SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alerievay1

Please critique new kitchen layout idea

alerievay1
8 years ago

Previous thread is here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3495159/late-50s-ranch-with-addition-keep-current-layout-and-footprint. I'll put the main floor layout and current kitchen layout in posts in this thread, just for reference.

So, I think moving the kitchen to the sunroom is a long shot, for a number of reasons (cost and complexity being the two primary reasons). However, I did some brainstorming and came up with an idea that seems plausible. It basically would turn the current kitchen into a pantry/scullery and move the cooking area into the current dining room. There are some complexities with this, too (additional plumbing, flooring, minor structural changes), but it may work and provide me with a small island.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! I know the countertop would need to be deeper on the island, and I know it's a little narrow. There are at least 42", including countertops, between the cooking area and the island. There is less than that between the chairs and the fireplace hearth, with an overhang. However, our current layout in the dining room is actually tighter with a table, chairs, and 24" cabinetry (pantry cabinets and desk area), so we understand the traffic issues. Also, we do not currently use the fireplace and would put in a gas insert if we decide to do that.

Comments (11)