SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
futura431

New kitchen layout ideas - Please help :)

futura431
6 years ago

I'll start by saying I am not an architect nor a professional so please excuse my first attempt at providing our current kitchen layout. Our house is a 1950s ranch located in Southern California that was updated about 20ish years ago (we think.) This kitchen is fine, for now, but the longer we are here (18 months now) the more things we find about it that we dislike. It was upgraded, at the time, with nice appliances, floors etc. The cabinets have been painted white and are already chipping and cracking. The countertops are basic level Corian that I strongly dislike as they stain very easily. We have an electric cooktop with build-in downdraft that absolutely HAS to go. We have plenty of storage space but mostly we lack adequate continuous prep space. Because of the French doors into the kitchen, we are limited in how we can expand. Our plan is to keep the existing footprint to keep the existing plumbing but hopefully somehow carve out longer spaces of prep space. We are open to the idea of a range instead of the double ovens however ideally we'd keep two ovens so maybe a 48" range plus a single wall oven somewhere. I love the way an electric oven bakes but as I already mentioned, I don't love the electric cooktop. We are still scratching our heads wondering why they would spend so much money on a remodel and put in a $900 cooktop. Any and all suggestions and plans you can provide would be great! We'd like to add an island if possible but the space, while adequate, isn't huge so we are limited. I should add that behind the wall with the dishwasher/sink is our living room and that wall IS 100% load bearing. There is a beam that goes 3/4 of the way across the room. It ends about where the 29 inches of counter space are located. That wall is flanked with 4 cabinets above that space. Thank you!

Comments (3)