into making the piece you’re buying and displaying in your home just feels so special. I also love seeing the texture of the piece. Plus, when buying local, you’re more likely to find scenes, landscapes, subjects, etc. that are familiar and feel like “home” to you. It helps me relate more easily to the art.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

"Starving artist" was a jab at the 'art' sales held on the weekend at chain hotels. You know, one weekend only, original paintings starting at just $29.99!

It was a joke.

• User
    6 years ago

In this room, I have both. It just depends on what captures me or draws me in. If a print is well done, I don't care that it's a print. I just care that I love it.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I prefer original but I do have one print in my guest bath that I love. I'm getting disgusted with my local art shows/festivals. I live in Florida and whom ever picks the artists allowed to be in the shows often picks only people who paint palm trees, flamingos, manatees etc. Really really getting sick of just the tourists being catered to in these events. There are plenty of galleries but I can't afford those markups. There are a few direct from artist artists I like on ebay.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

The only prints I have are signed (and numbered) etchings and linoleum prints from artists that I know. I also have one of my silk-screened pieces up as well (in my bathroom), from when I took a class at Fort Mason in San Francisco. In addition to the paintings that we have hung in our house, we have many more in storage in the garage - some adorning the walls of the garage. I do collect other prints, but they are in storage, including a Russian poster from the 1930s.

At one time, my brother (who has an MFA) had some giclée prints made from some of his paintings.

When I lived in San Francisco, most of my friends were artists, and I collected a lot of their works, and so they have sentimental value to me, in addition to aesthetics. I do not own any paintings done by people I have not known or met. I did once I have a beautiful silkscreen print of Haida art that I bought in a gallery in Vancouver, but I ended up selling it because someone offered me enough money for it. I also have a collection of Zapotec tapestries (rugs) that I bought in Teotilán Del Valle, Oaxaca, and I did meet the weavers in person, although I did not get to know them that well. I also bought tapestries (cotton) in Guatemala.

The reason I do not have prints is that I do not have room for them.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I live in Florida and whom ever picks the artists allowed to be in the shows often picks only people who paint palm trees, flamingos, manatees etc.

I'm in FL too but at the art shows I attend, I don't find that to be true. Look for the high quality art shows. If you message me where in FL you are, I can give you the name of a few top shows nearby.

• Holly Stockley
    6 years ago

I have some signed and numbered prints, I have some originals. All by local artists, of subjects I know and have an emotional connection to. I also have some family artists, although Aunt Betts works on a scale that is not very workable in a residential setting (6'x6' canvasses are her norm).

Perhaps because I grew up surround by artwork done by various family members, I sort of prefer it - even if it's not Renoir. (Suddenly wondering where the paintings of the old homestead and the Charlevoix lighthouse have wandered off to...)

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Cpartist, Artigras is coming up so we'll see if it's a nice mix this year. Things seem to be changing as even big Sunfest isn't doing Juried art anymore.

• DYH
    6 years ago

I have many original art pieces, some purchased from a gallery, some given to me, some purchased at auction and another commissioned. I have a few signed/numbered prints (a few antiques), as well as art sculptures. I have many original pieces of numbered pottery from North Carolina potters.

It's not about seeking out original art per se - - as much as finding something I love.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I posted a few minutes ago and it didn’t show up. Hmmm.

I have original oils, signed prints, and a couple of my own paintings. One mass produced print, a Durer. Most of my art was purchased in antique shops.

I haven’t shopped for prints,but if I saw something that I really liked, I’d buy and hang it.

I haven’t seen anything at the local craft fairs that I would want to buy. It’s too bad, but there have been some artists there with great technique and totally goofy subjects.

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank YOU so much, everyone, your insights are incredible!

This totally make me miss the decade that I spent exhibiting in the higher-end art festivals in California. Getting to talk to the public about art intensely during the weekends—I miss that! What I don't miss are the ultra-early morning set-ups and tear downs (and weather).

