SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
britwooten_gw

New Construction Kitchen Layout: Need critiqued!

britwooten
9 years ago

We are about to sign a contract to start building our home, and are getting nervous about a few things! The kitchen seemed fine right up until the end, when we realized this was such as permanent decision :)

This is by no means a huge kitchen, but there is absolutely no space to make it wider. We could expand off of the eat-in area if necessary. I have contemplated expanding the eat-in area and then flipping the two areas so that the kitchen area is larger. However, I don't know if it would be strange to have an eat-in area with no windows. I have come to terms with no windows in my kitchen after walking through a few houses (as long as there are lots of large windows in the eat-in area).

We were thinking the back wall (behind the island) could be a wall of shallow cabinets with tall doors to use as a pantry. The large double doors pictured was supposed to be a double fridge/freezer combo, but I am debating taking that down to a standard fridge to gain cabinet space (although we like the idea of the double unit to get rid of our upright freezer!) .

A few details: The back wall of cabinets are 15 1/2" deep. There is 4'6" between those cabinets and the island. There is 3'9" between the island and the standard cabinets. The island is 2'6" wide by 5'10" long. I really don't want to use my island for a sink/range because it is my primary work space as I HATE prepping with overhead cabinets above me. Also, I have an 8 foot span of cabinets in my butlers pantry off of the dining room for a bit of extra storage.

Right now, we are planning the sink centered with the island so it is more accessible to the table, but could switch it with the range (on the short run of cabinets).

Please let me know if this is a workable space! If it is just terrible, then tell me... I can take the heat :)

Comments (8)