SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
urbanfarmer7b

10 year old Pear espalier - lessons learned

urbanfarmer7b
6 years ago

I wanted to post an updated picture of my pear tree espalier. When I started this 10 years ago, my wife called it my 10 year experiment. I was a big follower of the fruit and forum. I read more Q&A than actually posting. Every time someone would post about espaliers or pruning, it would usually be like me with a 1-2 year old tree and questions. At the time, I wished someone would have posted what a 10 year espalier looks like. So here it is. I did the same with apples which are not in the picture (and they are full of water sprouts - still learning, and I should probably post them as well). One of my lessons learned is that Pears are much more forgiving in that they form spurs more readily and grow in a more controlled pattern. You may want to start with a pear for a few years and then switch over to an apple if you have the time and space. The left is Orient and the right is Moonglow, both fireblight resistant, and the pears seem to be more bug and fungus resistant than the apples. Another lesson learned is that the Moonglow and Orient only barely overlap in pollination. You definitely need to think that through from the beginning. They've started to overlap more as they get older, but for a while, I wasn't sure it was going to work. This is far from perfect, and it is a collection of 10 years of learning. When I find some more space I'd like to do it right from the beginning.

Thanks to all of the experts on the forum for all of fruit tree and pruning knowledge over the years.

Comments (8)