I want to mention to justerrilynn: tell the promoters what you think next time you are at a local show. They usually have their own booth. What gets juried into festivals is a combo of what historically sells best and artists also go where their work fits. As you are a patron of the arts, don't hesitate to tell them what you are thinking and what you want to see, if you want to see more modern art. These days art festival promoters are looking for ways to revive their fairs and that includes bringing in new artists. The big show over in Coconut Grove probably has awesome modern art—and it's very hard to jury into as an artist. I know glass artists who've loved that show.

sushipup1: I totally forgot about those hotel 'art' shows! In the early 90s our neighbor bought several oil paintings from one of those shows. The paintings were kind of Dutch/old-master themed works, kind of dark...maybe a little bit Bob Ross-esque. Those types of art shows used to be really popular...and they were actually paintings that were purchased in mass from productions studios in Eastern Europe (as opposed to China today). When the art economy got iffy in the 90s, those were the first to evaporate from the 'art' sales market—it was almost overnight. I think the reason they never returned is because printing technologies made it possible for artists everywhere to sell in inexpensive price brackets...and then art festivals really grew in numbers.

• User
    6 years ago
    We have a mix. Prints of popular culture in kids rooms that they have chosen. Family photos and holiday adventure photos in stairwells and family room. Original art primarily painted by my dad and a close friend everywhere else.
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

If I like it, doesn’t matter if print or orig. however, budget is a big factor. I have been replacing prints w/originals but a very slow process as I love what I have so not running to change.

• jmm1837
    6 years ago

I've got a real mix of "art" on my walls - most are originals, mainly oils, a few water colors and pastels, one batik of St George and the Dragon in icon style (don't even ask!) and a some wood carvings as well. I also have a few numbered prints from the artist, along with some antique prints. We do have two prints of works by LS Lowry, which are important to my better half, so they stay.

But generally, I prefer to buy original work rather than copies - there's a lot of affordable good art out there if you aren't in a hurry and or just looking for something to fill a place on the walls. I've picked up original art in small galleries, art fairs, and the occasional street market or local exhibit (and an antique map and print shop has me on their e-mailing list). I also inherited a couple of paintings that belonged to my grandmother and mother when my mother passed away recently. Nothing special, but they have meaning to me. And I think that's where I'm coming from: the art has to have special meaning, and ordinary prints seldom do, even though they can be beautiful.

• xenapittsburgh
    6 years ago

I buy what I like and what I can afford. I would love a Salvador Dali original but have to settle on a print. I don't care about whether the artist is famous or not since fame does not always equal talent. From musicians to artists there are always those with extreme talent, even more talent than those names we all know, who will never be well known. becoming a famous artist is a mix of talent, a little luck and/or who you know. Would Georgia O'Keeffe have been discovered without her husband? We will never know...

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I highly prefer original art...better bought from an artist.

But. Say I really love something, and it's gone. Sold. I can make an exception and buy a print. From that artist.

Or the artist is an illustrator for books, and whatever's available from her/him would be prints..if I'm very much into his style, and I live too far away to see whether there are originals in his gallery where they live maybe, I'll think "maybe I'll get a print"

Or say now I really love some painting, that costs 3 grand..I know quite well I don't have this money, and if I had it-I'd spend it on a different painting. So I'm thinking-if it's a print-here's my opportunity to have this fascinating-to me- image. And then if I still feel that way after a month of thinking, and can't get it out of my head-maybe that's what I'll do. Haven't decided yet. But I'll buy it from that artist.

So I was a purist I may say, but recently I started making exceptions. So while most art we have is original. and some are by artists I personally know and kinda come back to them, or waiting until I can afford to do so-we do have a couple of prints. And we'll have some more soon, just need to be framed.

(My problem is-where I put them..Because it's not like I can make myself stop lol. It's not like I buy art every day, but it's a lot of art...because I bought my frst real art- I mean, mine, for my place,with my money-from a street artist-when I was 22..and well some time went by since then..:)

(we had some art at home-nothing special, just meaningful to us- when I was a girl but then it was that idiotic rule that if you leave the country-you bring your art, decor, etc to special commitee to look at..well the commitee decided our art belongs to the state. LOL.)

Smth like harsh economical situation will take care of that of course..say I didn't buy art during our remodel..or did I? hm. I guess we did. But it was in Nicaragua! Cheapest country ever. And it was just the beginning of the remodel, so high expectations, all that, lol)

• hcbm
    6 years ago

Mostly I have original art created by family, friends and a few by me. I also have some old prints, lithographs, sculptures etc. I have inherited.

What I don't have are things from Home Goods, I know many people love some of those pieces, but I don't and I also don't have room as I have a super personal connection to every piece I own. I am very lucky to have so many creative people in my life.

• User
    6 years ago

I have both, but I much prefer those done by art students at the local college.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

I have both. I choose by what I like, what I want in my home. Print or original is not the issue.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

I have a real mix; a print of poppies my husband built an amazing fat frame for in the living room and a 6'x6' stretched fabric that I had a woman print in abstract colors of the poppy print in the dining room. Some glass and painting art I bought off etsy, Some signed, numbered prints from a local artist and a framed poster and even an abstract big box store "painting". Oh and framed art my kids did. I guess if I see something I like, the price point is good and I have the perfect spot for it - Then I am happy.

• party_music50
    6 years ago

All original - mostly mine.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I'd love to have the original Lady of Shallot for my powder room, but I don't think the museum will part with it...so I have the print instead...

• drdeb1234
    6 years ago
    We have pretty much only original art in our home. Some done by people we know, others mostly purchased at art shows or done on commission (which is not usually more expensive than work already painted).
    I love having met the artists, having artwork that feels personal and special, and also knowing that it make my home unique.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank YOU, for sharing all of your thoughts on art. I'm deeply touched. I've known many an artist who only sold originals, many who mostly sold prints and several who've made excellent careers licensing through publishers who then sell through the big box stores like Home Goods. And actually, I've had several paintings as framed prints sold through Home Goods...come to think of it.

It all takes creativity to come to life! That's part of what makes art so interesting.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I have oils, watercolors and drawings, some of my favorites being works my husband has done. I've bought from art galleries, flea markets, e-bay etc. I don't have to know the artist personally to appreciate their work - I can see their soul in the art they create. I began with prints when I was in my twenties and then gradually phased them out as I was able to afford the real thing, which always touches me so much more. It's difficult for me to "love" a print, but I used those I thought were beautiful (Gainsborough's painting of a dog being an example) to have something beautiful hanging on the wall which enhanced the decor and atmosphere of a room.

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I hear what some of you are saying about prints...as originals are only 'once' and then not available unless in print form. The right size/price point, too, is so important. Prints really add flexibility in terms of size options.

Monet was my mom's favorite artist and in fact, she's a bit of an impressionism fan to begin with. Claude Debussy was her favorite composer. When I was growing up she had a lot of prints bought from museum gift shops. When I was in Paris looking at original Monet's after college (years ago), two things dawned on me. The first is that the colors were so different from the prints that I had seen—and in the earlier days for off-set prints, those Monet images could be wildly different hues from the originals (and I won't bore any of you with the whys of printing as that's in my background)...but it was an eye opener to see the originals.

The second thing that I noticed was that he left big blank spots in his canvases. I was not expecting to see that as you don't see that in paintings today. I wondered if that was just the nature of the brand new emerging style of impressionism and capturing the moment as quick as possible before the light changed or if it was his eyesight.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I have a Durer print too. Apparently most of the masters are too busy to paint me an original beetle. Most of my art is originals with perhaps a nice print from a children's book and of course...

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Here’s my Durer. I have a thing for bunnies.

• Fori
    6 years ago

• mojomom
    6 years ago

We have a mix. None of the originals are particularly fine. My favorites are a Gerhard CF Miller(a Wisconsin artist and a large watercolor I have had since collage, an oil by a Florida artist, Hector Ubertalli, and perhaps the finest, a Carrol Cloar charcoal study. There are several other watercolors I love, But I am not home and don't remember the artist. Also havea large Paul Caldwell Photogragh and a, my very favorite,a large Abracht signed and numbered archival photo, Waiting for the call.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

I have a few paintings that are originals as well as wood block prints. I have etchings that are signed. I really love antique etchings. I recently bought a print of an etching. I usually want something unique and signed but this was framed so nicely with such beautiful matting, that I bought it. I really like original art. I have purchased off Saatchi Art and have been pleased. I have to feel something when I look at the art and have a deep connection or I won’t purchase it. If it doesn’t go with everything else I don’t care lol. I am looking forward to purchasing more art in the future as my budget allows. I know it will take years.

• tallgrassdesign
    6 years ago
    Why not mix it up? That being said, I’m kind of picky about buying prints. If the original medium was watercolor, ink, or some other medium that lends itself to printing, then I’m game. If the original work was a thick bodied oil or acrylic, I don’t think prints look so great.

Tax time fun fact for lovers of Impressionism: Henry Bloch of H&R Block fame donated his collection of Impressionist art to Kansas City’s Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art a couple of years ago. The only problem? His home was going be void of his beloved art. Solution? Exceptionally high quality print reproductions were made to replace the works being donated to the museum. By the way, the Nelson-Atkins is a fantastic museum, and general admission is FREE! Parking has a reasonable fee and special exhibits have admission fees.

http://kcur.org/post/his-art-now-nelson-atkins-henry-bloch-puts-fakes-home#stream/0
  • artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Most of the art in my house is original, with a few prints ( these include some limited edition prints obtained from the artist.)

I will be hanging some of my own art/photography as well.

• Ryan Snow
    6 years ago
    The artists I collect tend to express themselves in print form

Daniel Danger
    Easo Andrews
    Aaron Horkey
    Shepard Fairey
    Mike Sutfin Etc
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

I have all original paintings in my house. I discovered this wonderful watercolor painter named Virgil Carter. He's a painter, teacher, workshop leader and holds periodic gallery exhibitions...Bob likes his work too! This is his "All My Friends Are In the Barn"...the story of a beautiful Amish farm in southeastern Pennsylvania.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Who’s Bob?

• krissy377
    6 years ago

I prefer artist's work.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

I have this Picasso, nicely framed, from an original bottle that we enjoyed.

I have a couple of other Picasso prints, as well. Can't afford the originals.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I prefer original works, but many of my originals are original prints and lithographs. A fine antique print can be very valuable and expensive (a Besler botanical can run anywhere from $2500-10,000 depending on rarity - unframed!), or can be quite affordable (Curtis botanicals and Cassell's poultry prints). Original prints are very good value compared to oils and watercolors. But I have some of those, too - some by local artists on the Vineyard.

I've only bought a reproduction prints once and it was with great reluctance. My late husband had seen an oil painting by well known coastal artist, Ray Ellis. It was gorgeous - had the Edgartown Yacht Club in it as well as the light house. It was $40,000 so that was NOT going to be ours.

A year later, a limited edition of signed giclee version became available - it was $750 unframed. My husband (a total non-materialist) wanted this print. He was dying and we ordered it. It came in several months later and went to be framed immediately. A few weeks later, he was in the hospital dying. Called the frame shop, they did a rush order and a friend picked it up and amazingly, hospital maintenance hung it at 5PM on a Friday! He died on Sunday night, but loved looking at his picture and all the memories it held for him.

I had it over the bed in our bedroom for a few years but I just never really liked the fact that it was a giclee - it just looked very fake. I gave it to my son and he has it in his apt over his sofa - looks great there. I replaced it with an antique oil painting of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that had belonged to the grand dame of the Cavalier Club - her family did not want it and I got it for a song. It looks much better than the giclee print.

Collecting art is something that takes a lifetime. A local antique print dealer once told me that one need NEVER apologize for a blank wall - the right art will finally appear and one will buy it. In the meantime, no cheap "place holders". She was right and still is right.